RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

manboy

Aug 14, 2001, 4:10 AM
Post #1 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

age and rating
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

who told you that people in their 30's are more likely to climb? Climbing is the one sport that people of all ages do, and are good at.

i'm 20, been climbing since i was 15.

manboy

Aug 14, 2001, 5:29 AM
Post #2 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

age and rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, here are some examples:

in Vegas i climbed with a kid named Eathan Pringle, he was 14 and climbed Hell Comes to Frogtown 5.13d, he almost did it on his 2nd try. it took him 5 tries to do.

In Rifle Last year i climbed with Herman the German and Lee. Herman is 58 years old and can do laps on any 5.13 in Rifle. Lee is 55 and just sent his first 5.13d (Bride of Frankenstien), and was working on Zulu 5.14a/b with me last year (he gave me awsome foot beta for the redpoint crux). Also, Herman was working on 7pm Show, a HARD 5.14a.

Chris Sharma did 5.14 when he was 14, and my friend Bob did his first 13d when he was 37.

like i said before, climbing is for all ages, and i'll be crankin' untill i'm dead (probably only in my 30's, ha ha).

[ This Message was edited by: manboy on 2001-08-13 22:30 ]

skully

Aug 14, 2001, 3:24 PM
Post #3 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hay; don't associate the word “old” with people in there 30's, that sucks. I am 30 years old and I’m not old. I meet people of all ages when rock climbing. I think there would be more young people climbing if they had a way to get to the gym or rock. Younger climbers 14 & 15 have the advantage of that incredible muscle to body weight ratio. My muscle to body ratio went to hell when I discovered beer. I’m trying to get it back but at 30 it’s tough.

Stay away from beer kid! Oh and drugs too!

30 years old (I've been climbing for 2years)5.9 lead / 5.10 follow / 5.13 when I lie

[ This Message was edited by: skully on 2001-08-14 08:29 ]

coach

Aug 14, 2001, 5:00 PM
Post #4 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are only as "old" as you allow yourself to be. I have been around for 52 years but mywife keeps wondering when I will grow up. I once had a commanding officer that had a sign in his office that read "Age is only a number". I climb as hard as I can and then fall off, that's enough for me.

Climb On

fiend

Aug 14, 2001, 5:53 PM
Post #5 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the intention of the post was that rockclimber101 thought that it was expected that older people climb. I'm sure if he tells people (non-climbers) that he climbs, they immediately think of cliffhanger/vertical limit and reply with the good ol' 'but you're so young'. Even at most gyms, any younger kids hanging out are usually there for a birthday party or something.
Although we hear a lot about the wunderkinds climbing 5.sickasshard they are not the norm and most climbers in most gyms or at crags are between the ages of 25 and 35.

And don't forget, when you're 15, 30 seems really really old

compclimber

Aug 14, 2001, 6:28 PM
Post #6 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 16 and its a rare occasion that I run into some one my own age at the crags but I never seem to have a problem finding people at the gym.

broganadams
Deleted

Aug 14, 2001, 7:04 PM
Post #7 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 24 and I will try harder than the person I am with and I hope they do the same that is the secret don't tell anybody
Brogan

Partner pianomahnn

Aug 14, 2001, 9:05 PM
Post #8 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah, it's that whole age and "what's your rating" crap. What's your rating? My rating? Will knowing my age and rating make YOU climb better? Will it make you safer? Will it make your skills more precise? Will your footwork improve from knowing how hard I climb? Will knowing I'm of a certain age enable you to climb a roof you never thought possible? Will knowing that maybe I can only climb 5.10 at age 46 make you climb a 5.13 at 23? How much difference will knowing anyone's age and "rating" on your own climbing ability? NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL!! And besides, I've seen these threads around here before. All the information this person needs had already been posted here. Those two questions are worthless questions when it comes down to it, wouldn't you agree?

How about a question like I'm so and so years old, and would like to climb more advanced routes. What things might I try to improve my performace on the rock?

See, something like that would improve one's own climbing ability.

Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age (20).

gunkjunkie

Aug 14, 2001, 10:40 PM
Post #9 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I guess that I should get my walker and shuffle off to the nursing home and spend the rest of my life eating prunes and playing shuffleboard. I didn't think I'd be a geezer at 26. )) Not only did I get a late start (23) I'm also only leading 5.7 trad. Oh for my misspent youth. )

manboy

Aug 15, 2001, 12:13 AM
Post #10 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in response to Pianomahnn's comments:

"Will knowing my age and rating make YOU climb better? How much difference will knowing anyone's age and "rating" make on your own climbing ability? NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL!! Those two questions are worthless questions when it comes down to it, wouldn't you agree?"

no, i would not agree. comparing ability with others who are stronger than yourself will allow you to see what is possible. Not only that, but it can be inspiring and help to motivated you to improve. Climbing with people like my friend Sonnie, who is much stronger than myself, is so inspiring for me, and he pushes me to improve. In the same way, i hope that i can inspire other people when they see what i've accomplished in the sport.

Here's an example: if you took two people with equal potential, and put them into two seperate socail groups (say they are identical twins both with the same motivation to improve). you put one Twin with Chris Sharma and Dave Graham, Luke Parady and Tommy Caldwell. the Second twin gets put into a group of climbers in Kansas, the best person in this group can climb 5.11a, and none of them have ever seen anybody climb a 5.13. Now you leave them in these groups for 3 years, each twin hangs out and socializes with his assigned group, as well as climbs and trains with them every day for the three years.

when the three years is over, the twins get's back together. which one do you think will be climbing better? This experiment is true of all aspects of life, not just climbing. you raise yourself to the level of your peers. By knowing what is possible it allows you to aspire to that level. Often times when you're having a bouldering session with a bunch of people in the gym, and all working one problem and everybody is falling again and again, as soon as one person sends it, everybody else will send on their next try. when one person ran the 4 min mile, then like 10 other people did too the next month! when the first 5.14 was on-sighted, several more were onsighted in the next year.

it's a fact, knowledge will improve motivation, and thus performance. do you think it is coincidence that two of the best climbers in US Histroy (and in the World) both happen to live in the same neighborhood and be best friends (Dave Graham and Luke Parady)?? no it's not coincidence, it's because they motivated eachother and pushed eachother, if you had happened to live there instead of Luke, and had spent your youth training and with Dave Graham, you would probably be climbing 5.14's too.

Partner pianomahnn

Aug 15, 2001, 5:27 AM
Post #11 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have TOTALLY missed my point. Never once did I say anything about climbing with people better than you. Never once did I say climbing with people at the same level will not increase your skills as much as if climbing with someone better.

What I said was; will knowing someone's "rating" improve your skills? And the answer is a difinitive, NO. It's the same thing as asking for someone's name. Will knowing their name help you climb better? No. Why? Because it's an inanimate thing that has no baring on one's ability to get better.

This is the freaking internet, and my knowing that someone can climb a 5.13d or a 5.8 will not help me improve. What will help me improve is attaining VALUABLE information from those people.

I truly hope you grasp the simple concept I'm laying down here. Simply put, knowing someone's age and "rating" will not help you climb better.

climber1

Aug 15, 2001, 6:19 AM
Post #12 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey there. I am 47 and only climb 5.10c/d

[ This Message was edited by: climber1 on 2001-08-14 23:20 ]

Partner pianomahnn

Aug 15, 2001, 6:29 AM
Post #13 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't use the word "only" dood. You climb harder than 99.9% of the people in the world. You know?

fiend

Aug 16, 2001, 9:34 PM
Post #14 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally get inspired by hearing about how hard other people climb, but I do agree that this has been a little over posted lately. I think that people need to read through the existing posts before adding something similar.

krillen

Aug 16, 2001, 10:47 PM
Post #15 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Trad group has got the gammot on ages!

We range from 49 (50 this year), 38, 34, 32, 32, 29, 25, 24, 24.

I could tell you their ratings, but it ain't my place. all I have to say is there is something to what Manboy said. these gusy like the level they climb at, why push harder? Of course I do, so it's becomer my role in the group. Motivator.

manboy

Aug 16, 2001, 10:53 PM
Post #16 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my point was that climbing with people better than you will make you better, why? because you see what is possible. the same can be true (seeing what is possible) on the internet by reading about others. if you read that some 15 year old climbed his first 5.12, you are correct, that probably won't help you improve. but if you read that after only one year of climbing somebody climbed their first 5.14b, and that person is only 12 years old (or 60 years old), well that can be INSPIRING, and can Motivate people who read about it (ie, the users of this web site) to train harder and get stronger.

simply put:
Knowledge = Inspiration = Motivation = Improved Ability.

[ This Message was edited by: manboy on 2001-08-16 15:56 ]

climberchk

Aug 22, 2001, 8:06 AM
Post #17 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a girl, I'm 15, and have climbed 5.12a/b and some other stuff. I am also encouraged by hearing how much harder other younger and older climbers climb.

marcsv

Aug 22, 2001, 10:07 AM
Post #18 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

24 while on the rock . . .40 after i i fall on the crash pad

i don't really rtake time to rate myself

kahuna3602

Aug 23, 2001, 5:45 AM
Post #19 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 46, been climbing seriously since Jan this year. Went from 5.6 up to 5.11 in the gym, could only manage a 5.9 outside but that was my first time outdoors and it was kind of a shock to climb real rock with real exposure. I liked it!

patman

Aug 24, 2001, 3:25 AM
Post #20 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

13 i can do 5.9 or 5.10a

V8 bouldring it was a complete cave all the way over!!

Partner pianomahnn

Aug 24, 2001, 3:39 AM
Post #21 of 21 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to play the game just for the hell of it.

I've been climbing for 5 months now. Went to Wild Iowa this past week and flashed Soul Ignition (5.12a). That was also after flashing some 5.11s and whatnot.

What else would you like to know? How about my fingers are smaller than almost every person on the planet...my woman's are bigger and longer than mine. How about I'm 5'9" on a GOOD day? Height doesn't matter.

Hmmmm....what else can I write about that will inspire other people to get better?? Yeah...so along with my 5 months of climbing experiance, I set the hardest routes in my local gym. A few solid 5.11s, a nice 5.12 here and there. I'm working on a solid sport traverse right now that incorporates some great roof along with slab and a nice bouldering start.

Some things are just natural. I haven't had to work hard to get to the level I'm at. I'm sure hitting the 5.13 level will take some practice...but who knows? Maybe I'm just good. Which leads me to another point...

Some people have natural ability. I know it's not natural for someone to climb for 5 months then flash his FIRST outdoor 5.12. Reading stuff like this can build up a person, then crash them to the ground when they can't accomplish it. Which brings me to the point that one should climb against their own person...instead of others.

But who cares? As long as I'm still pulling down hard?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook