RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

miklaw

Sep 10, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #1 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

lowering on bad gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I worked out that : -
1) if you take the weight rather than have your second tensuion you, there's about 30% less load on the gear.
2) don't do it till you're below the gear (it's hard to avoid puilling outwards when you're above).
3)If it's really bad you might be able to flick it out once you're down

chronicle

Sep 10, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #2 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Re: lowering on bad gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can flick it out once you are down, would you really want to trust it to be lowered from?!?!?

I would have no issue with throwing in something more bomber, and leaving it, rather than lowering off of something I know is bad. If you are below the gear, then chances are you downclimbed to it (from your description), so why not try to put in some better placements to lower from?

edited for poor grammer

sonso45

Sep 10, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lowered off a small nut on the Scenic Cruise while trying an alternative to the dreaded pegmatite traverse. Rock & Ice recommended going up the crack then L to the main route. My partner couldn't find any way to continue so he lowered off his gear. I followed, pulling all the gear til the end, that's when I noticed the nut with metal showing past the edges of the small crack. As I was lowered, the fall potential grew and so did my faith in God. When I made it down, the traverse seemed like cake. Today, I still can't think of an alternative to lowering from a lousy nut and praying for salvation.

chronicle

Sep 10, 2004, 7:00 PM
Post #4 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couldn't you put in another nut, or a small cam above or below the bad one then clip the rope into both? At least then you would have a backup.

(not trying to be an A$$ or anything, just asking as this has yet to happen to me)

gunkiemike

Sep 11, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #5 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...scary tale snipped... Today, I still can't think of an alternative to lowering from a lousy nut and praying for salvation.

Too bad you cleaned the gear. If you are lowering off a lead, put a prusik knot (or better , TWO) on the UPWARDS strand of the rope. Use the strongest cord you have. I used to have some 5.5 mm Spectra on my harness that would be good. Anyway, clip or girth hitch the prusik sling to your harness, and then work this knot down the upwards strand as you are lowered. That way, if the top gear blows, there is SOME chance that your belayer will catch you. But it's essentially a lead fall onto a prusik, so it's dicey at best. But hey, any port in a storm.

Yet another reason to have a pair of friction knot slings on your harness at all times.

kman

Sep 11, 2004, 1:38 AM
Post #6 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If that's all you have is a sh!tty piece in to lower off of then it's probably a better idea to practice your down climbing skills and use the piece as a not so reliable back up.

jerrygarcia

Sep 11, 2004, 3:22 AM
Post #7 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would have no issue with throwing in something more bomber, and leaving it, rather than lowering off of something I know is bad

Same

flamer

Sep 11, 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #8 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...scary tale snipped... Today, I still can't think of an alternative to lowering from a lousy nut and praying for salvation.

Too bad you cleaned the gear. If you are lowering off a lead, put a prusik knot (or better , TWO) on the UPWARDS strand of the rope. Use the strongest cord you have. I used to have some 5.5 mm Spectra on my harness that would be good. Anyway, clip or girth hitch the prusik sling to your harness, and then work this knot down the upwards strand as you are lowered. That way, if the top gear blows, there is SOME chance that your belayer will catch you. But it's essentially a lead fall onto a prusik, so it's dicey at best. But hey, any port in a storm.

Yet another reason to have a pair of friction knot slings on your harness at all times.

What an excellent post.
I just learned a cool new trick thanks!
Also a very opportune time for me to get the "rate this post" thing- ding this rocks....

josh

far_east_climber

Sep 11, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #9 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip 8^)

Partner euroford

Sep 11, 2004, 3:06 PM
Post #10 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool, that is a sweet trick, i never though if that!

alpnclmbr1

Sep 11, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #11 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lowering and back cleaning off of a less then bomber piece is a really bad idea. Trying to back it up with prussics is even a worse idea.

The example where a leader left it to his follower to clean up his mess, was bad as well. The second left a bail piece anyway, that means he did not have to climb up to that piece and lower off of it. he could of just pulled the rope through it and left it.

Practice downclimbing and down aiding and cleaning up your own messes.

magpie

Sep 12, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #12 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I swear I'm an intelligent person, but am trying to visualize how the prusik would help to arrest your fall... I understand the prusik concept, just don't understand how this helps when your top piece blows. I'm a visual person, so maybe something simple's being lost on me. Could someone explain this further? Thanks.

dirtineye

Sep 12, 2004, 5:42 AM
Post #13 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lowering and back cleaning off of a less then bomber piece is a really bad idea. Trying to back it up with prussics is even a worse idea.

The example where a leader left it to his follower to clean up his mess, was bad as well. The second left a bail piece anyway, that means he did not have to climb up to that piece and lower off of it. he could of just pulled the rope through it and left it.

Practice downclimbing and down aiding and cleaning up your own messes.

yeah, the downclimbing thing is right. Lowering off bad gear is stupid. Hell all my bad gear pulls out hehehe. Sometimes you're under some heinous roof, on a shitty littlel piece and yo ucan see it starting t ocome out, adn you just have to depend on your belayer and the next piece to not get totally screwed. You take out the good peices behind you in that situation, you could die.

Down aiding SUCKS, especially off an overhanging route, but if you can't downclimb and clean, you gotta do it hahaha..

It's better to aid UP the climb and rap clean/aid clean (yes you can aid clean on rappel) if that is necessary. Again, on an overhainging or roof route, this can really suck.

But lowering on bad gear sucks worse. A lot worse. Just say NO to lowering off bad gear.

PS, if you are going to aid clean, admit you are a wimp and use etries. Then it won't suck as bad. Aiding in either direction without etries is just goofy. I should know, I have too much experieince in this area hahaha.

bustinmins

Sep 12, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If that's all you have is a sh!tty piece in to lower off of then it's probably a better idea to practice your down climbing skills and use the piece as a not so reliable back up.

Ditto

dutyje

Sep 12, 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I thought Spectra was too slippery to use for prusiks. Neat idea, though, but I'd use the strongest nylon you can find. If you're worried about the strength of the cord and its ability to catch a lead fall (I'd also be worried about the prusiks shearing the climbing rope), couldn't you just tie a couple prusiks (everybody should have 2 at all times anyway)?

pfc

Sep 13, 2004, 9:02 PM
Post #16 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Magpie. How does a prussic from your harness to the upward side of the rope help you when the one piece of gear you are lowering off of fails? I'm clueless.

miklaw

Sep 13, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #17 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I didn't make clear in the initial post: - this is only in the case when there are no other options (downclimbing, placing good gear etc).

One often sees peole putting themselves in danger, you can reduce a lot of the immediate risks by tensioning yourself. Of course it's better not to need to.

Partner philbox

Sep 13, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #18 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm with Magpie. How does a prussic from your harness to the upward side of the rope help you when the one piece of gear you are lowering off of fails? I'm clueless.

Let me try to explain how this would help. Let us assume that there is more than one piece of gear in a climb. You are wishing to lower off a bad piece. Your next piece is 3 metres below you. By the time you get lowered to the second top piece you will have 6 metres of rope out that will become live if the top piece blows.

Let us now introduce a prussik into the equation. When you get to the second top piece you will have nill live rope out if the top piece blows because that loop of rope is captured by the prussik on the up piece of rope. You are in effect isolating the potential 6 metres of rope out that goes from your harness up to the top piece and then comes back down to the second top piece.

We will assume that the second top piece is bomber and could also be backed up with another bomber piece. You can then merely rap from this cluster of gear. Of course if it too is less than secure then you could repeat the process until you are safely on the ground.

It would be prudent when arriving at the second top piece to stay above the piece with your prussik but also clip a second prussik below the second top piece and then unclip from the top prussik before continuing down.

Try to not be jerky in your lowering. Think low gravity.

joshklingbeil

Sep 13, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #19 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic reminds me of lowering The Roof at Pinnacles Nat Monument. I remember one good bolt and a flexen 1/4 inch rusted peice of junk. I betcha Its still their waiting to break.

joshklingbeil

Sep 13, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #20 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic reminds me of lowering off The Roof at Pinnacles Nat Monument. I remember one good bolt and a flexen 1/4 inch rusted peice of junk. I betcha Its still their waiting to break.

singlespeed

Sep 13, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #21 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

instead of being lowered off bad gear, why not rap? the forces placed on the piece(s) are greatly reduced and it leaves you in control of the rate of descent instead of your belayer whom may not realize how sketched you are about the piece you'r on. although it does eliminate your ability to use the prussik trick.

magpie

Sep 16, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #22 of 22 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks philbox! Much clearer.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook