RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

climber4life

Sep 18, 2004, 7:37 PM
Post #1 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

1 week left, need training!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got the finals of the BRYCS (British Regional Youth Championships Series) in one week, and I can't think of any strength building training. Can anyone help out please??

reno

Sep 18, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #2 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Re: 1 week left, need training!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got one week left, and NOW you want to start training?

A little late, don't ya think??

Look through the Techniques and Training forums... there are several threads that discuss strength training. None of them will show results in 7 days, though.

Next year, plan a little better.

craghag

Sep 18, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Strength training for 1 week just ain't gonna do it.

andy_reagan

Sep 18, 2004, 8:14 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sandstone or granite strength training?

hurdles

Sep 18, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #5 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if anything, I would make this week very light so you can be at 100 percent when the competition starts.

climbingfreak45

Sep 18, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #6 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea, definatly a little to late to think about training, but i agree with the above poster in saying keep things light and non strenous so you dont have a chance to injure yourself before the comp

edge

Sep 18, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #7 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, let me congratulate you on getting to 100 posts so quickly after establishing an account. I think you set some sort of record.

Secondly, I think you would benefit this site more, and benefit more from this site, if you read/searched more and typed less. At 12 years old I know that you must be enthusiastic, but come on man, ease off of the postings and look around. Smell the roses, don't pick them with a chainsaw.

bensnyder

Sep 19, 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #8 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to train in 7 days you might be screwed. The only thing i can think of are things that would create neural adaptations in the muscle. This kind of adaptation is what makes the diffrence between muscle tissue that fires in a haphazard way (weak contraction) or in a uniform and powerful way. Since youre young like me (I'm 15), these adaptations come easily to us. If you can do 25 pull ups, you might want to try working on one arm stregnth; i found that i could do a one arm pull up about 6 days after i started trying to do one not because my muscles got stronger, but because they learned to contract in a diffrent and more powerful way. Do frenchies, lock offs, weighted pull ups, w/e if youre gonna work on arm stregnth and doorjam pull ups on as few fingers as you can for finger stregnth...good luck with the comp and pull hard for us all!

robmcc

Sep 19, 2004, 1:18 AM
Post #9 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got the finals of the BRYCS (British Regional Youth Championships Series) in one week, and I can't think of any strength building training. Can anyone help out please??

What they said. It's too late to train for it. Your best bet is not doing something stupid to injure yourself by training to hard now.

If this were a run, you'd be in the taper period where you actually back off. Cut your mileage in order to hit the run date at peak form, not a form where your body is recovering from training stress.

Rob

jpearl

Sep 19, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #10 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a competition climber myself, but I can offer you this advice:

No amount of training in one week will make you any bit the stronger (as advised in above posts). If you have one week, use it wisely. Think about your strong points as a climber, and think about your weak points as well. Have you climber competively before? What are the marks of a good competition climber?

I would say (and agree again with prior posts), build up to your competition, but don't burn out before hand. Climb hard over the next day or two, then taper off. You will be well conditioned for your competion without being drained. Think also about your diet and rest the day before and during the event.

Any climber can be strong, but the well conditioned and prepared ones are the climbers standing atop podiums.

Good luck!

overlord

Sep 19, 2004, 9:54 AM
Post #11 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF you really want to train (but one week is a really short time), use a campus board.

use it onew day on, one day off, for two times. that leaves you with thre days to spare. rest the first, go for a light training (power endurance, endurance, no strength, foocusing on technique) on the second, rest the last. that should maximize the benefits for such a small amout of time. just be carefull you dont blow something on the campus.

climber4life

Sep 19, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #12 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guys, I haven't just started training, but if there's any way I can get just a little better, that would be appriciated.
I've got a bit of a scedule for the week, but its not too complicated:
Monday: Going to town, so doing a lot of walking. Gonna do some running after, and maybe some press-ups (I've got press up bars).
Tuesday: Climbing at Pencoed college. Just a few climbs there, hard though.
Wednesday: Proper climbing up at my fave centre.
Thursday: Nothing. My resting day :wink:
Friday: Leaving for Sunderland.

pico23

Sep 20, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #13 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would hit the hang board hard. add lots of finger curls to that. don't let up, a week is like a lifetime when it comes to conditioning. congrats on the 100 post mark. if you keep up that pace you'll be # 1 in no time.

climb_plastic

Sep 20, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #14 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You made it the finals of the BRYCS and you're asking us for advice? Everyone is answering your question like your a noobie so I don't think that'll help you much.

climber4life

Sep 21, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #15 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You made it the finals of the BRYCS and you're asking us for advice? Everyone is answering your question like your a noobie so I don't think that'll help you much.

:oops: Thanks, man. If you wanna know: IT WASN'T EASY!!
The first two rounds wern't too hard, but the boulders in the third were nuts.
Oh, and looking back on my last post, the one with the timetable, I'm not going Tuesday.

rob

Sep 21, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #16 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First of all, let me congratulate you on getting to 100 posts so quickly after establishing an account. I think you set some sort of record.

Secondly, I think you would benefit this site more, and benefit more from this site, if you read/searched more and typed less. At 12 years old I know that you must be enthusiastic, but come on man, ease off of the postings and look around. Smell the roses, don't pick them with a chainsaw.

I'm just a lurker, but it's elitest posts like this that generally keep me lurking. Sure he's 12 years old and enthusiastic and yes he hit 117 posts in two and a half months, but is someone who has made 2271 posts in 17 months in any position to comment?

You took the time out of your day to respond to his question -- a response to a post that nobody forced you to read, and a response that actually had nothing to do with the question posed -- all just to put him in his place.

Why not just let the young be enthusiastic, there's plenty of time to be bitter and pedantic when he's old.

Flame away,

rob

climbsomething

Sep 21, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Y'all are missing the point of his OP: he's, like, going to a big comp! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!11

robmcc

Sep 21, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Y'all are missing the point of his OP: he's, like, going to a big comp! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!11

Damn! Nobody S rated it yet, did they? I'll suggest S8, just for the stealth evidenced by the way we all honed in on the silliness of the question, rather than the inherent spray.

Nicely done!

Rob

climber4life

Sep 21, 2004, 7:04 PM
Post #19 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8^)
Seriously, I'm getting really excited, I'M LEAVING ON FRIDAY!!
In case you're curious too, there's gonna be 3 top-rope climbs and 5 intense boulders.

headchop

Sep 21, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Finally!! I've been lurking in the shadows waiting for somebody else to call him on this.

'Bout bloody time.

climber4life

Sep 26, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Guys.
Just got back from the comp 2day, came 12th out of 30. Bit disappointed to be honest, that they didn't give out any prizes (except medals for 3rd 2nd and 1st). Got a free T-shirt though, and it was a great laugh!

gritstoner

Sep 26, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice one youth.
top half's good going. so long as it was a laugh it has to have been worth while.

keazah

Sep 26, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i would hit the hang board hard. add lots of finger curls to that. don't let up, a week is like a lifetime when it comes to conditioning. congrats on the 100 post mark. if you keep up that pace you'll be # 1 in no time.

Pardon the ignorance... but... finger curls?? What exactly is that?? How does it help?? and is it easy to get injured by doing them??

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook