RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

muffheadphish

May 26, 2002, 2:57 AM
Post #1 of 4 (970 views)
Shortcut

Phoenix For a Day. Where to BOULDER?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy all,

As you may have already read in my Pinnacle Peak reply, I am going to be in the Pheonix, partocularly Scottsadale, area this weekend (May 31-June 2). Since I won't be bringing much gear beyond my shoes and chalk, I was looking for some good bouldering in the area, either at the posted locales on the site or otherwise, though I would need directions. Somethings with clear landings might be nice without my pad (call me soft if you will), but more importantly for my inept younger brother, and moreso for my younger cousins who want to climb but are not being allowed to climb since I am apparently not experienced enough and/or not to be trusted. And to think, I'm their godson. No respect!! Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Hope to maybe see you out there. I should be climbing Sunday, and maybe Friday at the Sedona boulders. Speaking of which, how's the weather currently, and likewise, the best time to climb.

Climb on,
Matt

slip

May 26, 2002, 5:31 AM
Post #2 of 4 (970 views)
Shortcut

Phoenix For a Day. Where to BOULDER? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The weather in Phoenix is getting hot, already in the low to mid 100s. Now is the time to start heading to the cooler areas in the state, such as Flagstaff and Prescott. HOWEVER, because of drought and dryness and servere fire danger, most of the National Forests around these towns are closed to any activity.

I am not sure if Queen Creek is closed or not, but Queen Creek Canyon, home of the Phoenix Bouldering Contest, has tons of bouldering. It will still probably be in the 90s there (typically 10 degrees colder than Phoenix. If you go, look for shade and you may do ok. Information about Queen Creek can be found at http://www.arizonabouldering.com (look under topos for Oak Flats). There is also a guide at http://www.drtopo.com . Queen Creek is about an hour and 15 mins from Phoenix.

If you are looking for bouldering even closer there, there is Camelback Mtn and Beardsley Boulder Pile actually in Phoenix. Both aren't that great of destination places but should fill some of your climbing hunger. It will be hot here. You may want to climb early in the morning or right before the sun sets.

I'm not sure about the Sedona Boulders, but it is possible that they are closed too. The weather in Sedona will be nice for you.

Sorry for all the bad news. I'm not to happy about it either.

[ This Message was edited by: slip on 2002-05-25 22:33 ]

muffheadphish

May 26, 2002, 9:01 PM
Post #3 of 4 (970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that does sound rather bleak, but very helpful as well. Thanks for all the information.

Climb on,
Matt

crackaddict

May 28, 2002, 10:05 PM
Post #4 of 4 (970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I agree with what slip said.
For close and not to far off the ground Camelback is it.
Lots of traverse routes. But the rock sucks and it can get hot.

By far Queen Creek bouldering is your best bet.
Tons of bouldering and a little cooler.
Plus you can always find good shade.
PM me if you need a ride or want to climb I have a pad and extra gear if you want to climb. Plus I climb out there during the week. Sorry I did not post this sooner but I was climbing at Indian Creek this last weekend.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook