RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

drbeagle

Sep 30, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Resoled shoes have stretched toe box
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got my La Sportiva Katanas (size 42.5) back from Yosemite Bum. I ordered a 1/2 thin resole.

I just got them back today; the resole looks fantastic. From the outside, the shoes look almost brand new.

But, when I tried them on, I noticed that the front half is significantly more loose than before. I tighten the lower velcro strap all the way down and I can still wiggle my toes.

Is this a common problem with resoles? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
David Bild

overlord

Oct 1, 2004, 7:15 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Re: Resoled shoes have stretched toe box [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no, thats not normal. all my resoles returned shoes in an almost-new state.

sounds like they screwed up a bit.

traddad

Oct 1, 2004, 1:22 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been common for me. Not necessisarily from Y-Bum, but almost every resole I have ever had has significantly changed the shape and/or size of the toe box of my shoes. I now send about a page of special instructions with my shoes imploring them to NOT make the toe box round (almost EVERY resoler I have EVER used has turned my pointy toed pocket grabbers into blunt objects) and to not change the width of the toe box. Even with these admonitions, I ALWAYS have to take a Dremel tool to my newly resoled shoes to hack away all of the excess rubber that has been slopped onto the inside/big toe area.
While I'm ranting....I also hate it when the resoler doesn't glue down the whole sole. One company I went to only glued down the outer edges of the sole. The result was a sole that was significantly more sloppy and actually oozed around on small edges. Luckily, that resoler is now out of the biz.
I love slabs (there I said it!) and being over 200lbs and with an upper body that resembles Pee Wee Herman's on a bad day, I need my feet to do the work. A bad resole really blows it for me.

anykineclimb

Oct 1, 2004, 2:17 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the Katana being a slip lasted shoe, theres little support once the outsole is removed. Theres bound to be some sort of deformation during a resole.

timstich

Oct 1, 2004, 2:21 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I understand, it's basically impossible to resole a climbing shoe without compromising fit. This was from a resoler who admitted that no, they don't end up being just like new.

drbeagle

Oct 2, 2004, 1:29 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like it to be expected with a resole. Especially on a shoe like the Katana. This just means I may need to replace my shoes every couple of resoles rather than continually resoling. Oh well.

I'm headed to a gym here in Chicago today so I'll try them out and see how I like the fit.

Thanks,
David

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook