Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gogo

Jun 4, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #1 of 34 (4062 views)
Shortcut

Cardio to complement climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any good exercises that are cardiovascular and complement climbing well?

Lately I've been running, but honestly running doesn't entertain me very much.

I used to do Muay Thai, but between climbing, work, and a social life there isn't time to fight and climb.

Thanks,
Mike

Partner tyify

Jun 4, 2004, 7:52 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cardio to complement climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stairstepper...Works those legs like no other and keeps cardio in supremely good shape if done well. The one at my gym is right across from the overhang wall so I can watch people climb while I do my exercise. The other option is a ergometer but it is advisable to know how to row before you get on one of these. Do something that works your legs out hard.

clymberboy

Jun 4, 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #3 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i second ther ergometer. my climbing is noticeably better when i keep up with my erg workouts. just remember proper rowing technique. you can easily strain your back if you get lazy. although an excellent total body workout, sitting on a rowing machine can get boring. the only saving grace is that you have the display right in front of your face showing you your workout info, causing you to fight & pull harder.

cg

Jun 4, 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #4 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about swimming? I used to run, but I had to stop because it was stuffing up my knees. Or biking...? Quite a number of climbers I know also ride.

muncher

Jun 4, 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #5 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have to agree with cg, swimming is great, low impact on the joints etc but a great cardio work out. Maybe not quite what you are looking for though as swimming is one of the most mind numbingly boring workouts around, just the same black line up and down on and on....

If you are lucky enough to live by the ocean, try surfing, once you get into it though, it may take over your life he same if not more than climbing. It is however one of the hardest things to learn, thankfully, like climbing you can suck at it and still have a great time.

rocksolid

Jun 4, 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #6 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually use an elliptical trainer or run. Swimming is great - possibly the best, since it doesn't stress your joints like other types of cardio - but incredibly boring (in my opinion). Then again, cardio in general can be pretty boring... The reason that I prefer the elliptical trainer is that I can read while I workout - which makes the time go by a lot faster.

gat

Jun 4, 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lately I've been running, but honestly running doesn't entertain me very much.

Have you tried trail running? It's much easier on the body and far more entertaining than pounding pavement. Plus, walking up all the steeper sections in the mountains prepares you for longer approaches.

lostcause

Jun 4, 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #8 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A gym I used to belong to had one of those versa-climbers. That gave an awesome cardio workout and worked the legs and arms. Most gyms don't have those though.

I personally prefer bicycling outdoors. It's a good leg workout and I have bum knees.

Partner cliffhanger9

Jun 4, 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #9 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto on the swimming - total body workout and requires no gear at all!!

plus its nice in the summer

:)

Partner jammer

Jun 4, 2004, 1:37 PM
Post #10 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SEX ... get's your heart pumping! Can be enjoyed year round and any time of the day :wink: but you'll need a partner ...

Partner angry

Jun 25, 2004, 8:12 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ride a bike. I also run.

I have heard lots of bad stories about stair climbers and knee damage. No research, just lots of bad first hand stories. Mostly people who have wrecked their knees, and it never hurt so they kept it up until it was too late.

gds

Jun 25, 2004, 8:19 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cardio is cardio so just do what you enjoy most. I prefer hiking and cycling but I think what you most enjoy will work best-that way you'll keep doing it.

flipnfall

Jun 25, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
SEX ... get's your heart pumping! Can be enjoyed year round and any time of the day :wink: but you'll need a partner ...

I have to convince my wife that this is an essential part of my training. :wink: In a "very real sense" I could attribute my climbing stamina to her.

GT

nirvana

Jun 25, 2004, 9:22 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How important do people think cardio training is for climbing? I can see its importance for approaches, but how about for climbing itself?

And while we're at it--how important is general strength training (say, a full body resistance training program)? And how about a flexibility program (e.g., yoga)?

I keep trying to balance weights, cardio, yoga--and still have plenty of time to climb. I wonder if there is anywhere I can cut some corners--because obviously climbing is the best training for climbing, so how important is all the other training?

gds

Jun 25, 2004, 9:29 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How important do people think cardio training is for...

But it is incredibly important for life in general.

abalch

Jun 25, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used bicycling for awhile now, until this week when a car (missed their plates), decided to come up behind me in the bike lane, and lay on there horn. Trying to get out of the maniacs way, I wreck my bike, and jammrd both wrists, and received a corner compression fracture on my right arm a half inch up from the inside of the bend of the elbow. Now i can't even climb for at least a couple months, because I am in a cast on my right, and and brace on the left.

All of this in Portland, OR--recently ranked in the top ten for most "cyclist friendly" place to live.

gds

Jun 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have used bicycling for awhile now, until this week when a car (missed their plates), decided to come up behind me in the bike lane, and lay on there horn. Trying to get out of the maniacs way, I wreck my bike, and jammrd both wrists, and received a corner compression fracture on my right arm a half inch up from the inside of the bend of the elbow. Now i can't even climb for at least a couple months, because I am in a cast on my right, and and brace on the left.

All of this in Portland, OR--recently ranked in the top ten for most "cyclist friendly" place to live.

I keep telling my wife that my climbing is way safer than my cycling. I know of no climber ever struck by a car while climbing. :wink:

flipnfall

Jun 25, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How important do people think cardio training is for climbing? I can see its importance for approaches, but how about for climbing itself?

It really helps with endurance especially when you have to hike long distances to your climb like you do around areas like Boulder, CO. But even at the gym I found myself doing better throughout the day when I was more cardio-fit.

GT

nirvana

Jun 25, 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, cardio fitness is good in general. But how cardio fit? Do you spend 20 minutes 3 times a week (the "recommended" amount of cardio)? Or an hour a day? Or somewhere in the middle?

And weights? Does anyone lift?

abalch

Jun 25, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gds

Jun 25, 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, cardio fitness is good in general. But how cardio fit? Do you spend 20 minutes 3 times a week (the "recommended" amount of cardio)? Or an hour a day? Or somewhere in the middle?

I think that 20 min x 3 days is a minimal amount that is for achieving some sort of non sedentary health. From an athletic fitness point of view I think that a minimum amount of cardio would be more like 5 hours per week.

Weight training is also good but there are lots of other excersizes that build strength as well

mandrake

Jun 25, 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Actually I think CDC has upped the "moderate cardio" recs to an hour a day, five days a week. As if! Usually, I find that 30-45 minutes of whatever cardio my current injury status will permit three or four days a week at a moderate-ish pace (around 70% max heart rate, some good info on runnersworld.com) keeps me fit and keeps the weight off.

It's actually kind of funny, because my whole weight routine is designed around injury prevention! Couple times a week, two to three sets of 15-20 reps: four types of shoulder exercises for shoulder tendonitis prevention, fore and aft wrist curls for elbow tendonitis, and leg presses to protect the knees! What..a..drag it is, getting old. Mother's little helper is condritin/glucosamine (and a thorough round of stretching after running).

Experiment to find your own package of cardio/stretching/weights. I find that if I do too much lifting, I bulk up more than I want. Some weights are important to strengthen tendons and balance out climbing muscles. Plus, change it up every few months so your body doesn't accomodate.

Aside from preventing injuries, I really do feel better with cardio and light weights, too. Bret

overlord

Jun 26, 2004, 9:36 AM
Post #23 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would reccomend swimming.

and why not keep up with muaythai, just not as frequuent as before.

gottarock

Jun 26, 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #24 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey Mike,
you live in GJ. .... get a bike. ... ride thru Uniweep, up the loop @ Colo. Nat. Monument , take a spin down to Montrose or Ridgeway (and back). you've got awesome road riding in your hood.
start w/ short rides... extend the rides as your fitness builds up. try to ride 3x/wk. ride easy, ride hard. its all good. its all fun.

too_far_gone

Jun 26, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a big fan of the rowing machine.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook