Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blacksamba

Apr 26, 2002, 12:42 AM
Post #1 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Naming Gym Routes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I always used to joke about this with my friends and thought no one would be so silly to name a gym route, but i just moved and the gym i live near lets the setters name their routes.

Does this seem absolutely retarded to anyone?

This is an evening at the local gym

"hey man I just sent the ponies superslenderlicious baseball hat"

"duuuuuuuude, aweeesome bra, have ya like tried munchkin rumble?"

"yeah but that crimper was way jingus and my foot hit some tape and i peeled..."

anyway what the hell is wrong with calling it blue tape route and grading it?

ben

Partner pianomahnn

Apr 26, 2002, 2:56 AM
Post #2 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Naming Gym Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There was this route I set in the gym, and a huge amount of the older crowd really loved it, a nice 5.9 lead/traverse deal.

Anyways, I named it the "Tom Cruise Traverse."

In situations where a route is longstanding, I see no reason why naming it is lame.

jgorris

Apr 26, 2002, 3:02 AM
Post #3 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It beats referring to the route by the tape color.

crazywacky

Apr 26, 2002, 3:47 AM
Post #4 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to second what jgorris said. I mean, how may blue tape routes can you have in a gym anyway? The naming definitely helps. And it helps the gyms employees when they have to track down a loose hold, or other route issues..

oh, and points to blacksamba for originality in posting duuuuuuuude..
I was laughing my butt off.

sonofspork

Apr 26, 2002, 3:51 AM
Post #5 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DOES IT REALLY MATTER!!!!

WHY ARE CLIMBERS SO DAMN CRITICAL ABOUT EVERYTHING???

WHY CANT "yall" JUST SHUT THE MONKEY UP AND CLIMB!!!

JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS NEW AND DIFFERNT DOES NOT MAKE IT BAD GOOD OR ANYTHING!!!!!

GROW UP!!

qacwac

Apr 26, 2002, 3:55 AM
Post #6 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Name it, don't name it. No biggy. I don't think there's anything morally wrong with it.

blacksamba

Apr 26, 2002, 3:16 PM
Post #7 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

perhaps I meant this as more of a critique of gym climber mentality where they spray about routes they have done or put gym routes on their climbing resume'

anyway
it bugs me
ben

bigevilgrape

Apr 26, 2002, 4:06 PM
Post #8 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

our gym names routes and i like it. it is much easier to keep track of what you have routes you did, and its easier to give someone a name then say it was that blue route in the corner.

howitzer

Apr 26, 2002, 4:09 PM
Post #9 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You said it Spork! All routes at gyms I've ever been to are named by the setter. That's half the fun of setting a route... What's the big deal?! - move on and climb on.

[ This Message was edited by: howitzer on 2002-04-26 09:18 ]

dustinap
Deleted

Apr 26, 2002, 5:13 PM
Post #10 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My home gym is very large, and with the amount of routes we have we need named routes. For instance.

Someone asks me in the lead cave at our gym what route I'm getting on.

Me "red one"

Guy "Me too, but which red one"

Me " red 12D"

Guy "Think I'll be in your way if I get on the red 11D 6 feet across from the red 12D?"

me "No, I think it'll be alright."

So, it's not necessary to ame routes if they're graded, but it's fun for the route setters probably.

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2002-04-26 10:14 ]

blacksamba

Apr 26, 2002, 6:22 PM
Post #11 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey there ol spork a roo

growing up is an integral part of life,

yet some things still bother adults...

I am bothered by the attitude that we have to name everything grade it and slap recognition on it so that we can fill some empty portion of our life.

It might be fun to name a gym route but it's about as masterbatory as hugh grant going to a prostitute. I mean the guy was freaking married to LIZ HURLEY!!!!!!! LIZ FREAKING HURLEY

You are scratchin your head at the analogy?

well... gym routes (unless your gym sucks and never changes routes, or the route is so amazingly brillant that climbers from around the world flock to climb your stylie possible 5.15 named scrotum throat) are by essence impermenent, and a name is a permenant thing. Naming something that has a limited life seems like a waste of time.

Back to the analogy, why spend time naming routes that are created when you can climb new routes outside and name them with your super stylie name. It seems that the whole fun issue is redundant, number the routes or whatever but does it really need the satisfaction of a name.

Perhaps you say I am being an anal no fun arse with too much TRADITUDE, so sue me, I am. The point remains that gym routes dont need to be named and that naming them makes them seem much more important then they actually are.

CORALLARY:

NO Professional/semi professional climbers spray about the red tape route or the blue tape route.

Why? Because they do not matter!!!!

Likewise natural routes which have been enhanced are seen as tainted and do not receive the recognition as a similarly graded natural route (see the master beta column in Climbing on the comparison between Akira and Realization in Ceuse)

ANYWAY it does matter (at least to me) because some people do not want to see the gym as the focal point of climbing, the crag is where we should put our creative energy not in some dank hole.

ben

dupree

Apr 26, 2002, 7:01 PM
Post #12 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it Willy S. that said something about a rose by any name?

dustinap
Deleted

Apr 26, 2002, 7:15 PM
Post #13 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why name outside routes?

Why not just say like,

"Dude, like you are in Yosemite, on the road, and you'll make a sharp left, then like dude. You'll see a radical like pointy rock formation[remeber, it's not named] then like walk up to the thing. You'll see some radical chalk marks brutha, like then scramble to the left most side where you see even more chalk, three lines right of that there is the über hard route! Like send that bro!"

On a big rock formation, you 'd never find your route. Same geos for a large gym. In my gym we have probably well over a 100 routes, and use 6 colors. Red, Purple, Orange, Yellow, Blue, White. Think of what it'd be like in there without names. Especally since on some walls there might be 8 5.10's next to eachother.

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2002-04-26 12:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2002-04-26 12:18 ]

blacksamba

Apr 26, 2002, 8:53 PM
Post #14 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eh..........

like I said a gym has the option to number routes which by the way seems to be a little better then naming them as far a referencing goes, people dont seem to have a hard time finding numbers.

I also dont think there are any gym's that have more routes then a well developed crag so naming them for sake of reference is riduculous, also since the routes are changed people refering to them have no frame of reference to speak from. You will always be able to refer to astroman with a sense of permance but the blue tape route known as "pimpin & scrimpin" here today
gone tommorow and if you missed it you are left scratching your head wondering

"gee that sounds kinda cool wished I come to the gym last week." you go home in a quiet depression and that night having drunk a quart of bourbon blow your head off because you missed the greatest gym route ever and you cant find the remote control, you are not quite sure which is worse and besides you were listening to judas priest and heard voice and then blamo.

as far as naming routes outside why not number them I dont care.

As far communication information for the outdoors why not just speak in suggestive shrugs and use no words, that might make beta pantomiming an artform in itself and revive the lost cart of topographic and cartographic map making. Finally good topo's to those nameless features we yearn to climb.

ben

treyr

Apr 28, 2002, 1:32 PM
Post #15 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know that is just a little over use of slang

Trob

Partner russman

Apr 29, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #16 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this made me think of a route potential name that a setter in my local gym was goign to call his new "corner" route...The Green Reacharound

then the owner decided that "reacharound" was not appropriate...now it is jsut Green Corner I think

i thought that was pretty funny.

spremegoat

Apr 29, 2002, 11:43 PM
Post #17 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

naming routes is harmless fun, besides only a few people outside the route setter even care what the name is. I have a small home wall and i put some descriptive names on my routes because i am really bad at grading them andfigure that the names provide some idea of what kind of route it is (ex: topsider is all holds within a 4-foot wide area along the top of the wall). Anyways, transitory names are not a problem, thats like saying we shouldnt name pets because , even thou we may enjoy them and take pride in them, they will die long before we do...
sidenote- does anyone have a copy of the guide to Chickey's Rock or know any of the grades of the routes there? Its the closest outdoor spot to me and any beta would be nice. thanks

mr_gondola

Apr 30, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #18 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I think indoor routes should definitely be numbered or distinguished from outdoor routes. Same as climbers here probably shouldn't brag about their 12d onsites of indoor leads. The two just aren't the same. Period.

blacksamba

Apr 30, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #19 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you mr gondola you get a big 10 from me

btw

does any one remember the band reacharound they had some cool singles back in 1995-6 I think.

I thought they were pretty cool

sharmagod

Apr 30, 2002, 4:58 PM
Post #20 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of the routes we have at the gym have names.Personally I dont see a problem with it and think its pretty cool.What harm does it cause really???Answer me that!!!

k2exp2010

Apr 30, 2002, 6:18 PM
Post #21 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I climb, I get involved with my routes. When I accomplish something, I feel good about it and a name lets me associate the experience to the route. Even the bad ones I remember by name. A route-name helps me distinguish my climbs. I don't remember what I did differently between "blue-tape #2342" and "yellow-tape #1112", but I do remember what happened when I started out on "Snow Ball 5.7" and traversed over to "Chance In Hell 5.11c".

[ This Message was edited by: k2exp2010 on 2002-05-24 17:56 ]

jdcox_9

Apr 30, 2002, 7:01 PM
Post #22 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe someone could name a gym route:

All i can see is rc.com members bickering

Why do people have to complain (or even tell other people how things should be)

You climb your way, he'll climb his way, she'll climb her way, and I'll climb my way

everyone is different and that doesn't mean that one persons style of climbing or naming routes(in or outdoors)is wrong.

xen_monkey

Apr 30, 2002, 7:54 PM
Post #23 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Truely I don't care if you name it or don't as long as you mark it. I hate those gyms that have a board somewhere with a map of the gym and on the map is marked the rating. I spend friggin day counting starions and reading upside down friggin maps so I don't try and waste myself on climbs I can't do without warming up.
But the nameing issue is simple. People like to name things it lets them think they own or define it. Why not just call your dog "dog" and every other dog, "Dog." Nomenclature helps define are view of the world, keep things organized in our heads. Hell half the time I don't use the names its just the 5.10 in the corner by the bathrooms, but it sometimes helps to refernce to others with the name. There might be three 5.10 by the bathroom and there's no use in giving beta to someone if there going to jump on the wrong climb when you turn your back.
But I'm just blowing smoke out of my ass, I don't think this is really a moot point.

blacksamba

Apr 30, 2002, 8:02 PM
Post #24 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps there is too much traditude in my office let me open a window, wait no that didnt help i am still as "bickerish" as ever

the blue 5.10 by the head seems to work for or the red 5.9 by the stairs or whatever.

Plus i have the pleasure of never remembering any gym route but i do recal every slopping hold and dime edge on fat albert and the gang in LCC utah or every other three star climb i/ve done.

so to sum it all up

name gym routes if you want to because I will be putting up FA's with real permenant names, and my dog will be there and I will be listening reacharound

ben

djax

May 2, 2002, 3:12 AM
Post #25 of 33 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Naming routes IS part of the fun. There's one at my local gym named "To V or not to V" (it's a V1, and there's another neverending debate heh heh)
How 'bout a guidebook for a gym. Sounds kind of crazy but it's actually become quite usefull. Planet Rock has one.

I was at the gym the other day and had to wait in line to get on a route. All I could think was "damn it's getting as bad as the crags at this place"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook