Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bodytag

Oct 12, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #1 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Chalk in the gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, I am not sure what it's like in your gym but I got in trouble last night for having "loose" chalk in my bag. I am expected to buy Xbrand ball chalk from the gym and not "make a mess" with the loose stuff. What the hell is going on? Its a freggin gym and I hate those balls. I mean when I'm pumped and need to chalk my paws in a hurry I am not going to fight to try to get my hands around one of those silly balls. Am I being rude or unfare to the gym rats who for gosh sake might have to run the hoover after the gym closes? Tell me it's all a bad dream. Keep our gym clean...come on, R U serious....

Sweaty hands for loose chalk.

greyicewater

Oct 12, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #2 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chalk in the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, the gym i go to/work at doesn't allow loose chalk. i continue to use it though (loose chalk, that is). the manager always flips out when it's spilled. i'm not going to buy a chalk ball, it's just a hassle.

killclimbz

Oct 12, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #3 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Making you use chalk balls is indicative of a gym that has a poor air filteration system.
Another way to get around this (and this works) is if your gym mandates that you use a chalk ball fine. Before you start a climb take the ball out of the bag and pat your hands with it. This creates a much worse dust cloud than loose challk in the bag. encourage your buds and others to do the same. Pretty soon you gym will drop that stupid rule.

greyicewater

Oct 12, 2004, 4:24 PM
Post #4 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tried that... everyone just got yelled at and now we can't take the balls out of the bags...

robmcc

Oct 12, 2004, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Use the ball.

Rob

chronicle

Oct 12, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #6 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym I climb at before I moved actually had a bouldering bucket full of loose chalk for anyone that wanted to use it. They complained about spilling sometimes, but given that it takes just a couple of minutes to vaccum the place, they never worried too much.

Sounds like your gym sucks!!!

thisguy

Oct 12, 2004, 4:50 PM
Post #7 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have to say the bigger issue here is that you have been a member of rc.com for two years and that was your first post? :D I mean two years and chalk was the first thing that you were wondering about.

Anyway...throw a chalk ball in your bag and still pour some loose chalk in around it, then its up to you if you go for the ball of the loose stuff.

Guy

xcmntgeek

Oct 12, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #8 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Use both [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I pur some loose chalk in my "gym" bag and then put a ball in. Hey, I'm using a ball, right?

jamaica

Oct 12, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #9 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A chalk ball doesn't work for me, mainly because I need enough chalk to counteract all that rubber, sweat, and filth on the holds just to hang onto them. Thank goodness I live close enough to a crag where a gym is only last resort for me (snowing, raining, cold, etc...)

Jamaica 8^)

treyfrancisclimbs

Oct 12, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #10 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have to use a chalk ball, just pack it as big as a softball and then beat the crap out of it before you put it in your bag. It stretches out the ball and i find that is provides alot of excess chalk in the bottom and on the sides of my bag, as well as giving much more chalk coming from the ball when you grab it. I am one sweaty bastard and have to chalk up repeatedly when i am climbing indoors, and i never have problems getting enough chalk on my hands with the ball.

cjcalls

Oct 12, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #11 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chalk is AID.
but then again your in a gym.

bodytag

Oct 12, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #12 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I'm not big into posting. It just kind of took me off guard. I've never heard of such a policy. I'm a sweety kid and like to dive my hands into a fat bag of chalk. Call me silly. :wink:

greyicewater

Oct 12, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #13 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, what i found that helps with a chalk ball is that you could puncture it with a pen or knife a few times... that way it's not so hard AND you have some loose chalk!

Partner j_ung

Oct 12, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #14 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oops

Partner j_ung

Oct 12, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #15 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to lend a gym's perspective...

One person using loose chalk is not that big a deal. A whole gym full of people using loose chalk is still not that big a deal. But over the course of a year chalkdust gets into everything -- stereo, computers, printers, faxes, phones, lights, employees' lungs -- none of which are cheap or easy to repair or replace.

maculated

Oct 12, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #16 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Least of all the employee's lungs. Once the ol' white death settles in, they're in trouble.

bodytag

Oct 12, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #17 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chalk is AID..that's farkin hillarious, I love it. I must get laser surgery and seal up the palms of my hands. One of my partners climbs "straight-edge" without chalk....I have no idea how he does it. I guess if my power level was there i'd just grip so hard the sweat would oooze out the side. And yea, I can't spell either. Sweet sweat needs chalk love.

healyje

Oct 12, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #18 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I've been wondering for awhile now that gyms are firmly rooted in our culture if they wouldn't make an absolutely fascinating dissertation for someone getting the Ph.d. in Environmental Epidemiology. I suspect it's only a matter of time before this also becomes an OSHA issue as well.

petsfed

Oct 12, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #19 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The big key is the lungs. A lot of gyms don't ban all loose chalk, just Metolius chalk. Their secret additive is a silica derivative (like in those drying packets that come with computer hardware), which is a carcinogen. Like was said, those gyms that ban all loose chalk have a poor ventilation system to get rid of the chalk dust. However, before you complain about having to use a chalk ball when you go to the gym, remember that chalk is banned entirely at places like Garden of the Gods (Colorado), Devil's Lake (Wisconsin), other access sensitive areas. If you can't climb without chalk, maybe you need to become a better climber.

/still warms down wearing approach shoes and eschewing chalk

healyje

Oct 13, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #20 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a listing or resource anywhere for areas that prohibit chalk?

anykineclimb

Oct 13, 2004, 6:54 AM
Post #21 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a refillable chalk ball and let out some of the chalk. toss it in a bag with some of the loose stuff. works pretty good.

In reply to:
A lot of gyms don't ban all loose chalk, just Metolius chalk
Exactly how do they determine you're using Metolius chalk? Your gym has some sort of testin unit?? :roll:

Partner tyify

Oct 13, 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #22 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

nthisthebesta moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nthisthebesta moved this thread from General to Indoor Gyms.

ajkclay

Oct 13, 2004, 7:10 AM
Post #23 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Biggest load of bullsh!t ever!

You guys aren't serious are you?

"Most gyms only ban metolius chalk" WHAT? I have never seen a gym with a sign that says 'No Metolius Chalk to be used'

and as for the "it's not fair, my gym makes me use a chalkball" whinge, bloody hell, what a ponce! Like it's a big deal! Unless you are prepared to vacuum for them every night after they close, stop your complaining. It's their gym and what they say goes! I have yet to visit a gym that does not have a "no loose chalk" policy.

Correct me if I am wrong but the root of your complaint seems to be: you are waay run out and pumping to make that next big move for your big conquest over plastic, and you have trouble chalking up because you are too weak to squeeze a chalkball... what do you climb? 5.1?

Too weak to squeeze chalkball, strong enough to support your own weight?

This post has to be a troll, no-one can be that dumb!

danpayne

Oct 13, 2004, 8:18 AM
Post #24 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The big key is the lungs. A lot of gyms don't ban all loose chalk, just Metolius chalk. Their secret additive is a silica derivative (like in those drying packets that come with computer hardware), which is a carcinogen. Like was said, those gyms that ban all loose chalk have a poor ventilation system to get rid of the chalk dust. However, before you complain about having to use a chalk ball when you go to the gym, remember that chalk is banned entirely at places like Garden of the Gods (Colorado), Devil's Lake (Wisconsin), other access sensitive areas. If you can't climb without chalk, maybe you need to become a better climber.

/still warms down wearing approach shoes and eschewing chalk

Umm, metolious actually adds an ingredient that is used in most soft serv ice-cream mixes, you can email them about that. Plus, they moisten their chalk slightly, Like a partially wet sponge, it absorbs better. I love my metolious super chalk, and haven't gotten cancer yet! :D :D :D

Oh, and if you don't like chalk balls, tell the owner/manager you are changing gyms, if he doesn't care, then do it. (if this is practical)

natrajk

Oct 13, 2004, 10:47 AM
Post #25 of 30 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can make your own chalk ball of nylon socks. Just fill it with chalk and tie a knot on it to close it. Works a lot better than normal chalk balls ( you actually get chalk on your hands!!) and you can refill it for almost no cost. After trying normall chalk balls, putting chalk directly in the bag and this, I have found that it is actually better than chalk directly in the bag.

Nylon comes in many different thicknesses, just find something not to thin and not to thick. After you have used on a couple of routes more chalk will go through the sock.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook