RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

sharpend

May 26, 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

dislocated sholder
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I dislocated my sholder reaching for a hold today
has any body ever had a similar siuation
It hurs like hell
how long can I expect not to be climbing :(

dwise

May 26, 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Re: dislocated sholder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Been there, done that, got the tshirt many times. Expect it to dislocate again much more easily. I've climbed a few weeks after a dislocation and I've also had to lay off for a few months. The biggest pain in the butt is the lack of confidence that follows the injury. Usually, just when I'm feeling strong and jump on something difficult, I dislocate it again. So, I end up being gun shy and not pushing myself.

If it continues to dislocate, see an ortho doc to see if you need surgery. Until then, see a physical thereapist, lay off climbing for a few weeks (even months if need be) and take the time to let it heal/strengthen up. There are several good exercises to strengthen the muscles around the joint. With surgery, expect to lay off climbing for 6mos to a year. :(

crotch

May 26, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I dislocated my sholder reaching for a hold today
has any body ever had a similar siuation
It hurs like hell
how long can I expect not to be climbing :(

Anterior or posterior dislocation? Did you reduce it yourself or did you have to see an MD? How long was it out of joint?

It's been a while, but I remember being told to avoid strenuous overhead motion for 6 weeks after dislocating my shoulder.

If it's an anterior dislocation and you are a young male, expect this to be the first of many times....

Partner wormly81

May 26, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Midway through January I dislocated and separated my shoulder in an unfortunate halfpipe incident. It was out for about a minute until I stood up straight and felt it "squish" back into place. That arm didnt work for a month and there were times it was so painful I had to carry that arm around with my other arm. [isnt that some great stuff right there] 6 weeks after the incident I was sking again but very very cautously because my shoulder was VERY weak. Another 2 weeks later I was able to pack my sking gear up tuckermans ravine and live through the decent, rather painful but I wasnt doing any more damage.

My shoulder has become stronger since then but it remains weak to this very day and will most likely be a problem at some time in the future. The pain of rehabing it really sucks because its strong enough to climb a good bit but then after climbing it aches/hurts/feels weak, more of a constant reminder than a real physical issue. Still cant sleep on it and I loved sleeping on that side :(

Anyway best of luck with your shoulder. Be nice to it because it can make your life miserable.

ullr

May 27, 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who reduced (put it back into place) it? You may have 'subluxed' it. Where the head of your humerus nearly dislocates and thumps back into place.

I dislocated (anterior/inferior) in a skiing fall a year ago. Had it reduced in the ER. Started climbing about four months later. It has been a year now. No further problems. But also no crazy moves on the shoulder fully extended, etc.

Like others said, men under 30 have about a 50% chance of dislocating again. Chances lessen as you get older, perhaps in part due to common lifestyle aging characteristics.

Go find a good ortho doc and rehab referral. Learn about agravating positions for your shoulder, etc. Take your time and be cautious when you return to climbing.

lossinsantafe

May 27, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dislocated my shoulder a little over 2 years ago... Spent about 6 weeks in a sling, then slowly did resistance weight training on that arm over the next 2 months to get the strength back. Depending on the doctor, they might want to do surgery on it, my sister (also a doctor) advised that sometimes the surgery does nothing to improve or prevent it from happening again. I didn't get the surgery and trained it back to full strength, hasn't popped back out since...

sharpend

May 27, 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is my second time
the furst i parilized my deltoid. it came back after 4 months
it does not apear that way now but the doc that i had befor said that if i dislocate again i WILL have to have surgery
am i realy out of climbing for up to a year

ullr

May 27, 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some docs don't do surgery until several dislocations have occurred. Others may be quicker to do so.

I imagine you could climb without having the surgery, depending upon your rehab success and stability.

You need to just see your ortho doc and rehab folks. Accurate medical answers are hard to come by on the internet.

Good luck.

sharpend

May 27, 2004, 10:19 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook