Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tenn_dawg

Jun 19, 2003, 4:14 AM
Post #26 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Re: Stick Clip that Removes Biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Convenience.

My point.

Travis

chitlinsconcarne

Jun 19, 2003, 6:55 AM
Post #27 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
The reason you need to unclip the draw with a stick clip is if you can't make it to the first clip.

Huh? How could you possibly not be able to make it to the first bolt if you've stick clipped it? You're on TR. Even if you can't pull the moves, you can always batman up or boink.

-Jay

Not if you've already pulled the string.

String? What string? You mean the rope?

In reply to:
For the terminally lazy like myself, its extra points if one can unclip the draw without leaving a reclining position.

Sorry, but I still don't understand why you would ever need to unclip the first draw with a stick clip. Why would you stick clip the first draw, then pull your rope? I cannot envision a circumstance in which you would have to stick unclip a draw, unless for some weird reason you stick clipped the draw without putting the rope through it, and then decided you didn't want to do the route. And the answer to that is just not to do that.

-Jay

Some personal experiences with this(in one 24 hr. period, no less.):

Stick clipped the first bolt on a route with a first bolt made to be clipped just so. A few more bolts up and I be stuck cold on the crux, elvis is in the building and that day it just ain't gonna happen. Down fall back to the first bolt, lower, unstickamoclipadeedoodah and its off to the bar to blot out my ignominious performance with tasty scottish libations.

Next day..
With the trusty stick, first draw (and just maybe the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.) goes up. "Hey you hungover sot", says the better half, " considering that you're putting your shoes on the wrong feets,I 'd say you got even less chance of getting up this today than yesterday. Lets go to the buffet instead." Foolishly I pay no heed and, of course, fail again. Repeat of previous days shenanigans. Except.. on the way out..

Hey, lookit that!
Some lazy goober left that nice, shiney leaver biner hanging right up there. Booty call! She's mine and I didn't even have to shoe up. All is right in the world once again..

Its all true I tell ya.

jt512

Jun 19, 2003, 4:36 PM
Post #28 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Sorry, but I still don't understand why you would ever need to unclip the first draw with a stick clip. Why would you stick clip the first draw, then pull your rope? I cannot envision a circumstance in which you would have to stick unclip a draw, unless for some weird reason you stick clipped the draw without putting the rope through it, and then decided you didn't want to do the route. And the answer to that is just not to do that.

-Jay

Some personal experiences with this...:

Stick clipped the first bolt on a route with a first bolt made to be clipped just so. A few more bolts up and I be stuck cold on the crux, elvis is in the building and that day it just ain't gonna happen. Down fall back to the first bolt, lower, unstickamoclipadeedoodah and its off to the bar to blot out my ignominious performance with tasty scottish libations.

Why would you down-fall the route to clean it when you could clean it on rappel from the high bolt? You don't even need to leave a biner if you know the Texas rope trick.

-Jay

Partner one900johnnyk

Jun 19, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #29 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what's the texas rope trick?

jt512

Jun 19, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #30 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what's the texas rope trick?

The diagram has gotten a bit messed up, apparently when the site upgraded to the new system, but it is described here: The Texas Rope Trick

-Jay

chitlinsconcarne

Jun 19, 2003, 6:44 PM
Post #31 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Some personal experiences with this...:

Why would you down-fall the route to clean it when you could clean it on rappel from the high bolt? You don't even need to leave a biner if you know the Texas rope trick.

-Jay

Cuz its quick and dirty. Keeps the belayer busy (laughing at my pathetic attempts to downclimb just..one..more..inch to put off the inevitable plunge). I never carry any sewn slings on sprot climbs to do rope tricks with, their tendancy to swing around on my harness throws off my balance and detracts from the perfect profile of my buttocks.

I'll stick to tilting at windmills with my giant cliplance and leave the rope tricks to the texans.

flash

Sep 13, 2003, 3:46 AM
Post #32 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the PERFECT answer for your simple question:
Contact Trango.
They came out with a new stick clip (for $12 or something). It is brand new and will clip OR UNCLIP a rope / biner.
It's called the Squid.
Check it out.
I played with it at the OR Show in UT, and I will vouch for it.

Partner camhead

Sep 13, 2003, 6:10 AM
Post #33 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this debate over the last few pages is hilarious.

nobody has yet mentioned that quite frequently, the harder the route, the steeper it is likely to be. on steep stuff, the last three or four draws are ALWAYS a pain to clean while being lowered.

by far the easiest alternative would be to unclip them from the ground with a nifty little stick clip device. yes, there are a myriad of other ways to clean a route, but as tenndawg said... CONVENIENCE!!!

word.

deadpointman

Sep 13, 2003, 6:37 AM
Post #34 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Flash, sounds like just the thing. I'll keep my eye out for it and probably buy one as soon as I can.

organic

Sep 13, 2003, 9:24 AM
Post #35 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use two sticks one to hold the gate opne the other to remove the biner.

biff

Aug 27, 2004, 9:09 PM
Post #36 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to bring back such an old thread .. but here is a link to a product that I just reviewd.

It removes draws, and is cheaper than the other products that I have seen that make that claim.

http://www.rockclibming.com/gear/product.php?p=2656

thipp

Sep 7, 2004, 5:03 AM
Post #37 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trango makes a stick clip called the Squid which works very well to remove draws and costs about $ 30.00. It attatches to any type of window washing pole.

russell

Oct 3, 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #38 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock climbing Tools makes one called Superclip. $21.95 with free shipping. Its listed in the gear section or goto rockclimbingtools.com to check it out. :wink:

Here is a quote by maculated from the Outdoor Recreation show:

Super Clip - RockClimbingTools.com
Aside from zealousness its proprietor had for his product, this is a pretty nifty contraption. I'm not a stick-clip owner (though I should be), but I've used all manner of products down to a stick with some tape on it. What sets this clip apart is its lack of breakable parts and the additional feature of being able to also remove biners from hangers.

fiend

Oct 3, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #39 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have the PERFECT answer for your simple question:
Contact Trango.
They came out with a new stick clip (for $12 or something). It is brand new and will clip OR UNCLIP a rope / biner.
It's called the Squid.
Check it out.
I played with it at the OR Show in UT, and I will vouch for it.

http://www.mtntools.com/...lder/trangosquid.htm

There's pictures on that page which will show the squid. As far as stick clips go, it's pretty rad.

dig_scott

Oct 3, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #40 of 40 (4810 views)
Shortcut

get a squid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i didnt take the time to read a 3 page post.

the squid is a stick clip that removes clips and can clip the rope.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook