RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

anneka

Aug 24, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #1 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Harness fit
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just getting started in climbing. I spent the summer in Alaska and told my friend to keep an eye out for a good deal on a harness for me. After a lot of research and such he found a Petzl Corax for me-- which I've heard is a really comfortable, well fitting harness. It's a size 1 (XS-M). I'm pretty thin (5'8", 115lbs). I hung in it for the first time and for some reason it was not very comfortable... it was tightened as far as it could possible go but when I was sitting in it there was about 5 or 6 inches between my stomach and the webbing. The leg straps were also tightened all the way and they were still loose and digging into my legs, making them go numb. Now hopefully I won't have to do a lot of sitting/ falling in it, but could someone tell me if this is normal for a harness? I know there has to be people smaller people than me who climb. Maybe I should have gotten a women's harness?

turtl

Aug 25, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #2 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Re: Harness fit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well you are right, the harness should not give 5-6" of space between you and the harness, I'm 140lbs, and I still have a hard time finding a perfect fitting harness, my solution, don't fall. But then that goes back to the saying "if you don't fall, your not trying". So as it turns out, i've learned to take the "beating".

My suggestion would be to look into children's harnesses. Obviously you don't want a full body harness, so you will really have to look hard for it. A woman's harness might be the solution, can't say I've really looked into sizes for women's though. Good luck, and safe falls.

Partner coylec

Aug 25, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #3 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it was tightened as far as it could possible go but when I was sitting in it there was about 5 or 6 inches between my stomach and the webbing. The leg straps were also tightened all the way and they were still loose and digging into my legs,

DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Because of the loose fit of the harness, there is a possiblity (remote as it may seem), that you could come out of the harness. This is especially true in an inverted fall. Now, those are rare, but they happen. And coming out of a harness is a messy way to end your climbing experience.

Using that harness in that manner is dangerous and is counterindictated by the user manual!

Like turtl said you may want to consider womyns or children's harnesses. Another option would be a universal harness, such as the Fudge from Misty Mountain Threadworks (MMT). Granted, universals suck (no gear loops, no padding, et al), but they are going to be SAFE. And safety is the name of the game (not utility or comfort).

You may also want to search in the Ladies Room or Gearheads for smaller harnesses ... or check the gear reviews.

coylec

tchamber

Aug 26, 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #4 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think anneka realizes the potiential danger of the harness and I'm sure that is part of the reason he's looking at getting a better fit.

I'd keep trying different harnesses... The petzl corax/calidris is difficult for smaller people (a little loose on me at 5'11" 160 lbs). Personally I love mine, I had a BD Bod that fit better but was significantly more uncomfortable. Good luck in your search, I don't think you'll have to resort to children's / women's though... BD makes some pretty small sizes for men...

sava6e

Aug 26, 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #5 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i myself have purchased this particular harness and i love it it is pretty comfortable, especially considering other harnesses, i think the other people that have responded to you inquiry (oh gosh spelling) have well put it you need to seek some profesional help on sizing of your harness, safety 1st last and always

jowanky

Aug 26, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #6 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure you measure your real waist and not your hips or where you wear your shorts. Try arc`teryx, i love their harnesses.

anneka

Aug 26, 2004, 4:27 AM
Post #7 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh....

I AM a woman!

Anneka (On-nick-ah) is my name, it's Scandanavian.

I tried on the harness and hung from it again and I got it down to 3 or 4 inches. It keeps me upright and I don't think there is any possibility of slipping out of it. I won't be doing any really difficult climbs for a while yet anyway but when I do get into that I'll probably get a different harness anyway.

therealbovine

Aug 26, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #8 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fitting a harness...

1) The Swami (waistbelt), when buckled, should NOT be able to slide down and off the pelvic gurdle (hips). You should have a minimum of about 4" of tail in the webbing after you have doubled back the buckle. This allows for more/less clothing to be worn with the same harness. The belay loop should be centered in the front and the haul loop or leg loop keeper slings should be centered in the rear.

2) The leg loops are there to keep you in an upright posistion during a fall, or while hanging/rappelling. They also keep the Swami from riding up into your ribs (uncomfortable!) The leg loops can be loose (its nice to be able to slide your hand in between the leg loop and your thigh) for comfort during climbing. I have mine even looser than this.

The "gap" you have while hanging in your harness is normal, though you may have more/less gap than others, depending on your body type. Assuming you cannot slide the harness down and over your hips the gap is not an issue, as everyones body's compress at the waist/stomach areas, thus creating this "gap" when hanging in a harness.

Comfort is in the eye of the beholder. Most climbers would consider the Petzl harness you have to be a fairly comfortable harness, however depending on the type of climbing, and amount of time you actually are hanging in your harness will tell you if you need a more padded (big wall style) or less padded (alpine style) harness. My advise would be to go to your local climbing shop and try every harness on that they have available, hang in it in the store, and choose the best fit.

Best of luck!!

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Sep 3, 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #9 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great tips, trb!

5'3 - I just started climbing, again and will be checking out various harnesses myself - your posting helped; tks.

*meooowwwwwww - if it's too small!*

Partner taino

Sep 3, 2004, 1:49 PM
Post #10 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to climb with a very petite woman; she was maybe 90 lbs, and about 5' tall. She swore by the Petzl Calidris.

I upon occasion climb with a woman so petite that her waist is the size of my thigh. She had to look around, but finally found a women's harness (not a kid's harness) that actually fits her well. I'll try to find out what kind it is; it's the smallest harness I've ever seen for an adult.

T

dynosore

Sep 3, 2004, 2:04 PM
Post #11 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently got a Corax as my first harness also, and since I was borderline size 1 or 2 I went with the 2. The waist fit well at fully cinched down, but the legs were a little sloppy. By adjusting the band on back that supports the leg loops, I was able to raise the loops to where they ride a little higher on me, hence a little thicker spot on my thighs. Pretty obvious, but JIK you missed this one.

Partner cliffhanger9

Sep 3, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm 3-4 inches still seems like a little to much...but..

anyway if you are looking for a new one, as coylec mentioned, check out the gear guide...we have a womens harness category with a dozen different harnesses designed specifically for women. if you see one that looks like a potential buy, read the reviews and if you want click the "discuss this item" link and see what other people have to say about it

good lucky and welcome to rc.com! :mrgreen:

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook