RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

myjeepisdirty

Aug 3, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Which crampons for Scarpa Invernos?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A question for Scarpa Inverno owners: What crampons do use? It looks like it would take most, but I'd just like to know what you hve and how they work with these boots. I haven't the boots yet, but I'd like to order the crampons at the same time.

brianc

Aug 3, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Re: Which crampons for Scarpa Invernos? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Love my BD Sabretooths (or is it Sabreteeth?).

mbg

Aug 3, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on what you'll be doing with them. Glacier travel, steep ice, both? The Sabertooth is a good all-arounder.

sarcat

Aug 3, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I 3rd the Sabertooth.

myjeepisdirty

Aug 3, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My bad: I only climb vertical ice. Sabertooth still apply? Any others?

brianc

Aug 3, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My bad: I only climb vertical ice. Sabertooth still apply? Any others?
I use the Sabretooth for everything - and while my opinion may or may not carry any weight - there are far more talented folks that are also Sabretooth devotees - Steve House come to mind.

sarcat

Aug 3, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have a pair but they say the BD Bionic is for purely vertical. Makes sense with the big @ss front spikes they have they'd be more sturdy. I do just about everything so the all-around of the Sabertooth was more appealing.

soccer_fan

Aug 3, 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used the sabers w/ the invernos this summer on two alpine snow/ice climbs, and they were great. I wasn't particularly keen on how the invernos fit me, but they stayed on nice and snug for both climbs. I'd recommend the system.

lambone

Aug 5, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, don't buy Invernos. Ice climbing in plastic boots sucks...but that is just one mans opinion.

Second, Sabertooths are good and versitile, I like climbing water ice in them. But I also like mono-points sometimes, can't do that with Sabertooths.

The Bionic's are good, basicaly a Sabertooth with verical front points that can be made into monos.

Charlet and Grivel make good poons too.

Just don't get Invernos, trust me.

mountainmadness

Aug 18, 2004, 6:34 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stick with your Scarps Invernos>They are very bombproof. Let that guy who just recently posted stick with leather and get frost bite while he is at it.

The Grivel G-14 New-Matics are what you need..Best ALL Around from glacier to vertical. The new Matic bindings are awesome. Even if you are in the situation of having to wear over-boots they will hold awesomely.

jumar

Aug 19, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used Invernos for years with many different crampons (before I converted to leathers). I've mostly used BD Crampons. I second what everyone said about the Sabretooths. I have a pair of Bionics, but my understanding is they are best on mixed routes, partly because the secondary points are so short. I've noticed some calf strain as a result, when doing pure ice. Rumor has it the newer models of Bionics the secondary points are longer? Can anyone confirm?
I've ultimately decided on the G14's. They seem to have the advantages of all the crampons I've used before. They won't ball up with snow as much, because they're semi rigid. They can convert to Mono, and have agressive secondary points (good for pure ice).
So I'll probably use my bionics when doing mixed routes, but use the G14 on pure ice.

tradklime

Aug 19, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The G-14s are great! They are so light and climb vertical ice and mixed fabulously (esentially the same front points as the rambos). Now for the real funky mixed masters, you may want some radical secondary/ tertiary points, but I haven't felt limited, yet.

As far as plastic vs. leather... if you are primarily interested in ice and less so in mountaineering, leather is the only way to go. You loose too much sensativity with plastics, and they have to fit just perfectly to avoid heel lift. They make leather boots plenty warm these days.

namascar

Aug 19, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Grivel G-12 work just fine and are versatile. Look front spikes for vertical ice.
However, get the semi-automatic (back part is step in, front part is that yellow plastic strap), since the fully automatic ones (front part is a thick metal wire) don't adjust well to the Invernos. The front teeth of the fully automatic G12 will come out from way under the boots, and they will be effectively shorter.

I have a pair of Charlet Moser strap on and they also work fine. I prefer the long front spikes in the G12, thou.

kachoong

Aug 19, 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...anyone mentioned the Sabretooths? :P ...... I've always used them on my Invernos...... bomber..... versatile.... no fidling around.....

slobmonster

Aug 21, 2004, 4:45 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Log another vote for BD Sabretooths. I, like you, climb primarily steep water ice. I've had all manner of 'technical' crampons, and on a lark tried out the Sabretooths several winters past. They were cheap, even moreso now when compared to the *absurdly* overpriced tech crampons on the market. They fit my boots well. They're simple and sturdy. And most of all, they climb well. Many folks will tell you that you 'need' vertical front points; maybe they do, but you do not. The horizontal points on the Sabretooths are well designed, forged from high quality CM-steel, and you can keep them sharp with minimal effort.

Cheers.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook