RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

jeffers_mz

Oct 6, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

What Have I Done and How Do I Fix It?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lower calf was tight all day at work, just enough to impede smooth walking, and then going down the stairs at quitting time there was a very sharp pain and kind of a vibration or quivering spasm, like somebody hooked me up to a 220 volt circuit.

Now the foot won't bend up past 85 degrees. There's some pain when I try, but not too bad, but the calf muscle or whatever just won't stretch enough to allow the foot to go flat or angle up, and walking is now significantly impaired. Something tells me that it is going to be worse in the morning.

Can I just stretch it out and work through it, or is thatliable to make things worse?

reno

Oct 6, 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Re: What Have I Done and How Do I Fix It? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Having any pain further up the leg, say in the thigh area?

Any recent injury (sprain, strain, etc.)?

Been eating right?

Is the foot cool to the touch?

debaser655321

Oct 6, 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds bad. . .

what spurred this on? did you fall? day on slabs, that usually works my calves out (moooo).

If you did indeed have a tramatic injury, yes, it sure seems like you should get it looked at.

fiend

Oct 6, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Step 1: Proceed immediately to kitchen.
Step 2: Procure salt.
Step 3: Procure one (1) grain.
Step 4: Take above grain with advice given here.
Step 5: Repeat Step 4 as often as necessary.

:P

jakedatc

Oct 6, 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Step 1: Proceed immediately to kitchen.
Step 2: Procure salt.
Step 3: Procure one (1) grain.
Step 4: Take above grain with advice given here.
Step 5: Repeat Step 4 as often as necessary.
:P

HAHAHAHA awesome

jeffers_mz

Oct 7, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reno, it felt like standard muscle soreness all day. Maybe a strain, from an unprepared for rush up three flights of stairs the day before, and maybe just unflushed glycogen by-products. Nothing in the thigh area, all localized at the lower end of the calf muscle and more towards the inner lobe. Outside the sharp pain, the most unsettling thing was the AC effect. I've tied into 110 volts a time or two before, and it was a lot like that, only stronger, with some sensation of heat too.

I was carrying some stuff down the stairs and it started to go wrong and when I stopped, thaty leg, the left, was behind me, most of the stopping force came from the other, but whatever was affested was at max extension with the knee bent and the foot up one stair and behind me. I think it was near the edge and the slight effort exerted to stop put it right around the level of causing injury.

Been eating adequately, nothing exemplary, but at least one helping of the four majors everyday.

The foot is about the same temp to the touch as the rest of the leg and other foot.

The good news is that instead of stiffening up, it has now tapered off to a more severe level of what feels like muscle soreness. Palpitating the area, it feels like there is a deep bruise around on the inside of the leg, one third of the way below the bottom of the calf muscle and the ankle bone, and I expect to see a sunrise there in a day or so.

The pain when the foot tries to bend up past 85 degrees though, is back under the inner lobe of the calf muscle.

Based on what I'm feeling right now, I think I can stretch it out and limp through the rest of the week. Walking is not overly painful, but it is awkward since the foot doesn't bend far enough to permit a normal gait.

I haven't been on this job that long, things are going very well, and I don't want to open the insurance/medical can of worms only to be told to go easy on it and stretch before working it. Bottom line, if the boss is around tomorrow, odds are he's going to notice and ask questions.

I think I can deflect him, and that this will end up as a significant strain, but probably not a tear or anything lasting, but for the record, I'll post a follow-up after I work it a day or two and see how things go.

Thanks for the responses, including the humorous ones.

(Insert firewall compatible smiley here.)

forbin

Oct 7, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend filing an incident report at work. I've tried to walk off work related injuries and it's a big mistake. If this ends up becoming a chronic pain and you haven't done the appropriate paperwork things tend to become a major headache. Usually in cases like this you can just say "I'm sure this will clear up in a few days, but I want to put it on the record just in case." It's a lot better than realizing two months from now that it is still a problem and then trying to convince your employer that you really were injured at work. Good luck with the recovery.

prufrock

Oct 7, 2004, 6:53 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's a lot better than realizing two months from now that it is still a problem and then trying to convince your employer that you really were injured at work.

Especially because if you tell your regular insurance provider that it occurred at work, they will not treat you. But you could just tell them you did it at home. But just be smart and keep your story straight. If you fail to file a claim at work, but end up in the clinic in a month, and slip up and mention you hurt yourself at work, you end up really screwed.

Hope it heals (sounds like it will).

darkstar

Oct 7, 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like you have some inflamation and it caused a nerve to pinch slightly ... try mixing up your walking gait ... for example when going up stairs skip one stair every other step .. walk tip toes alittle bit just keep mixing it up ...other than that[ rest ] dark

anykineclimb

Oct 7, 2004, 1:52 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... try mixing up your walking gait ... for example when going up stairs skip one stair every other step .. walk tip toes alittle bit just keep mixing it up ...

Skipping works for me :lol:

petro

Oct 7, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's no hope of recovery, I suggest euthanasia...

Partner pt

Oct 7, 2004, 1:59 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

calf pain with inability to dorsi-flex the ankle is one sign of a DVT (deep venous thrombosis) or BLOOD CLOT. If you have any warmth or redness in the calf then you should get it checked immediately.

darkstar

Oct 7, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

......that was my first thought as well ,deep vein thrombosis however , the electral sensation is inconsistant ....anyhow DVT is very serious ,,, you should have it checked .....dark

losgadh

Oct 7, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heres an idea....

Go see a real Doctor!

Last time i f*ed with something like this, i waited three monthes figuring it would heal and go away. It got worse, i finally went to the Dr. and i have nerve damage in my leg and can't climb for a month now, at least!

kman

Oct 8, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't even take the advise of these jokers. Except for maybe Reno. Reno's profile
In reply to:
I'm a Flight Paramedic in Arizona,

Go see a REAL doctor.

Oh, and as a health and safety guy I would highly recommend getting the paper trail started at work if that's where it happened. You may get into trouble if it comes up later and your employer finds out it happened at work. Not reporting it could possibly be breaking company policy. Your boss would have to be a real dick to give you a hassle for doing things the right way.

Signed,
health and safety guy / first aid attendant / boss.

reno

Oct 8, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff:

With the usual caveat, it sounds like a small tear in the gastrocnemius/soleus complex (i.e. the calf muscle.)

Typical stuff: Gentle stretching, some Advil/Tylenol for the pain/aches, ice at night, take it easy for a while, etc.

My biggest concern, really is this comment:

In reply to:
...the most unsettling thing was the AC effect. I've tied into 110 volts a time or two before, and it was a lot like that...

Either you've got some strange perversion-fetish, or you need better nightlife out there in Indiana. :)

Take care, my friend. When you coming back out west? I've got a campfire and a case of Bridgeport IPA with our names on it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook