Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

icarus_burned

Oct 24, 2004, 9:10 PM
Post #1 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Fitness Balls
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

as in the big inflatable ones, are the cats pyjamas for core workouts......i got a baptism of fire with em when i "insulted" a female personal trainer in my gym, man was me and my abs sorry after 10 mins. anyone know any original and or funky exercises on them besides the basic ones from the leaflet?

xcmntgeek

Oct 25, 2004, 2:55 AM
Post #2 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fitness Balls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I've been doing balance work on them for a couple years for mountain biking.

Start off with kneeling on the ball. Once you can do that proficiently have someone throw medicine balls at you and catch them and throw them back. Add oblique twists, ect. Try standing next.

There is a lot of other cool stuff you can do with them. Try only putting one leg on the ground while doing crunches, twists, back raises. Get creative, I try to come up with a new workout on them every 2 weeks. I can't give away all my secrets though, otherwise there would be a million other 5.9 climbers, oh wait....

nthusiastj

Oct 25, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #3 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm fit, but keep my balls out of this!

overlord

Oct 25, 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #4 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man, i got tho get one of these. they sound like a safe and good excercise.

Partner j_ung

Oct 25, 2004, 2:40 PM
Post #5 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those things are the poop. I don't feel like I had a workout unless I spent ten minutes with one.

icarus_burned

Oct 26, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you dont feel a decent burn in less than 10 minutes your not doin something right in my opinion, for example with crunches/sit-ups, i could do about 150 lying on the floor before i felt a burn, on a fit-ball i do about 30 and i start to feel it, so for me, they are the biz, ...........look out ladies on the beach and anywhere else you can take your top off without getting locked up, i will be showing of my results..................i really am shallow,

deleted
Deleted

Oct 26, 2004, 8:12 PM
Post #7 of 30 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can't have fitness without balls can you? Come on.

paulraphael

Oct 26, 2004, 8:43 PM
Post #8 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's all true. I was in physical therapy last summer for a shoulder injury. my therapist had a hard time making me sweat with most of her tricks, but I when I saw her coming my way with the big red beach ball I knew I was in for a world of hurt. Made a strong impression ... I'm thinking of getting one.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 26, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #9 of 30 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got one I'm bouncing on it as I write hahahha weeee I'm sooo in shappe now yyyyyeeeeeahhhh!

icarus_burned

Oct 26, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #10 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah my introduction (and following three days of having to be helped out of chairs) came in my local gym, i was there doin my crunches like any other guy (doin 200-300 just wastes time when you think about it) when a young, lithe and knowledgable lass came over and told me about them. my soon to be crushed ego-centric reply was "its only women who use them in aerobics classes n stuff, dont be daft"...........she then bet me 1 months free membership that i couldnt do 10 reps of 6 different abdominal exercises without stopping.........i think thats only 60 reps, i can blast 300 crunches, no bother.................24 and a 1/2 reps in, i was sweating, red in the face, in absolute agony and on the verge of crying.........so i went straight out and bought one for home use.........and the young lassie trainer is now my best bud............a lovely story eh?

hyhuu

Oct 27, 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #11 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyobe have a list of recommended exercises for these fitness ball and where can I find the instructions for them? Thanks.

corpse

Oct 27, 2004, 1:21 PM
Post #12 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will add to my success story with them.. I have one that I bought after using it in my physical therapy.. Simple crunches are my most common exercise on it.. Another one I do, is to start off in a crunch position, except where the ball is under middle of my back (during crunches it should be under the lower part of your back), I keep my body straight from my shoulders to my knees.. And then slowly raise one leg so it's straight, and slowly lower it back down, switch legs, repeat 10 times each leg for a full rep.. Do 2 reps.

granite_grrl

Oct 27, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #13 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah my introduction (and following three days of having to be helped out of chairs) came in my local gym, i was there doin my crunches like any other guy (doin 200-300 just wastes time when you think about it) when a young, lithe and knowledgable lass came over and told me about them. my soon to be crushed ego-centric reply was "its only women who use them in aerobics classes n stuff, dont be daft"...........she then bet me 1 months free membership that i couldnt do 10 reps of 6 different abdominal exercises without stopping.........i think thats only 60 reps, i can blast 300 crunches, no bother.................24 and a 1/2 reps in, i was sweating, red in the face, in absolute agony and on the verge of crying.........so i went straight out and bought one for home use.........and the young lassie trainer is now my best bud............a lovely story eh?

Awwww, your story makes me all weepy.

I find the only way I can have good formation doing crunches is on these balls, doing em on the floor makes my back hurt. I took an intro pilates class that used these balls a lot, my description of any would probably leave you all scratching your heads trying to figure out what I mean, so I suggest you search the internet for pilates work outs.

icarus_burned

Oct 27, 2004, 3:03 PM
Post #14 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on the subject of new excercises i found the sadists ab exercise after a wee search or 2. its lying on the ball with it just below your shoulder blades, grabbing something solid behind your head and "WITH STRAIGHT LEGS" lift them up to about 90 or so degrees and lower again to about 6 inches from the floor. do very slowly and for added resistance and incorperation of the hip abductors (the pulling in muscles if im wrong with the name) pich a light dumbell between the ankles..........enjoy

sirtoots

Oct 30, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #15 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True. Leg raises are brutal on these things. They also make a lovely desk chair.

Partner coldclimb

Oct 30, 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #16 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course it's obvious that you can work yourself out with a big ball like that, but can you really work yourself out better than without?

I dunno, I'm just ALWAYS skeptical about any one workout system that claims that in order to get a REAL workout, you must use it. Weight benches, Bowflex, rubber stretchy thingies, giant balls.... all will give you a good training system that works, but you can always excercise the same muscles without them, and I'm a dirtbag who doesn't like spending money on things I don't need. ;)

Not dissing on the big balls though, I do find them fun to work with. Just wondering if they give you anything that can't be gotten without them?

sirtoots

Oct 30, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #17 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm inclined to think they do work better than the floor. I've noticed quite a bit of improvement in my core strength since I got one.

pushsendnorcal

Oct 31, 2004, 1:20 AM
Post #18 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those balls only work if your previous abdominal training involved crunches and leg lifts.

Which tells you how much time these people have wasted with their previous training routines

icarus_burned

Oct 31, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #19 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Those balls only work if your previous abdominal training involved crunches and leg lifts.

Which tells you how much time these people have wasted with their previous training routines

that was the big thing for me, just cutting down on the time and im sure cutting out a lot of wearin on some joints somewhere along the line (and i dont mean the apres workout variety of joints)

johnbarleycorn

Oct 31, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #20 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

from those of us that are "wasting our time", what exactly should we be doing to strengthen our core?

jb

icarus_burned

Oct 31, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #21 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont think the point was that doing crunches was "a waste of time" i think it was more doing the massive volume of crunches needed to ahve an affect on someone used to doing such exercises could be trimmed substancially (SP?) by adopting some new practices or some new equipment.

johnbarleycorn

Oct 31, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #22 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

icarus_burned - i understand what pushsendnorcal was saying - i didn't think he/she was being a smartass - but i'm one of the one's wasting my time because i feel a burn for about 2 minutes but it just fades away. i never really feel like i've worked my abs. i've got a ball and i can do crunches on it, but i can't get the leg lift exercise to work. i just pull over the table i'm holding onto. anyway, still would like to know a better way. thanks.

jb

Partner eyecannon

Oct 31, 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #23 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a video I made featuring one of those balls. It has absolutely nothing to do with exercise, but alot to do with FUN FUN FUN.

http://video.eyecannon.com/beachballerz.avi

It's XviD video with Ogg sound, so you may need to acquire the proper codecs.

icarus_burned

Nov 2, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #24 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

simple tip on the leg raises, dont hold the table, hold something heavier, more solid etc, i find part of my stair bannisters works best

keinangst

Nov 2, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #25 of 30 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those things are cool for stretching and for ab work. But my view of ab work is that if you're doing a real workout during the week, especially if you climb once or twice, then targeted ab work is a waste of time. Focus on other activities that require core stabilization and you'll have a great ab foundation in no time.

However, if you just do a circuit on all machines, you recruit far less stabilizers--and targeted ab work will probably help you a lot. I'm just not a fan of piecing your strength training together one part at a time. That's for bodybuilders.

Also, I see a lot of people use Swiss balls for things like bench press and shoulder press. This is not a good idea if you're doing any level of challenging weight. Those activities require a stabile platform under you to avoid injury. A lady toning with a couple of 5-pounders is a lot different than a guy lifting a few reps for strength.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook