Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

musicman

May 28, 2004, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

wasted climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so me and my buddies were up climbing and were on Escape Buttress and there was a group of stoned climbers up there. they were drinking vodka outa there nalgene's too, i could smell it. it wasn't the best thought to think of a group of stoners up on the cliff with us, especially as they were in the process of getting drunk, not sure why i'm writing this, but, hmmm, it was not a good thing

billcoe_

May 28, 2004, 5:21 AM
Post #2 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Re: wasted climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You sure you live in Utah?

areyoumydude

May 28, 2004, 5:25 AM
Post #3 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wasted climbers? Holy crap. :roll:

tradmania

May 28, 2004, 5:36 AM
Post #4 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My gawd, how dare people participate in autonomous activities.

Partner tim

May 28, 2004, 5:56 AM
Post #5 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's terribly irresponsible of them. Alcohol will rot your liver, and it costs a lot more than acid, which is what you should be mixing with your dope on a route. Damn kids.

bvb

May 28, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #6 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

musicman, take my advice and find a new sport now. like knitting. fukking n00b.

jcr

May 28, 2004, 6:55 AM
Post #7 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weeeell, as for me I never drink WHILE Im climbing...

buuuuuuuut.........

HOLY $HIT DO I DRINK WHEN I FINISH CLIMBING, I THINK OF IT AS A REWARD,

a nice 20 pack of beers over at potrero chico at night while me and my belay are camping ooooh and dont forget the TEQUILA.... HELL YEAHHH, just to get up next morning and hit the rock once again (not after a couple of gallons of water for the hangover hahahaha, which is sometimes a punishment hehe)

My opinion..... you dont drink, you're in the wrong sport buddy.

JC

ctclimbz

May 28, 2004, 7:10 AM
Post #8 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really care if you drink or smoke, but putting up lame trolls like this is a waste or internet bandwidth. If you don't like to drink or get high, leave those who do alone, and carry on about your business.

mush

May 28, 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #9 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bull....don't rip on someone for asking about that crap. Nicotine, marijuana and alcohol have many harmful effects, some obvious, and others (neurophysiology and musculature response) that most people don't know. In addition, people all messed up act like idiots and can make a climbing area unsafe. The hell if I'll climb with someone like that. But I suppose ... if a bunch of idiots want to climb wasted...and risk themselves injury...who am I to care?

nature

May 28, 2004, 1:11 PM
Post #10 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have two choices - deal with the folks getting wasted or leave. You don't have to climb with or around them but, as pointed out, it is an autonomous sport - people have every right to do as they please.

A lot of people that climb also smoke/drink - sometimes during, almost always after. Heck, where do you think the Magic Mushroom got it's name?!?

That said, you do have a right to question it if you like, though IMHO, only for your own education.

*puff* *puff*

plund

May 28, 2004, 2:04 PM
Post #11 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh unabonger...we're waiting with bated breath...

sawdust

May 28, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #12 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I save the festivities for after a long day of climbing.

killclimbz

May 28, 2004, 2:41 PM
Post #13 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would just make sure I was no where in the drop zone of that party. If they want to drink, smoke up, and climb that is just fine. It's like soloing. A personal choice.
A number of years ago at Shelf I was climbing near a party of two, who were getting high and drinking. One of them went on to lead a 12 while the other was drinking and smoking. His partner got to the anchors and while they were being changed out he was bragging about how much he drank and smoked that day. I hear this call from the anchors saying "that's me." A second later homeboy who is belaying is yanked 6 ft in the air and his partner is just above him. He never brought the slack in and his buddy took a 40ft toprope fall! His partner again stated "THAT WOULD BE ME!" was a little pissed and gave me a huge laugh. At least he caught him. We decided at that point it was time to visit a different part of the crag before we got into a real mess.

petsfed

May 28, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #14 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't like 'em? Leave. Nobody is forcing you to put up with them.

/Hungover and homeless again

ctclimbz

May 28, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #15 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bull....don't rip on someone for asking about that crap. Nicotine, marijuana and alcohol have many harmful effects, some obvious, and others (neurophysiology and musculature response) that most people don't know.

Bull? I disagree. Strongly. Ths poster is not 'asking' about the neurophysiological affects of alcohol and THC, he is making a judgment call about those climbers, and proudly proclaiming those sentiments to everybody. I don't waste your time with posts like 'I was chillin at the crag smoking a phatty, and these stupid ass noobs rolled up, started making a bunch of noise, tying up all the routes with topropes, acting like morons and ruining the atmosphere while we trying to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.'

In reply to:
But I suppose ... if a bunch of idiots want to climb wasted...and risk themselves injury...who am I to care?

Exactly. Keep it that way. I don't make comments about your ugly mug, keep your judgments about what I choose to put in mine to your self.

mush

May 28, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #16 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well he/she should've been asking about those effects. If he/she/you knew what the effects were...you would know what happens to the body/brain when under influence of substances. All of these things make individuals less able to perform physical feats and to employ adequate cognitive approaches to anything..including JUDGEMENT ...let alone climbing.

Obviously you partake in substance use and feel insulted by my comment. Substance use is not the activity in question, mixing it with life-threatening sports is. Also, you seem not to understand the purpose of forums. Free speech. Keeping comments to ones' self would eliminate the need for forums. How can you insult my mug? Insulting me cuz I choose health seems kind of absurd, no?

mush

May 28, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #17 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

also, i'm not ripping on the poster....

i'm ripping on those who advocate substance use whilst engaging in sport and those... advocating blatant substance use in general...

Partner rocdaug

May 28, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #18 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

darwinism at it's finest. :roll:

mush

May 28, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #19 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sure seems like it :)

valeberga

May 28, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #20 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OH MY GOD. :shock:

Vodka in a Nalgene? What a WASTE of good vodka. Imagine all of the slime and crud that seeps in from the bottle, yucky. :x

Partner happiegrrrl

May 28, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #21 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just starting out, and meeting lots of climbers. For myself, I will look at those who drink/use drugs WHILE climbing in the same way I would view a person who has unsafe climbing practices. I wouldn't enjoy being below their climb either, though I am sure it is going to happen.

As for hanging out with people getting wasted afterward, I will enjoy the heightened fun that comes from inhibitions loosened, but when it gets too much, time for this one to crash.

Partner tim

May 28, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #22 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well he/she should've been asking about those effects. If he/she/you knew what the effects were...you would know what happens to the body/brain when under influence of substances. All of these things make individuals less able to perform physical feats and to employ adequate cognitive approaches to anything..including JUDGEMENT ...let alone climbing.

Obviously you partake in substance use and feel insulted by my comment. Substance use is not the activity in question, mixing it with life-threatening sports is. Also, you seem not to understand the purpose of forums. Free speech. Keeping comments to ones' self would eliminate the need for forums.

Look dude, your personal choices are your own. If you are climbing with someone who is uncomfortable with you being stoned on the other end of the rope (whether on lead or on belay), then or vice versa, then it is not appropriate to spark up. But if a bunch of people want to get baked on a route and are comfortable with the additional risks it may pose, then that's their own damn decision. As long as they aren't raining rocks or gear down on other parties, I just don't see the problem. Plenty of sober gumbies drop gear/rocks/etc.

The number of hard climbers that I know who smoke dope is a significant proportion, maybe 50%+ ? It seems to calm down the nerves for them. I've smoked plenty of weed in my life and it just doesn't do anything for me. But it also doesn't do anything to me when someone else wants to get baked. I don't, but obviously Dean Potter or John Long came out of it OK ;-) suggesting that the effects are different for different people. I know some guys who aren't interested in getting out on a hard scary lead unless they're stoned.

So, given all this, if the guys in question weren't posing an immediate danger, what's the problem? If they crater it's their own damn fault, just like anyone else.

sarcat

May 28, 2004, 4:13 PM
Post #23 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The poster has some reason to be pertrubed. The Escape Buttress has some serious drops near it and getting to it requires a hike over a 150'er with scree on the trail. Impared people while having the right to do as they please may force others into a rescue situation.

in 1999 there was a fatality in that exact area and the person wasn't impared.

Just a thought.

delarig

May 28, 2004, 4:13 PM
Post #24 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so me and my buddies were up climbing and were on Escape Buttress and there was a group of stoned climbers up there. they were drinking vodka outa there nalgene's too, i could smell it. it wasn't the best thought to think of a group of stoners up on the cliff with us, especially as they were in the process of getting drunk, not sure why i'm writing this, but, hmmm, it was not a good thing
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....That was me and my friends...I hope I did'nt offend you.

ctclimbz

May 28, 2004, 4:14 PM
Post #25 of 88 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If he/she/you knew what the effects were...you would know what happens to the body/brain when under influence of substances. All of these things make individuals less able to perform physical feats and to employ adequate cognitive approaches to anything..including JUDGEMENT ...let alone climbing.

What a misguided statement that is. How can you possibly suggest I don't know what the effects are of the things I put into my body? Do you have any idea what I ingest, or how much research I've done on the effects of those things? Of course not. I would suggest to you that I know a heck of a lot better how my body interacts with what I put into it than you do. As far as being less able to perform physical feats, or employ adequate cognitive approaches... speak for your self 'mush.' :roll:

In reply to:
Obviously you partake in substance use and feel insulted by my comment. Substance use is not the activity in question, mixing it with life-threatening sports is. Also, you seem not to understand the purpose of forums. Free speech. Keeping comments to ones' self would eliminate the need for forums. How can you insult my mug? Insulting me cuz I choose health seems kind of absurd, no?

Again, ridiculous drivel. I protect my health as much as anybody, and you don't know that I use substances. Nor am I trying to limit your free speech. :roll: I am simply pointing out that uninformed comments and judgments, such as the ones you are making, should be kept to yourself. I think this sums it up best:

In reply to:
take my advice and find a new sport now. like knitting. fukking n00b.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook