Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Partner philbox

Jun 8, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #101 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Re: new v16 in grampians australia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is this bouldering.com. Keep it civil and quit with the personal attacks guys otherwise I`m gunna hafta come in here and clean this place up. Don`t make me come in here (fathers cranky voice). :wink:

crux_clipper

Jun 9, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #102 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

darkstar, im pretty sure he did the whole linkup - starting at x-treme cool and finishing on cave rave, or eve rev - unsure of which he finished on. Iassume this is what you call the tunnel to tunnel version?

he also did a v15 called Sleepy rave which is Sleepy Hollow + Cave Girl + Dead Can't Dance.

sixter

Jun 9, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #103 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we can all agree that badass has proved the old adage "It is better for people to think you a fool than to open your mouth and prove them right."

scuclimber

Jun 9, 2004, 8:50 AM
Post #104 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let's keep this thread on track please..

"Oh no! A cow! And we don't have a cow-catcher! Good lord, we're gonna hit." BANG! POW!!! CRASH!!! (Holy Union Pacific Batman!) "Everyone all right?" "Yeah, but now we're off the track." This thread should have died long ago. Wow. Somebody please mod this unholy pile of sh!t. Ok, leaving now.

scuclimber

Jun 9, 2004, 9:04 AM
Post #105 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think we can all agree that badass has proved the old adage "It is better for people to think you a fool than to open your mouth and prove them right."

Agreed. Hopefully Phil's threat will get people to quit being wankers.

phnompenh

Jun 9, 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #106 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously, there needs to be an international organization to determine grades. The rules should be very complex and codified. The organization should consult physicists, ethecists, and, of course, SETI.

Perhaps the UN Security Council should take on this responsibility. The US and France could battle it out over rating like ice skating judges.

thatweakguy

Jun 14, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #107 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt, I understand and appreciate both grading scales. I disagree with your opinionated view that the V-grade is just for spraying. I believe that people use it as a personal bench mark, to push themselves further and pick future projects. (No grade is fallable - everyone climbs differently and has different strengths and weaknesses, blah blah blah)

The b grade, suits a fun day cruising through boulder fields and just getting on a heap of stuff and climbing for fun. The days you want to go out and push yourself or work a project the V grade is more appropriate.

If I go to a new area, especially on an unfamiliar type of rock, the B grade is going to be useless to me. If I go to an area where majority of things are easy for me, it is great.

thatweakguy

Jun 14, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #108 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So a V4 linked into a V10 would be (V4 + V10 + 4) /2 = V9 :(

V14/V15/V16 - It doesn't matter, it is a huge achievement. For those of you who have struggled with the concept, wait till someone repeats it and it all starts again.

curt

Jun 14, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #109 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Curt, I understand and appreciate both grading scales. I disagree with your opinionated view that the V-grade is just for spraying. I believe that people use it as a personal bench mark, to push themselves further and pick future projects. (No grade is fallable - everyone climbs differently and has different strengths and weaknesses, blah blah blah)

The b grade, suits a fun day cruising through boulder fields and just getting on a heap of stuff and climbing for fun. The days you want to go out and push yourself or work a project the V grade is more appropriate.

If I go to a new area, especially on an unfamiliar type of rock, the B grade is going to be useless to me. If I go to an area where majority of things are easy for me, it is great.

I was actually trying to make a couple of points in my earlier posts. The first, which you allude to is that the "V" system has turned bouldering into a mere sprayfest activity for many. The second (and perhaps more relevant point to this thread) is that a 60 move route is a climb rather than a boulder problem--and should be rated as such. By the way, this does not diminish the magnitude of Dai's accomplishment to me in any way, it should merely be recognized for what it is.

Curt

bobtheboulderer

Jun 14, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #110 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if that is a V16, then The Nose should be a V50. Curt makes an excellent point.

mungeclimber

Jun 15, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #111 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

V50? That's gotta be damn near close to 5.13R/X

wyattearp

Jun 15, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #112 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why should it be rated as a climb if he bouldered it? WTF? He did not use any gear, nor a rope, so should we call it a Solo? The place where he climbed it is a BOULDERING area, aka HOLLOW MOUNTAIN CAVE, Just cause the amount of moves on the Boulder problem, is over 60 moves, it is 2 long boulder problems linked into each other, yet now he must grade it as a Route, sounds like some good old fashioned BS! Congrats Dai good V16!!! :D

mingus

Jun 15, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #113 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wyatt, that isn't old school it just makes sense to a lot of us. For me anything longer than 25 feet just doesn't make sense as a V grade. Certainly once a 'problem' gets to be 60 feet long it has much more in common with route gradings than boulder problems. How can you then compare Dai's achievement with Dreamtime?

It doesn't matter how it was done -when someone solos a route we don't give it a V grade and we wouldn't call Midnight Lightning 5.13 if someone TRed it.

Congrats to Dai for cranking something so hard - it doesn't really need to be quantified to be rad.

badass

Jun 15, 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #114 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look, all he did was link boulder problems to create a climbing route. Several questions half to be asked. Is there a jug seperating the 3 problems? Also, if this thing is a boulder problem then he should have been able to do the first problem then add one move, then gradually add another, and another. If all he had to do was link the routes in an endurance way that is crap. That means the routes are graded purely on endurance anyway. What is going to happen when someone links two 5.15 climbing pitches together? Are we supposed to call it 5.20?

wyattearp

Jun 15, 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #115 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See I dont undestand WHY IT makes no sense? Both the problems he linked together were bothe 30+ moves and each cranked in at v14! So should the problems at the Cave start being rated as routes, to me its a bunch of bull, Dai used no gear, to me this is the whole difference between Bouldering and Route Climbing, And besides that this has been an open Project for many many years, and now that it has been climbed it must now take on a different rating system, get real and think about it...... A v14.... is somthing that most climber will never achieve, and only in the past 10 years has this grade even been solidified into the community. A v14 is so fucking hard, the holds are so non existent that it defies logic! And the V scale will only continue to grow.... what did we all think it was gonna stop at v14, v15, V?... NO as more and more mutants spawn into our world, the grades will only continue to grow, Kids will be warming up on Dreamtime, so they can go tackle their Projects!!!! I mean get real progression is all a part of the game and Dai has now opened a new door into the limits off people... CONgrats Dai... climb a couple more V16's and then a V17 jus to piss off the elderly peeps of rc.com!

badass

Jun 15, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #116 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 moves long at V14. The crux could be V6. I want to see a 5 move V14 linked into another. Then you might have something.

wyattearp

Jun 16, 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #117 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah one of the cruxes is Dead cant dance a nasty 5 move V12, so the crux aint v6 badass

curt

Jun 16, 2004, 1:06 AM
Post #118 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
See I dont undestand WHY IT makes no sense? Both the problems he linked together were bothe 30+ moves and each cranked in at v14! So should the problems at the Cave start being rated as routes, to me its a bunch of bull, Dai used no gear, to me this is the whole difference between Bouldering and Route Climbing....

Peter Croft free soloed The Rostrum in Yosemite without a rope too. Does that make it a boulder problem? I guess by your definition it does.

In reply to:
And besides that this has been an open Project for many many years, and now that it has been climbed it must now take on a different rating system, get real and think about it...... A v14.... is somthing that most climber will never achieve, and only in the past 10 years has this grade even been solidified into the community. A v14 is so f---ing hard, the holds are so non existent that it defies logic! And the V scale will only continue to grow.... what did we all think it was gonna stop at v14, v15, V?...

Nobody thought the "V" scale would end any particular place, but most of us think it should be applied to actual boulder problems. (i.e. things with a few or more powerful moves) and not be applied to long endurance based routes.

In reply to:
NO as more and more mutants spawn into our world, the grades will only continue to grow, Kids will be warming up on Dreamtime, so they can go tackle their Projects!!!! I mean get real progression is all a part of the game and Dai has now opened a new door into the limits off people... CONgrats Dai... climb a couple more V16's and then a V17 jus to piss off the elderly peeps of rc.com!

Why don't you just blow him?

Curt

wyattearp

Jun 16, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #119 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im suprised this thread keeps flaming

peace

curt

Jun 16, 2004, 2:31 AM
Post #120 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Im suprised this thread keeps flaming

peace

OK, ignore the "blow him" part and refute my first two points....

1) The use of a rope (or not) is NOT what defines bouldering, as per my Croft example above.

2) Bouldering is NOT endurance based in nature and has its own rating systems precisely for that reason. Therefore a 60 move boulder problem is absurd.

Curt

wyattearp

Jun 16, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #121 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know I consider it a boulder problem because he is only 10 feet off the ground not a 100+ as Croft is when he is Soloing routes.... I KInow that in europe there are similar problems/routes of this nature, yet they are either Traverses or upward overhangs where the ground rises withe the rock.... Yet they were graded as routes and Boulder ratings, 5.14c and V13+ respectfully.... So shall Dai rate it Font style, to avoid the Sherman scale? It still all translates, and ultimatly is up to the climber....

alpnclmbr1

Jun 16, 2004, 3:50 AM
Post #122 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

V-grades according to sherman in his hueco tanks guide.
In reply to:
...the technicality of the moves combined with the demands on ones power and endurance.

Sherman applied the v-grade to lots of endurance problems at hueco.

By your logic, gunsmoke is not a boulder problem?

curt

Jun 16, 2004, 3:59 AM
Post #123 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
V-grades according to sherman in his hueco tanks guide.
In reply to:
...the technicality of the moves combined with the demands on ones power and endurance.

Sherman applied the v-grade to lots of endurance problems at hueco.

By your logic, gunsmoke is not a boulder problem?

Actually, Gunsmoke is more often referred to as 5.11 than some "V" grade problem--as far as I know. Also, Sherman himself said he made a mistake by applying the "V" bouldering scale to long problems like "Burn Baby, Burn" at Hueco, a 135 foot long traverse. If you don't believe me, please feel free to ask John about this yourself.

Curt

alpnclmbr1

Jun 16, 2004, 5:19 AM
Post #124 of 157 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, Gunsmoke is more often referred to as 5.11 than some "V" grade problem--as far as I know. Also, Sherman himself said he made a mistake by applying the "V" bouldering scale to long problems like "Burn Baby, Burn" at Hueco, a 135 foot long traverse. If you don't believe me, please feel free to ask John about this yourself.

Curt

The 5.11- grade for gunsmoke predated the V system.

At least a quarter(half?) of the boulder problems at hueco are more route like than boulder like. The long dong, 4 star roof, the morgue, havelina, bucket roof, nuclear arms, etc.

Sherman wanting to change it doesn't change the fact that the V system as it is being used today is basically the same as Sherman used when he first created it.

Bouldering tends to emphasize power, that is a fact. But you cannot conveniently eliminate endurance from the equation. Endurance matters on most boulder problems, and the grades reflect that.

My favorite types of boulder problems tend to be endurance oriented. Mushroom roof for a short example. The well traverse for a long one.

The defining difference between routes and boulder problems is the use of a rope.

As far as I am concerned free soloing is bouldering as well. Say you start climbing a large rock that nobody has touched before. You start bouldering up it. At what point does it stop being bouldering and change into free soloing? There is no defining change. Bouldering doesn't have a preset height limit.
You wouldn't claim that you couldn’t die on a boulder problem, right?

curt

Jun 16, 2004, 5:26 AM
Post #125 of 157 (12605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

The 5.11- grade for gunsmoke predated the V system.

At least a quarter(half?) of the boulder problems at hueco are more route like than boulder like. The long dong, 4 star roof, the morgue, havelina, bucket roof, nuclear arms, etc.

Sherman wanting to change it doesn't change the fact that the V system as it is being used today is basically the same as Sherman used when he first created it.

Bouldering tends to emphasize power, that is a fact. But you cannot conveniently eliminate endurance from the equation. Endurance matters on most boulder problems, and the grades reflect that.

My favorite types of boulder problems tend to be endurance oriented. Mushroom roof for a short example. The well traverse for a long one.

The defining difference between routes and boulder problems is the use of a rope.

As far as I am concerned free soloing is bouldering as well. Say you start climbing a large rock that nobody has touched before. You start bouldering up it. At what point does it stop being bouldering and change into free soloing? There is no defining change. Bouldering doesn't have a preset height limit.
You wouldn't claim that you couldn’t die on a boulder problem, right?

So then, you think the Rostrum is properly classified as a boulder problem. OK, you are certainly entitled to that opinion, but I think most people will disagree with you.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook