Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Avalanche Peak - the hidden majestic
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

koecher

Jun 22, 2004, 6:45 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Avalanche Peak - the hidden majestic  (North_America: United_States: Alaska: Anchorage_Area_Rock___Ice: Avalanche_Peak)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend of mine (Joe Rozak) and I hiked up Avalanche Peak on June 18th, 2004. This peak offered my favorite view out of all the Chugach climbs I've completed so far. (About 15 peaks) This mountain seems to be skipped by most of the Anchorage population since it's nestled 6-7 miles back on powerline pass, so you can find some tranquility at the top. I HIGHLY recommend this trip :!: We mountain biked to the base of the pass and made the rest of the ascent on foot. Joe took an amazing panoramic shot at the summit...hopefully he'll get it posted here. It's fairly large in size. :cry:

The Summit Register said the peak was "Powerline Pass Peak"; does anyone know how long ago it was renamed? The register had signatures dating back to at least 1971.

Best of luck to all adventurers :!:

Paul I. Koecher
Born: 04/21/80
Hometown: Eagan, MN
Current Residence: Anchorage, AK

micahmcguire

Jun 22, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Re: Avalanche Peak - the hidden majestic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

not sure about when then name changed. I've never heard it reffered to as anything but "Avalanche." Peach of a peak though, quite nice.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook