RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

lazyboy

Apr 27, 2002, 8:19 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking of grabbing some Boreal Zens. Its either that or the pyros, I"m wondering what other people have to say about em before i get em.
the shoeless climber

miagi

Apr 28, 2002, 2:06 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought the zens from http://www.sportextreme.com for 70$!!!!! Definitly buy from there if your considering buying shoes. That is almost half off the retail price. Anyways, I found my zens to be very promising. Smearing is somewhat decent, and it edges very well. The fusion 4 rubber is pretty sticky, and lets you pull off some tough problems. I got a size and half down, and it was really uncomfortable. After awhile though, it turned out that 1.5 size down was the best bet since my shoes stretched out. The thing I liked best was its ability on roofs/overhangs. The toe hooks really well. The only thing that I wished was better was the sole stiffness. Ive tried to edge on some dime size edges, but the sole bends and I slip. Whether you get the pyros or zens, you will be happy. From the Climbing Gear Guide, the specs on both shoes are basically the same. The pyros are a 2002 model and that is about the only difference.

climbingaddict

Apr 28, 2002, 2:57 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey,
I've heard that Zen are awesome, and so is Pyro, but since I'm a 510 kinda guy, so, i can't help you on that...

crackaddict

Apr 28, 2002, 3:03 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 2 pair now. I was able to get my 2nd pair for $56 at sports extreme but I think that was the last time they are going to have them that cheap.
They are a great shoe!
I love them for hard edging. I used to only use them on sport but they work well on cracks too.
I am not sure if I would wear them on all day routes though.

Rockitup!

psalmadventurer

Apr 29, 2002, 4:26 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey i have pyros and i like them. I had to order 2 pairs to get the right fit, they are unlined so I can only imagine that they will stretch quite a bit. The heel is really big so if you have a narrow heel than make sure you try them on, that is why I had to order 2 pairs. They are pretty easy to get on. Much better for edging than my last pair of Boreals...Maybe this will help. Jennifer

sonofspork

Apr 29, 2002, 4:37 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at a gym called Rockreation in costa mesa, CA and there are a few sponsored climbers that climb or work there. Two or three of them are sponsored by Boreal and they say that they really like the pyros. I forget exactly what they said, but i think it was something to the effect of "the heel's are better on the pyros". Personally, the only pair of Boreal shoes that I own are the Aces.

Hope I could help.

-sONofSpORk

psalmadventurer

Apr 29, 2002, 5:01 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the heels are good as long as you have got the right fit. :-D

jt512

Apr 29, 2002, 6:06 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get 'em resoled with 5.10 C4 rubber.

-Jay

cosmo

May 1, 2002, 5:28 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Boreal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a pair of the Zens. I've had them for almost 4 months now. I'm very happy with them. The only complaint I have about them is there's a lot of dead space in the heel area, at least on my feet. That's not a problem unless you're doing a serious heel hook, in which case, I've had the shoe almost come off.

They're really great for edging and smearing. They're not as comfortable as the Mythos but they're tolerable.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook