RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ropegirl

May 13, 2002, 11:44 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Climbing outdoors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you've never done any climbing outside, I'd recommend starting by doing some top-roping first. You'll need to find yourself a partner. Someone from your gym, who has done it before is the best candidate ('cause they'll have gear you can use and can show you the ropes -- pun intended). See if you can buddy up with someone and talk them into letting you tag along with them on an outdoor trip. Or, just show up at your local cragg and ask one or two of the friendlier climbers there if you can join them. (Bringing beer doesn't hurt.)

As far as getting your own gear, for top-roping you'll need:

1) A dynamic rope ($100 - $200). A 60-meter, 10.5mm rope is a good all-round type. For now, don't worry about spending extra money on a bi-color rope and, unless you'll be climbing where it's damp or really dirty, a non-dry rope should do you fine.

2) Slings in various lengths and/or a static rope to set up your top rope anchors. You can save money by making your own slings. They're heavier and bulkier than sewn slings/runners, but for TR-ing they do just fine. Buy some 1" tubular webbing at your local climbing store ($0.30-$0.40 per foot) and tie the ends together using a tape knot, leaving 3-inch tails on the knot ends (see http://www.climbing.ie/knots.html). I made myself 4 each of 3', 6', 12' and 15' slings, but you can make them whatever length suits your needs. If you choose to buy sewn runners/slings, the cost will be about $5 - $10 each, depending on length. A static rope is another good and cheap alternative for setting up top-rope anchors. A 60' static rope serves most of my TR anchor needs. You can buy it by the foot at most climbing stores for about $0.60 - $0.70 per foot. Check out TradGirl's page on setting up top-rope anchors. http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/toproping.htm

3) Some screw-gate (locking) carabiners. You'll need about 6 or 7 (cost about $6 - $7 each): 2 for your dynamic rope to run through, 2-3 for securing your anchors and 1-2 to use to anchor yourself while setting up your TR anchors.

4) A helmet is also a good idea. They can be costly ($50 - $100) but think of all that time and money you invested in your education. Wouldn't you hate to loose those brain cells?

5) I'd also recommend investing in a basic, outdoor climbing "how to" book, to learn the basics, how to set up anchors, cragg etiquette and how to climb safely outdoors.

6) If you'll be belaying off a dirt surface, bring a tarp to put your rope on and keep it clean.

Other than that, you'll only need your harness, shoes, chalk bag, and a little sunscreen. Have fun!

FYI: Later on, when you start leading, is when things get REALLY expensive. (Never underestimate the money-suckage properties of climbing gear.)

stevematthys

May 14, 2002, 12:21 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Climbing outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

took the words right out of my mouth

needtolearnhowtoclimb

May 14, 2002, 1:41 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get a B.D. momentum harness deal. It is the black diamond momentum harness, A.T.C belay device, and chalk bag. All of it for 89 dollars. It is a really sweet deal and a great all around harness.
J

k2exp2010

May 14, 2002, 1:57 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Concentrate on top-rope and practice your anchors. You won't get much of a chance to learn how to climb if your anchors are not good and you fall and crack some bones on rock. Outdoor climbing can hurt.

Find out what a Figure-8 is.

Learning to climbing is more than just being able to scale high-rated faces. It's important to know how to safely tie your line so that you can have fun practicing.

Tie your anchor. Undo it and tie it in stronger. Once you're done with that, undo it again and tie it back stronger than that.
When you're comfortable with that, study the face of a rock for a bit. Boulder around but not too high. Get a feeling of what real rock feels like versus synthetic dry-wall with artificial holds. Know that there is weather involved. A little but of persperation on your hands sticking to the rock will make that smear impossible. All of that you will learn in time by doing it. Just pay attention to what you're doing.

Partner calamity_chk

May 14, 2002, 2:05 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pakpak,

My first time outdoors, I just hired a guide. It seemed a little expensive at first, but it included all of the requisite gear, instruction (so that I could actually feel successful, a camp site, and any additional camping gear that we needed.

The quality instruction and safety is what I liked most about the class .. the guide in my class with the least amount of experience had been climbing for almost 17 years, and they are all well-known for being very safe climbers. So, I basically paid them for their time, and let them do all of the work .. I didnt even have to hike in any gear. (yay me!)

As I became increasingly obsessed, I started buying books and figuring out which little trinkets I wanted to buy for myself and in what order I would get them.

Anyways, hope that helps .. and hope you get outside (safely) soon...

amber

ropegirl

May 14, 2002, 10:01 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oops! I forgot to mention that you will need a belay device. But it sounds like you've been climbing in the gym, so you may already have one.

An ATC (tubular) belay device will run you about $15. Figure-8 belay devices run anywhere from $15 - $50 depending on the style.

Petzl's GriGri belay device is pricey ($80) but it has a locking device on it that will help you catch a fall with less strain on your brake hand. (That doesn't mean you can be less vigilant about keeping your brake hand on the rope however.)

One more thing to keep in mind... when you are belaying a climber outside, there will be MUCH less friction on the rope than you're used to in the gym. If your climber falls or when you let him/her down from the top of the climb, you'll need to use more strength in your brake hand/arm to keep the climber from zipping down too fast.

If your climber is much heavier than you, consider anchoring yourself to something solid at your belay station. To do this, attach a sling to something solid (like a tree) and clip the other end of the sling to your harness's belay loop, using a locking 'biner. Make sure there's not too much slack in the sling running between you and the solid object. If your climber falls, the force of the fall will be transfered from your harness to the solid object, via the sling, and it will prevent you from getting jerked up into the air or flung against the rock.

[ This Message was edited by: ropegirl on 2002-05-14 15:03 ]

mikedano

May 14, 2002, 10:23 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This site has a wealth of information if you look for it. I would suggest clicking on the "Articles" button at the top of the page, the one on the same line as "forums."
There are several posts that should answer your questions, ones put together by the knowledgable people on this site.
Be careful and have fun!

cragman

May 20, 2002, 4:37 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll go with clymbr_chk, I got a guided tour my first time around($35 for a full day, group of six) and it payed off, I just felt confident in having someone who knew what they were doing there, again that's just my opinion, I'm a safety freak

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook