RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tammarak

Oct 29, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #1 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Joshua Tree Inquiry?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on comming to Josh in the next month but can't decide whether to drive or bus it? I'll be coming from Seatle 2000 miles+ and I think the cost of gas would do us in - the bus on the other hand is relatively cheap <100 dollars. I guess my question is - do you think it would be practical to get around over a three week period without a car? Ideally we'd love to do the moderate classics as well as a hardy dose of bouldering. How accessable are the routes and amenities from Hidden Valley and or other popular campgrounds?

tarzan420

Oct 29, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #2 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Re: Joshua Tree Inquiry? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there's plenty of climbing within a 5 minute walk of HVCG, so that won't be a problem.

i posed a similar question, and plenty of folks said it would be fine without a car (was actually flying in). however, I'm glad I rented a car, because a) never was able to get into HVCG, had to stay out at Jumbo. b) Having to rely on other folks with cars to get water (or hike 10+ miles each way to the entrance) doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

ymmv.

curt

Oct 29, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will want to have a car there--or you will be hating life.

Curt

jdouble

Oct 29, 2004, 8:20 PM
Post #4 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Listen to Curt.

t-dog
Deleted

Oct 29, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #5 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

having a car in J-Tree is very useful and convenient, but it is possible to do without, although only if you can get a site in HVCG, otherwise you won't be having as much fun.

asandh

Oct 29, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #6 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

alpnclmbr1

Oct 29, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #7 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lot's of hardcore roadtrippers exist without cars at j-tree now. It pretty much comes down to being able to put up with the downside. Get a site in HVCG and exchange parking for rides and water trips. It is even easier to worm your way into HVCG if you are carless.

Personally, I would have a hard time without a car, but I have done it in the past.

climbsomething

Oct 29, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #8 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How would you intend to get to the park proper from the bus stop? (Palm Springs, Indio, no matter- kind of a sucky walk :shock: )

fredbob

Oct 29, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #9 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpnclmbr1 sums it up pretty well. It is possible, but more work.

But without a car, you can more easily avoid the 14 day camping limit (you said 3 weeks). If you do get stuck (at least initially) outside HVCG, motor home type people are good sources for emergency water (they carry tons of the stuff).

Climbers can be found in most campgrounds (particulaly on weekends) and if you are staying for more than a few days, you will definitely worm your way into a nice site in HVCG.

You will certainly earn kudos for saving resources by busing rather than driving. But in the age of Hummers, such behavior goes un-noticed if not scorned.

esoteric1

Oct 29, 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #10 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive managed to do it carless in josh. i did have a support team coming in regularly though. It will make you make friends relativly quickly, and its not hard to get back into town if need be, for food and whatnot, lemme tell you. THE WALK IS HELL especially if it means missing out on a valued day of climbing. you would think more people would pick up hitch hikers in a national park, but...it seems people dont really like to do that these days for some reason, especially southern californians. that being said, if i had the money, i would rent a car if i was you. theres a place right outside of the enterance of josh that will deliver groceries to your site i believe, but being broke and having no car will force you to be smart about town trips, it will defenitly be an experience whatever you decide.
hope this has helped
mark

oldskool

Oct 30, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #11 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skip tha car...i would totally give you rides into town, as i am sure many other climbers would...but then again, i still pick up hitchhikers. good luck

stizrizzo

Oct 30, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #12 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Totally doable without a car!

I think that most of the folks who replied are just USED TO doing J-Tree with a car.

I've done j-tree without a car numerous times. If you can get a ride from the bus stop into the park, you're golden. Just make sure you pick up beer (to ensure that you can "squat" on someone's HVCG site) on the way.

As for supplies, just make friends around the campground, and let people know that you'd appreciate going along on a run to town.

As for the climbing, since you've never climbed at JT before, there is easily 3 weeks of GOOD climbs within a mile or 2 of hvcg. Likewise, you can also thumb (or walk) to wonderland. I personally prefer the no car experience (unless you have a specific objective that is far away, and near no other climbs).

That said, I'd also commend people who shun our bullshit auto-centric culture.

Also, as your departure nears, Try to contact some LA folks, who might be able to shuttle you to J-tree if they are going.

Good luck.

prest_one

Oct 30, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #13 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for the climbing, since you've never climbed at JT before, there is easily 3 weeks of GOOD climbs within a mile or 2 of hvcg. .

Three weeks hmm maybe but i dont think so, i went there for four days and that was enough my tips were totally blown out by the end of the third day. The rock in Joshua tree is so much different than anything youll find in Washington and your fingertips arent going to be used to it.

jowanky

Oct 30, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #14 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally have always gone in a car. The park is getting more and more popular so its hard to find camp grounds. If your finger tips get worn just do some crack climbs, there are plenty of cracks around. I went to J tree last week and we took a large van with a futon inside and just bummed parking spots.

moof

Oct 30, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #15 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are enough sympathetic grovelers that will more than welcome you into a HVCG site if you ask. Not having a car makes you a tiny burden as long as you aren't an ass. Hitching from HVCG is pretty easy, just hang around good campfires and you'll have good luck bumming rides for the next morning. Don't be a wanker, chip in for gas even if they refuse to accept it.

If you need to hitch into the park hang out at Coyote Corner where anyone and everyone stops for free water. Rides are easily obtained. We picked up one girl there who needed to hit the grocery store and get a ride back into the park, then twisted her arm into sharing our boxes of ice cream sandwiches. We were kind of disappointed, she only ate two and we had to actually walk a ways to give the rest away when we got back to camp.

Partner beanricecheese

Oct 31, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #16 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No Car means: Get a camp spot at the place you want to climb. Bring all the shit you need for the duration of the trip. Of course, you could always hitch rides from people but having a car would be worth it. You should be able to rent a car for cheap... 25 years old or more, your taking $25-$40 bucks a day. Under 25: $35-$65 a day. Of course, I have no idea where to rent a car around there but look it up on the internet. I recommend Enterprise, I am 22 and got a economy (Ford Focus) for $35 a day. Good deal.

James

enjoimx

Oct 31, 2004, 3:54 AM
Post #17 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me elaborate on the "walk" from HVCG to the entrance of the park. First off, the entrance to the park is still quite a little "walk" into the actual town. And the grocery store is another mile down the highway. Anyway, I, foolishly, tried to ride my bike to the grocery store one day. It was a pretty nice ride going TO the entrtance, all downhill. For some reason, i failed to realize that soon, i indeed would be riding BACK UP this road. So when i turned around to come home, i faced a 10 mile ride mainly sloping uphill, and by then the wind had started up. It was a horrible ride. I was almost throwing up when i got back. Maybe im just a wuss.

But i would recommend a car, unless your really outgoing and make friends easily.

tammarak

Nov 1, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #18 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the feed back! A lot of mixed opinions which makes it harder... but this was definitely the kind of info I was looking for. I'm thinking maybe I should drive down now, as i hear the weather in southern Utah is FINE too. Maybe I'll be able to hit a few other places on the way down this way as well. Thanks again for the responses.
Jordon

thegreytradster

Nov 2, 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #19 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh will fry your tips so if you drive you can hit Red Rocks also. the most finger frendly rock in NA. There's a shortcut described in the Swain RR Select guide that makes for a four hour rest day drive. Have a good map if you do this! Hit Mitchell Caverns for a little sight seeing on the way. Worth an hour or two to fill out the day.

v10gripper

Nov 2, 2004, 7:40 AM
Post #20 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im posting to an above comment which said it is easier to blow off the 14 day limit without a car, i KNOW for a FACT that it does not make it any easier the rangers have really cracked down on it, they are getting smart to our climber ways. be careful following that advice cuz if you get bumped out of the park when your 14 day limit is up and you dont have a car you'll be pretty screwed!

oldskool

Nov 4, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #21 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

V10Gripper...joined the dark side, didnt you?

gnat

Nov 4, 2004, 8:06 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
V10Gripper...joined the dark side, didnt you?

he is oft to be found in one of those ranger like uniforms (in the ranger booth at the west entrance). [judging from his profile, the ability to spell or punctuate must not be prerequisites to employment with a federal agency.]

but, heed what he says...under an obscure provision of the patriot act, the nps is making and then keeping photo scans of every visitor (latest recognition software). also, hdvc is under constant satellite surveillance.

lazygirl

Nov 4, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #23 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the rangers tell you to leave after 14 days you just need to hide better.

It is easier to get by at Hidden Valley without a car and not get tooled.

The rangers see your car all the time, you can walk away before they see your face. They'll put a note on your car telling you to leave, but that just means your car needs to leave. They kick your car out first. If that happens just park it in the pit (any J-Tree local will be able to show you the location), now you just need to hide your face which is easy.

v10gripper is right in saying the rangers have cracked compaired to last year at this time but there are plenty of people who spend months at a time living in that campground and some who live there the whole season. Just find the people who know whats up, whether you choose to bring your car or not, and they'll help you out.

Last year my boyfriend left his car in HVCG for three months before it got kicked out. Anything is possible.

esoteric1

Nov 5, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #24 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

emily....is that you?
is your bf that guy from florida? uhm. whats his name?
ps, thanks for the beer cozy if it is in fact you.
mark

gnat

Nov 10, 2004, 4:15 PM
Post #25 of 25 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

BABY TOOL Re: I'm Alive!!! (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:13:57 11/10/2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gnat will you just die or go away! who the hell are you anyway? you know me or so it would seem at least you've seen me at the west entrance or so you say.

here is the link: http://joshuatreeclimb.com/...limb/posts/7182.html

cross website whining................too funny!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook