RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

travelin_light

Oct 28, 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1659 views)
Shortcut

heel fracture from bouldering.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone ever fracture thier heel or get an evulsion fracture to be specific? got mine two weeks ago bouldering at J-Tree. at the top of Flight Attendant (Ryan Campground) i peeled and came down. my right foot hit the pad and my left missed.....damn. i am slowing moving around without my crutches and i am wearing normal shoes as my doctor said would be OK provided that i felt up to it. i am wondering how long other people have waited before they started climbing again or before they felt normal. :?:

maracas

Oct 28, 2004, 3:15 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Re: heel fracture from bouldering. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not know what evulsion is, but I fissured my heel. I was in a half cast for 15 days, no cast on crutches 7, 2 weeks limping, and climbing again past week 5. But, it was a fissure, nothing really serious. The first route after really hurts, but somehow, after two or three, you are almost OK.

I hope you are back soon.

Partner crgwhe

Oct 29, 2004, 1:18 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a fall about 15 feet from an overhang at my local health club climbing wall. My belayer didn't catch my fall quick enough and burned his hand. I landed hard directly on my heels and stuck it like a gymnast due to the rope catching just befoer I hit. This was on a hard basket ball court floor. Broke both my heels.
No cast but was on crutches for about 4 months. I continued to work and learned how to walk without allowing my heels to touch the ground. It is now 9 months latter and I am convinced I will have heel problems/heel spurs for the rest of my life. I continued to climb only after a week off without any pain whatsoever while on the rock. Walking to the rock was a difficult and painfull. I can ride my mountain bike with clipless pedadls without any pain. Walking can be a problem in the mornings. I can get around normally but a day of working ususlly causes some pain/discomfort in the evenings. A round of basketball or squash, for get it.
I use arch support inserts in most of my shoes which helps. Heel pads just made things worse. There is a medical procedjure that can break up heel spurs caused by heel fractures but is isn't perminate and I think I will just deal with the discomfort for the rest of my life.
Maby I am just getting old (37 this month) but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Good luck on your recovery.

fjclimbsrocks

Oct 29, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, sorry to hear about your heel. I broke my big toe (in a non climbing accident) a few months back, which put climbing on hold pretty quick. When I first started climbing again about 4 weeks later, I wore a really old, loose climbing shoe on the bad foot and my regular shoe on my good foot. I didn't climb anything very hard until 6 weeks had passed, but it was great to be back on the rock. Since you're bouldering, and risk falling onto your feet again, I would wear a sneaker on your bad foot for a while. No doubt it will be awful, and you won't be able to climb anywhere close to your best, but you should be able to stay in moderate shape, and keep your heel padded until it's ready to go all out again. Good luck healing.
~Jared

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook