Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Does your ego help or hinder your climbing abilities?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hardcoredana

Apr 2, 2002, 10:58 PM
Post #1 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Does your ego help or hinder your climbing abilities?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you rely on your ego to get you through the crux, or do you find that you have to reach past the ego in order to get past the crux?

This question is complicated by the multiple meanings of the word "ego". For the purposes of this thread, I refer to two definitions of "ego" that I find to appropriate:

EGO
1. In psycholanalysis, the part of the psyche that is conscious, most directly controls thought and behavior, and is most aware of external reality
2. An exaggerated sense of self-importance

I realize that because the word "ego" is slippery, communication on this topic will be difficult. In order to ease communication problems, perhaps you should explicitly state which definition of ego forms the basis for your answer.

kamofladge

Apr 2, 2002, 11:08 PM
Post #2 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Does your ego help or hinder your climbing abilities? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the second definition would best suit me. But I does help me in a way. I can be working on a problem and failing it every time I try. It is my 'ego' that pushes me anlong to finish the problem. But as I am sure many people like my self have allowed our ego's to blind us for a moment and have recived injuries and tounge lashings from fellow climbers. SO either way my ego can encourage me to preform at my best or it can become a hinderance to my ability. I think that in any case it can cause a ton of problems and be used to better ones abilities.

laplaya

Apr 2, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #3 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is this anything like the thread about wether breasts help or hinder climbing?

elcapbuzz

Apr 2, 2002, 11:24 PM
Post #4 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hardcoredana, good job on your wording. I wasn't sure what I was going to read after opening this thread.

I like the first definition. I can usually psyche my self into performing better by having an ego (the first meaning, NOT having a big head).

I don't think there's anything wrong with this. If you know you're good enough to do something, you should have confidence and use that as a tool.

I use this in climbing but mostly in walking highlines. You have to be confident to even attempt to walk one.

I also think people get confidence and ego (a big head) confused with each other.

You gave me something to think about, Ammon

jt512

Apr 2, 2002, 11:35 PM
Post #5 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I understand EGO1 correctly, then it definitely gets in the way. I climb best when I manage to slip into "the zone" and climb unconsciously. This is especially true if I find the route scary.

As for EGO2, I'm in the same boat as xgretax (though I would not have guessed that about her). It's the self-doubt that gets in the way of the hard move.

-Jay

miagi

Apr 2, 2002, 11:44 PM
Post #6 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If i can get totally in control of myself and zoned in, I can accomplish alot. Its harder to get me to zone out.
For my ego, im not really zoning out into my own world. Its more of a pressure to do good. Personally, I think that my zoning out on my own is better than pushing myself with my ego.

elcapbuzz

Apr 3, 2002, 12:02 AM
Post #7 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MMmmm, very interesting Mr. Miagi.

I don't like zoning out while free climbing. I do it a lot while aiding on big walls but when free climbing, I like to zone "IN".

Maybe that's what you meant.

By zoning in, you are more aware of your surroundings, your belayer, the girl who is distracting your belayer, etc.

By zoning "Out", I don't think you would be aware of these things.

I like to zone out while walking the slackline because it's just me and the line. No one else matters (at that point).

Ammon

clam

Apr 3, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #8 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The part of the ego that compares with others is deadly for me. It comes out most often in the gym, not usually outside. I have to consciously "kill" this comparing ego or I can't climb.
Ego outside doesn't seem to be there. I am into the climb. I am happy and free. At the crux or when exposed I seem to hum, or talk to myself, "yes, this is possible, feet, feet, don't overgrip, relax, breath." Stuff like that. That may be ego 1 in the original post. But I tend to think of ego in that negative sense I mentioned earlier, and it has no place climbing. As a matter of fact climbing seems to free me. Maybe that's why I love it.

Partner pianomahnn

Apr 3, 2002, 1:24 AM
Post #9 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in love with myself. I would rather be no one but who I am. Ego? I don't think so. Self love is important.

I rely on my determination to do things. If I'm just putzing around, bleh, it won't matter what happens. But if there is some sexy lady in the crowd (you know who you are) I'm going to get all pumped up to do more.

Self love is win.

crackaddict

Apr 3, 2002, 1:46 AM
Post #10 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Ego is a loud mouth!
It is what gets me to think I can pull off a really hard climb.
The crux is the big guy that my Ego is talking crap to. He takes all he can take then usually beats the crap out of my Ego and leaves it bruised and beaten.
But sometimes my Ego gets in a lucky punch and drops that punk! And says thats right!
Beotch!

hardcoredana

Apr 3, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #11 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pianomahnn:
Interestingly enough, there was a 3rd definition in the dictionary that I chose to ignore because I thought it was an easy out to the question at hand.

EGO
3. Appropriate self-pride

Ammon:
I respect you, both as a climber and as a decent human being. I take it as a huge compliment that I gave you something to think about. Thank you.

jt512 & xgretax:
I used to have that problem, too. Still do, on my off days. I like to think that climbing is what has helped me get over it. That, and I finally realized that it is necessary to suck before you get better.

treyr

Apr 3, 2002, 2:00 AM
Post #12 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It hinders mine cuz i am a showoff and i try these big moves just to fall and get laughed at!

Trob

passthepitonspete

Apr 3, 2002, 4:58 AM
Post #13 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, where does the ego fit in with the solo climber?

I'm not sure - I'm up there alone, so it's not like there is anyone to "show off" for or to try to impress.

After a while, I just sort of stopped caring what people thought about me and my climbing. I think it happened around the time I first started soloing walls. I stopped measuring myself against others, and created my own identity. I have my own way of doing things, and that suits me just fine. If anyone ask me how I do it, I'm delighted to share.

Up until recently, I could honestly say that I was never happier than when I was alone on a wall, struggling to solve the problems and pushing myself to my limit - and beyond.

I'm the type of person who rises to the occasion - I need to put myself into some danger and become scared before I can properly focus. That's why being alone enhances the experience.

But recent developments have caused me to question this way of thinking - climbing CAN be about relationships, about forging a partnership, and about seeking my joy in the accomplishments of others. This is a new feeling for me and I quite enjoy it.

But when I'm alone, knowing that I have the experience, knowing that I have stood on the summit so many times when so many others have failed - call it ego, or call it sense of worth - but if I know I can do it, then I know I can do it.

Plus I'm just too damn stubborn to give up!

Works for me.....

jt512

Apr 3, 2002, 5:08 AM
Post #14 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote: PTPP: Hmm, where does the ego fit in with the solo climber?

At the computer, apparently.

-Jay

jmlangford

Apr 3, 2002, 5:12 AM
Post #15 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang Pete! That was good!

maculated

Apr 3, 2002, 5:21 AM
Post #16 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ego . . . hinders me. Generally, I'm a competitive person and if I feel like I'm being threatened I respond very poorly. If someone is far better than me and pressuring me, so then I lose my ego and climb very poorly because I have no confidence or focus. Also, which is more the case most often, I get on a route that everyone else is doing and doing well and I fall off, I get frustrated and the climb might as well be over because my ego is burned. NOT a pretty sight.

wigglestick

Apr 3, 2002, 3:35 PM
Post #17 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dana - Thanks for thinking up a worthwhile, thought provoking topic.

I would have to say that my ego, or big headedness as some are calling it, hurts me more often than it helps. Every once in while I start to feel pretty bad ass and my head begins to swell. Once that happens it is usually only a matter of time before I have an ego shattering experience by getting spanked by some route. It is during those times that I have to remind myself that I suck and therefore I should just enjoy the climbing instead of chasing the numbers.

That being said, however, I have also found that a little bit of healthy competition can help my climbing substantially. When I first started climbing my first climbing partner were pretty close in ability but our styles were wildly different. The fact that we both excelled at different parts of the sport only pushed the other to do better. I remember thinking to myself
"How did that short burly punk do that move when I can't ?!?!?!?"
and I am sure that there were times when he was thinking
"how did that tall skinny punk do that move when I can't?!?!?!?"

And at times, other peoples egos help my climbing ability a great deal. Not only in climbing but in basketball, pool, ping pong, golf, etc. I may usually suck at those sports but if you start talking trash and make me angry I will beat you. I don't know how but I will find a way to beat you. Being in a situation like that forces me to concentrate harder than I ever could on my own and I am able to perform on a different level.

hardcoredana

Apr 5, 2002, 2:18 AM
Post #18 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump.

suprepopps

May 22, 2002, 7:58 AM
Post #19 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes it does both. If my ego is boosted too much then I can become too confident in my movements and fall going for a move I probably shouldn't have(also if I'm not confident enough and question myself). However, if I am truely confident, it can be a great thing. My confidence and ego tend to boost others sometimes.

overlord

May 22, 2002, 8:41 AM
Post #20 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sometimes it helps. normally

maddie

May 22, 2002, 10:11 AM
Post #21 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When i'm about to tackle a difficult climb, usually if im thinking "Sh*t this is going to be f*#king hard, but im going to try" it works better, opposed to if i'm thinking; "I can do this, this is easy".
I dunno just some mind games my brain likes to play with me sometimes

holygecko

May 22, 2002, 2:47 PM
Post #22 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with rockjunkie that egos proally sometimes get in the way of making good descisions, but I also believe that alittle bit of an ego will make you climb harder and strive to be a better climber

astone

May 22, 2002, 7:36 PM
Post #23 of 29 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fact that you are even asking this question indicates that you have too much ego to even get near the crux...

spectral

May 22, 2002, 8:04 PM
Post #24 of 29 (2965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted something about an "Inner Game" of climbing, sort of relevant to this topic. If anyone here has the time, please see "The Inner Game of Tennis" by Gallwey. It has a complete analysis of the ego's effect on human performance. It's a very general treatment of the subject, using tennis as an example. I think that his writing is very pertinent to climbing.

treyr

May 23, 2002, 11:17 AM
Post #25 of 29 (2963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Ego Definitely helps. I know if I dont hit the route I will get trashed by my friends

Trob

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook