Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bubba

Aug 24, 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #1 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

ID-ing your gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok fellow gear heads...Enlighten me.

Recently it has dawned on me that I have an a$$-load of gear, but none of it is marked so I can ID it out of a pile.
I've seen a number of products that are designed for this purpose, but the one I like is a coloured tape. I think its made by a co. called Troll.
Is this tape in some way special? Is the adhesive gear sensitive? Can I use normal coloured electrical tape instead?
What do you use?
Thanks.

benpullin

Aug 24, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #2 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Re: ID-ing your gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use normal colored electrical tape that you buy in a hardwear store, but this isn't the best option. First, it's a pain to put on all your gear and inevitably the tape will begin to peel or get partially scraped off, leaving a nice sticky residue on your gear.

I've seen people use nail polish on non-rock-contacting parts of biners, etc. and this seems like a good idea. I don't think that the polish would affect the biners' strength, though I'm no chemist...

schnoz

Aug 25, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #3 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never could colour within the lines, so I opted for gear tape. I've been using the gear tape that Trango makes. It's holding up very well so far.

Partner euroford

Aug 25, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #4 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used to have trango rack tags, which worked okay but i wasn't crazy about the pink. tonighte i plan to finish tapeing all of my gear with red reflective tape that i bought at pepboys. seams very durable and the reflective finish will make finding stuff in the dark easier.

graniteavenger

Aug 25, 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #5 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just use the coloured electrical tape (which I get free from werk..). Granted it doesn't last as long as paint, but seeming as I usually sort out my gear every so often I usually just re tape it when I am checking for any damage or wear on the items. I have found that making a slit in the role of tape so it is about 1/4" wide means that I can sneak it into narrow/protected areas on most items (cams, inbetween the wires on my nuts [not the dangly ones, but rather the ones on my rack], etc).

stompie

Aug 25, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #6 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And rescues! Might try that. Good idea. I use electrical tape now, does not last long. Automotive paint sounds like the best though.

bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info guys.
I guess now my question is, Does the adhesive from regular electrical tape compromise my gear? (Excluding slings, webbing and other cloth-like materials)
Thanks again.
B.

Partner euroford

Aug 26, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #8 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the adhesive from electrical tape has been known to eat through aluminum carabiners and has been the cause of numerous fatal accidents.

well, on second thought, its probobly just fine :)

Partner tyify

Aug 26, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #9 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do a search there is lots of stuff on marking gear.

I use nail polish. Put it on the KN part of the biner right before the ratings. It works really well and doens't seem to come off very easily. I don't know about how it effects the strength but I would think that it would be no-little effect on anodized alminum.

Partner eyecannon

Aug 26, 2004, 9:43 PM
Post #10 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neither nail polish nor paint is going to hurt your gear, as long as you keep it out of moving parts.

highangle

Aug 26, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #11 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine in a medical supply company got me some surgical instrument marking tape. It seems to be a heck of a lot stickier and durable than electrical tape, and is only 1/4 inch wide. It is still on many of my biners from 10+ years ago.

BTW, if anyone knows how to get more of this stuff, let me know! My buddy no longer works there.... :(

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 28, 2004, 6:58 PM
Post #12 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm lazy, so i use black electrical tape (which i take from work, i'm a low-voltage wire tech.)....besides i've never seen anyone use black...

gunked

Aug 30, 2004, 5:01 AM
Post #13 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing pisses me off more than garbage at the crags: remnants of tape included.

Nail polish lasts longer anyway. For biners without wire gates, I put a spot of paint on the little area tha's exposed when you retract the gate being careful not to let it seep in to the moving parts.

For wire gates, I paint the on the sides of the biner where the gate is attached to the biner.

For nuts, I paint the top of the nut after pushing the wire through a bit to expose more of the surface. For soldered micro-wires, I paint the cable where it meets the nut. For HB offsets, I paint the recesses in the nut.

For camalots, I paint the top of the axle-housing (the double ridge thingy on top). For aliens, I paint the solid stem just before it meets the axle. For Metolius', I paint the underside of the individual cams (the flat part, not the sides).

Have yet to figure out a way to mark the runners outside of sharpie marker on the tags.

Hope that helps!
-Jason :D

slobmonster

Aug 30, 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #14 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Dremel tool to lightly engrave my initials on a part of whatever gear is in question that won't recieve significant wear. For example, underneath the lobes of cams. Regular-gate 'biners, somewhere on the gate. Or the spine. A generation ago this was common practice; many folks used a metal-stamping kit.

FYI I'm sure to get flamed for this by someone.

modman

Aug 30, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #15 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tape tape tape

my colors are blue and yellow and all biners open on the blue side

Partner missedyno

Aug 31, 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #16 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tape is good, mine is yellow and red, yellow on top.

then i met others with the same tape color scheme, and now i've added a dab of nail polish to mark my gear as well. same idea as the car touch up paint, but cheaper.

besides, who will dispute that the gear is yours when it matches your toenails...

dutyje

Aug 31, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #17 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use a Dremel tool to lightly engrave my initials on a part of whatever gear is in question that won't recieve significant wear. For example, underneath the lobes of cams. Regular-gate 'biners, somewhere on the gate. Or the spine. A generation ago this was common practice; many folks used a metal-stamping kit.

FYI I'm sure to get flamed for this by someone.

Using a rotary tool to carve your initials is such a pain. I prefer to just use a hacksaw and cut a few notches down to the hollow on the spine. I use 4 notches, because I figure it's gonna be a less common number than 1, 2, or 3. To mark the middle of my rope, I cut the sheath and slid it off half of my rope. Sort of a do-it-yourself bi-pattern. It makes it easy to identify my rope. I made some slings out of duct tape (nolan14 showed me this cool trick) so I can always tell which ones are mine.

The internet is full of good ideas. It's also full of ideas like the ones above. :)

nirvana

Aug 31, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #18 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nail polish. "Garnet" by Estee Lauder. Great on gear and on nails.

whitefingers

Aug 31, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #19 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every week or so I through all my gear in a pile and urinate on it.

climbingnurse

Aug 31, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #20 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A friend of mine in a medical supply company got me some surgical instrument marking tape. It seems to be a heck of a lot stickier and durable than electrical tape, and is only 1/4 inch wide. It is still on many of my biners from 10+ years ago.

BTW, if anyone knows how to get more of this stuff, let me know! My buddy no longer works there.... :(

http://www.finescience.com/fst/LabAcc/29070-01.html

Google is wonderful thing...

njari

Aug 31, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #21 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use fingernail paint to mark the nose of my 'biners. This also helps to orient my ovals (so I know which way the gate opens).

mheyman

Aug 31, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #22 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I prefer to just use a hacksaw and cut a few notches down to the hollow on the spine. I use 4 notches, because I figure it's gonna be a less common number than 1, 2, or 3. To mark the middle of my rope, I cut the sheath and slid it off half of my rope.

These methods are also recommended as anti-theft measures in problem areas.

slobmonster

Aug 31, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #23 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This sh!t just doesn't get old.

Back on topic: use tape, tape comes off, trash at crag plus your gear is all sticky. But I suppose that after hacksawing notches and pissing on it, the stickiness won't matter.

It must be twenty minutes or so after y'all cracked your first beer. 'Cause obviously your tolerance is low.

highangle

Aug 31, 2004, 2:19 AM
Post #24 of 30 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW! I tried googling for it a few months ago and came up with nothing, THANKS CLIMBINGNURSE!!!

From the website "...durable, all vinyl, pressure sensitive tape conforms to the smallest, most irregular shapes and sticks on contact remaining securely attached. It is resistant to acids, alkalies and oils and is totally unaffected by regular cleaning or sterilization..."

If it's good enough for brain surgeons, its good enough for me! (I think it resists piss too)

mheyman

Aug 31, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #25 of 30 (3020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It must be twenty minutes or so after y'all cracked your first beer. 'Cause obviously your tolerance is low.

Ok then you want a serious answer? OK. Been using auto pin striping tape unsuccessfully for ten years. Tried a few nail polishes and paints but was never happy with the results aesthetically.

Just received $35 worth of electrical heat shrink tubing today. In a year if you ask again I'll let you know how it worked out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook