Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wyattwyattwyatt

Oct 30, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #1 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

static vs. dynamic exercises for building strength
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have many times seen it stated that a dynamic exercise for improving forearm strength will do very little for your climbing because in climbing your fingers and forearms are static (they just grip a hold without moving).

this doesnt seem like it makes all that much sense to me. if one wants to strengthen their pectorals or their biceps, they would train with a dynamic motion (using benchpress or curls, respectively) in order to achieve the greatest gains in muscle mass and strength. the strength gains from these exercises would certainly carry over to static applications; that is, after the gains in mass and strength, it would be much easier to hold a weighted benchpress bar or curl bar in a static position.

so why should it be different if you're training for increased forearm strength? yes, gripping a climbing hold is static, but it seems like its easier to make strength gains with a dynamic exercise and, as in the above example, the strength carries over.

the only explanation that comes to my mind is that it is not just the strength of the forearm muscles that is important, but also the strength of the finger tendons and ligaments, which perhaps are strengthened more effectively using static exercises...?

anybody have any answers for me?

saskclimber

Oct 30, 2004, 2:28 AM
Post #2 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Re: static vs. dynamic exercises for building strength [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I had to read the question a couple times to understand exactly what you were asking.
You would see strength gains with static exercise, but it would be almost exclusively to specific dimension you were grabbing (in order to do a static exercise for this, you just hold something with your hand and squeeze it as hard as you can). This is not very functional for climbing though. Holds come in a multitude of sizes and shapes which it would be very impracitical to train for. Also, you cannot train as long doing static exercises because during an exercise of this type blood flow is almost completely occluded depending on the intensity of the contraction (large build up of lactic acid in very short time period, which would however help to train your forearms to have a greater tolerance for lactic acid). You normally wouldnt hold a contraction this hard for this long while climbing would you? Whereas dynamic contractions allow more blood flow (to allow you to work out longer), and also stretch/shorten the muscle fibers to allow for minute microtears to occur so that hypertrophy can eventually result from this. In other words, dynamic would be preferable for climbing. The thing that I found works best is one of those dense foam "stress balls". They can be squeezed with a variety of finger positions like crimps, pockets, slopers... Those grip trainers dont work very good for this reason. They only allow for 1 or 2 different variations. Im not sure if this answers your question, so get back to me if you have any more.

greyicewater

Oct 30, 2004, 2:31 AM
Post #3 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i don't know how much this answers your question, but when you're doing a dynamic move your moving over a bigger space of the wall, which actually isn't building your forearms and fingers because of the less use in them, but you're putting all of your weight into you biceps and shoulders. that's why static moves improve your forearms and fingers, because you're using more of the wall and not relaying on your biceps or shoulders. so you kind of answered your own question. i'm sorry if this didn't help, or if it even answered your question.

wyattwyattwyatt

Nov 1, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #4 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry, let me be a little more clear with my terms -- maybe i'm using the wrong words:

a static exercise would be something like hanging from a fingerboard. no motion involved. or "locking off" on a chinup bar and holding yourself in one position. again, no motion.

a dynamic exercise would be doing finger rolls with a bar. repetitive motion. or typical bench pressing or curling. again, repetive motions.

now on to my question: i've often heard it said that static exercises (ie fingerboard hangs) are far superior to dynamic exercises for building strength for climbing. do u think this is true? and why?

hyhuu

Nov 1, 2004, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not the size of the muscle (unless you have none to start with) but the ability to recruit them. Go get a couple books on sport physiology and start reading. Good luck.

wyattwyattwyatt

Nov 1, 2004, 4:19 PM
Post #6 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's not the size of the muscle (unless you have none to start with) but the ability to recruit them. .

thanks for the reply. maybe u could explain a bit more?

if the size of the muscles isnt relevant, how do u explain the high correlation between an increase in muscle strength and an increase in size? i have trained with weights for many years on my own and also as part of a collegiate wrestling program, and that statement doesnt seem to fit with my experience. aside from a quick initial gain in strength that is largely due to an increase in coordination, as your muscles get stronger, they get bigger. i've never seen someone with smaller muscles who is in fact much stronger than someone with larger muscles.

or is your statement only relevant to fingerboard exercises?

sidepull

Nov 1, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #7 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it seems to me that one of the problems here is the logic that the tendons that are developed to produce finger strength follow the same process as muscles which is not the case.

Second, when you're talking about dynamic finger strength exercises are you talking about say, holding a hold open handed and then using your fingers to pull into a crimp? Or campusing? Don't do the first - you'll be hurt long before it could help you.

Static work takes a lot of patience because you are slowly building the tendon which takes a lot more time than muscle building. Hangboarding will improve your grip strength while campusing will improve your contact strength - your ability to latch holds at speed. You should should check the following sites and then refine your question a bit:

http://www.nicros.com/New%20Training%20Center/Finger%20Training%20Theory.shtml

http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=208

robmcc

Nov 1, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #8 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
It's not the size of the muscle (unless you have none to start with) but the ability to recruit them. .

The explanation was the next sentence. Get some sports physiology books.

In brief, a muscle is made up of lots of fibers. Generally, only a fraction of those fibers are contracting at once. You can make the fibers stronger, or you can use more of them. Once upon a time, I was quite strong, but didn't look it. No bulk to speak of. How? High recruitment. If you pull on something, maybe only 30% of your muscle is pitching in. If you get 50% to play, you'll be stronger but not heavier. This is a good thing, unless you're just in it for the look.

Rob

weng

Nov 1, 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #9 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi i think i can share my knowledge of recruitment of muscle with regards to what "hyhuu" has mentioned.

Think recruitment is most of the time referring to the amount of time needed to recruit a certain muscle to its maximise capabilities. Its different to how powerful your muscles are. Your muscle can be powerful but if you can't recruit fast enough it will not be useful at all(for dynamic moves).

Recall times when you dyno and fail to held on to a hold that you can normally hold if you did the move static. That is because you can recruit fast enough, if given time(when u went static) to recruit you will be able to held on to the hold better.

Thus training has to be done for recruitment to complement your power, and example of training will be doing campussing. But do take care to do start slow as its very prone to injuries. :nono:

[violet]Cheers! Hope it helps!! [/violet]:twisted:

robmcc

Nov 1, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #10 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Think recruitment is most of the time referring to the amount of time needed to recruit a certain muscle to its maximise capabilities. Its different to how powerful your muscles are. Your muscle can be powerful but if you can't recruit fast enough it will not be useful at all(for dynamic moves).

That's contact strength. Recruitment is something else entirely.

Rob

pushsendnorcal

Nov 1, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #11 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exercises that involve dynamic motion WILL NOT STRENGTHEN the forearm unit (fingers, flexors, extensors and muscle) when involved in climbing. Note that climbing uses only two (deadhang and pinch) of the four grip strengths, the other two grip strengths (crush and bending) can be strengthened by dynamic exercises.

Here is the best explanation I can give to you about why.

In climbing the fingers must exert X amount of force onto a hold. That force is always in a locked position, ie static contraction. Think about it, could you possibly hold onto a grip if your fingers were not in a locked position. This is the first reason that training your fingers using static exercises has the greatest carry over effect when compared to dynamic exercises.

The second reason is that all exercises that use dynamic motion for your forearms are designed to train the two grip strengths that climbing doesn't utilize. Those, again are the crush and bending grip. Those exercises are the gripper machine and bending nails, and steel rods. You mentioned forearm curls, which in another tread, I gave a long explanation with studies showing that forearm curls (using dumbell and barbell) strengthen the stabilization of the wrists much more than they do the forearm muscle. Please don't replay back with saying that Eric Horst says it works. He is wrong in that area.

People, interested in stronger fingers/forearm, always ask how to get stronger in that field, like there is some miracle training secret. There isn't. To get stronger fingers, start deadhanging. I would go in detail, but do some research.

hyhuu

Nov 1, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #12 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not an expert on physiology that's why I suggest reading a book. But I'll try to clarify my understanding anyway: Climbing is complex and it's about strength to weight ratio. The large muscles are never the limiting factor. It's the coordination and recruiment of many different muscles in the body, often the smaller ones. Everyone, well most, have a prefer arm that is stronger than the other but nobody ever said that their weaker arm is the reason they can't do a problem or a climb a route. A book I recommend is Performance Climbing. Good luck.

Hung

In reply to:
In reply to:

if the size of the muscles isnt relevant, how do u explain the high correlation between an increase in muscle strength and an increase in size? i have trained with weights for many years on my own and also as part of a collegiate wrestling program, and that statement doesnt seem to fit with my experience. aside from a quick initial gain in strength that is largely due to an increase in coordination, as your muscles get stronger, they get bigger. i've never seen someone with smaller muscles who is in fact much stronger than someone with larger muscles.

or is your statement only relevant to fingerboard exercises?

wyattwyattwyatt

Nov 1, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #13 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The second reason is that all exercises that use dynamic motion for your forearms are designed to train the two grip strengths that climbing doesn't utilize. Those, again are the crush and bending grip. Those exercises are the gripper machine and bending nails, and steel rods. You mentioned forearm curls, which in another tread, I gave a long explanation with studies showing that forearm curls (using dumbell and barbell) strengthen the stabilization of the wrists much more than they do the forearm muscle. Please don't replay back with saying that Eric Horst says it works. He is wrong in that area.

ok. i see what u're saying. that makes sense.

In reply to:
In climbing the fingers must exert X amount of force onto a hold. That force is always in a locked position, ie static contraction. Think about it, could you possibly hold onto a grip if your fingers were not in a locked position. This is the first reason that training your fingers using static exercises has the greatest carry over effect when compared to dynamic exercises.

i see what u are saying here also, but would u say then that the best way to train for any static contraction is by a static exercise? or just in the specific case of training fingers?

suppose i wanted to increase my ability to crouch in a squatting position with a weighted bar on my shoulders without moving (static postion). would it be best to just practice doing that motionless squat? or would it be more effective to do typical dynamic squat excersises? i havent tried this, but i suspect it might be the latter.

thanks for the answers -- well written and informative.

ylofvr

Nov 1, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #14 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no world class climber, but I learned how muscles work in medical school.

In terms of the 4 types of grip strength, these are categorical differences not physiological differences. The same goes for static and dynamic strength. All it comes down to is fibers of tissue that contract when given a neurologic signal. The contractions can flex or extend the fingers and hand in any combination. The biochemistry and the physiology is identical whether the load exerted against is moving or not.

The reason trainers use free weights over the dated isometric exercises is that resistance with motion recruits more fibers. The more you recruit the more that experience micro-trauma. The more fibers damaged, the more hypertrophy occurs.

In theory dynamic exercises are more useful - in practice I do both because I can't climb more than 1-2 times/week.

wyattwyattwyatt

Nov 1, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #15 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Once upon a time, I was quite strong, but didn't look it. No bulk to speak of. How? High recruitment. If you pull on something, maybe only 30% of your muscle is pitching in. If you get 50% to play, you'll be stronger but not heavier. This is a good thing, unless you're just in it for the look.

Rob
thanks for the reply and good explanation of muscle fiber recruitment.

i said that muscular size is a main factor in muscular strength. i didnt say its the only factor.

also, the fact that u were "quite strong but didnt look it" may have been more a result of having a light body weight, and thus a high strength to weight ratio. but certainly if your muscles had been bigger, u would have been stronger. just look at athletes in different sports: tennis players have one overdeveloped forearm. soccer players have big thighs. wrestlers have wide backs and thick necks. cleary there is a very high correlation between muscular size and strength.

i dont think that weight gain as a result of bigger muscles is such a bad thing. as john long states in How to Rockclimb, the small increase is weight is more than compensated by a much greater percentage increase in strength.

icarus_burned

Nov 1, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #16 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dunno about this bigger muscle = stronger muscle type thing, havent you ever seen that wee toaty sinewy guy who is may stronger than he looks like he should be?

wyattwyattwyatt

Nov 1, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #17 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i dunno about this bigger muscle = stronger muscle type thing, havent you ever seen that wee toaty sinewy guy who is may stronger than he looks like he should be?

ha ha. yes, i WAS that guy all through high school. i looked real tiny (wrestled at 105 pounds as a senior) but i was stronger than u would think because i didnt have any fat to speak of -- what was there was mostly muscle. who knows, maybe i was able to recruit more muscle fibers when i exerted myself too. but when i got to college, i started lifting weights pretty seriously and guess what happened? i got a lot stronger, and as that happened, my muscles got a lot bigger.

fluxus

Nov 2, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #18 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread has had some particularly odd posts and a lot of mis-information. Reading any undergraduate sports physiology text would go a long way to corrrecting a lot of what has been posted here.

In reply to:
All it comes down to is fibers of tissue that contract when given a neurologic signal. The contractions can flex or extend the fingers and hand in any combination. The biochemistry and the physiology is identical whether the load exerted against is moving or not.

you make it sound so simple but the climbing specific research does not back you up on this. Regardless of what you learned at med school there are important differences between building strength using isotonic and isometric contractions.

In reply to:
The reason trainers use free weights over the dated isometric exercises is that resistance with motion recruits more fibers. The more you recruit the more that experience micro-trauma. The more fibers damaged, the more hypertrophy occurs.

In theory dynamic exercises are more useful - in practice I do both because I can't climb more than 1-2 times/week.

Isometric exercises are not "dated" what a strange term to use. Athelets from different sports use different types of exercises based on the demands of the performance they are training for. The only theory that thinks dynamic exercises are more useful for building forearm strength for climbing is one that does not understand how the muscles are asked to perform in climbing.

I don't mean to harsh on you, but you are pretty far from the mark. Go back and re-read some applied kinesiology and physiology as well as some of the climbing specific research and see if you still think the same way.

Of course all of this misses the fact that the first post was put up by some one who has only been climbing for a year and a half! There is no way in hell that someone with this little experience should even be thinking about supplemental training.

peace.

fracture

Nov 2, 2004, 4:02 AM
Post #19 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Of course all of this misses the fact that the first post was put up by some one who has only been climbing for a year and a half! There is no way in hell that someone with this little experience should even be thinking about supplemental training.

Does it matter how hard he is climbing? Or is it a bad idea no matter how hard he is climbing to add additional training after a year and a half? How long do you think one should be climbing before considering that?

fluxus

Nov 2, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #20 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Does it matter how hard he is climbing? Or is it a bad idea no matter how hard he is climbing to add additional training after a year and a half? How long do you think one should be climbing before considering that?

The wording of my statement was a little misleading. Personally, in my experience the only people who should do supplemental work are climbers who:

1) Have almost no time to do real climbing.

2) Are coming back from an injury that would benefit from targeted low impact activity. An example might be someone with a bad finger injury using a hang board with their feet in bungiee cords to take off a great deal of weight. This could be done as a more controlled, lower impact activity than actual climbing, in the late stages of recovery.

But the real point I wanted to make regards the importance of motor learning. At a year and a half experience of experience a climber still has so much more motor learning to do, they should be real gun ho about doing this learning. Emphasizing physical strength and difficulty over motor learning is a huge mistake. And no i actually don't think the grade they are climbing effects this much at all. I know numerous climbers who have gotten to the 5.13 level within two years but their performance was very inconsistent at that time. It took a few additional seasons of high volume climbing for their climbing to become more stable and consistent.

peace

pushsendnorcal

Nov 2, 2004, 6:33 AM
Post #21 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love how there are a much of replays to the original question without actually answering it. Just to type more....

All answers should be towards the question of whether dynamic exercises are more effective that static exercises or the opposite concerned only with the forearm unit. Also to the person who said isometric exercises are "dated", you are a dumba$$, inform yourself by reading some books.

Here is the best I can do to break it down, using actual definitions related to climbing

Strength- The ability to exert X amount of force on a grip.

Contact Strength- The ability to exert X amount of force on a grip within a set time perimeter.
X=the amount force necessary to hold one's body on the wall.

Power- The ability to move between grips.

Using these definitions, that define the many strengths of the arm as a whole. Can someone give me a set of exercises that DIRECTLY strengthen the forearm using dynamic motion.

wyattwyattwyatt

Nov 2, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #22 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

i'm the original poster and i think thats an odd thing to say -- if u've only been climbing a year and a half then u have no business talking (sorry, THINKING) about a training related topic?

first, if you dont talk or think about an activity until it comes time to do it, then how will u know anything about it when u DO decide to pursue it further? i dont trad climb, but i read many of the trad climb threads. i think its best to be informed and knowledgable BEFORE i engage in an activity. why espouse ignorance for a climber of any level?

secondly, i would think that it would be a climber's level, rather than years of experience, that would determine when they should start supplemental training. somebody who has climbed for many years may only climb 5.8. clearly strength is not the limiting factor there. on the other hand, someone else may reach 5.13 within their first couple years climbing and find supplemental training of great benefit. people progress at very different rates.

the book,"how to climb 5.12," has sections devoted to training, all for the purpose of helping somebody crack the 5.12 barrier. do u think they are wrong to include that?

at what point do u suggest somebody begin supplemental training?

jt512

Nov 2, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #23 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

i'm the original poster and i think thats an odd thing to say -- if u've only been climbing a year and a half then u have no business talking (sorry, THINKING) about a training related topic?

first, if you dont talk or think about an activity until it comes time to do it, then how will u know anything about it when u DO decide to pursue it further?

Is it not obvious that Fluxus wasn't using the expression "shouldn't even be thinking about..." literally?

In reply to:
secondly, i would think that it would be a climber's level, rather than years of experience, that would determine when they should start supplemental training. somebody who has climbed for many years may only climb 5.8. clearly strength is not the limiting factor there. on the other hand, someone else may reach 5.13 within their first couple years climbing and find supplemental training of great benefit. people progress at very different rates.

I think Fluxus explained this already, but anyway... We've all seen climbers who are able to climb very hard climbs with very little climbing experience because they are lucky enough to be born with the right kind of strength. But often you can watch such a climber for 5 minutes and see that, although he is strong, his climbing is not "good." Regardless of what grade he is climbing, his progress is being limited by poorly developed technique. Such a climber would be better served by concentrating on developing better climbing technique than by doing supplemental training in an attempt to build even more strength.

-Jay

fluxus

Nov 2, 2004, 6:58 PM
Post #24 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm not the thought police I was using hyperbole to express a strongly held opinion.

In reply to:
the book,"how to climb 5.12," has sections devoted to training, all for the purpose of helping somebody crack the 5.12 barrier. do u think they are wrong to include that?

There is no such thing as the 5.12 barrier. "How to climb 5.12" is a clever name for a not so clever book. The author of that book has a rather anemic understanding of climbing and therefore puts most of his emphasis on taking climbers away from learning the skills, tactics, and activities that are most efficient and effictive for creating real performance gains.

In reply to:

I think I stated earlier that from my point of view supplemental training is almost never necessary. Unless you are burdened by very unusual circumstances.
At your level of experience you want to pump up the volume of climbing you do each day, do different types of activities each day, do many different types of climbing.

peace.

wyattwyattwyatt

Nov 2, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #25 of 30 (5221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'm not the thought police I was using hyperbole to express a strongly held opinion.

In reply to:

There is no such thing as the 5.12 barrier. "How to climb 5.12" is a clever name for a not so clever book. The author of that book has a rather anemic understanding of climbing and therefore puts most of his emphasis on taking climbers away from learning the skills, tactics, and activities that are most efficient and effictive for creating real performance gains.

In reply to:

I think I stated earlier that from my point of view supplemental training is almost never necessary. Unless you are burdened by very unusual circumstances.
At your level of experience you want to pump up the volume of climbing you do each day, do different types of activities each day, do many different types of climbing.

peace.

fair enough; i know where u're coming from and i agree -- i havent been putting energy into strength training yet as i suspect my technique still has a ways to go.

interesting comments about the book. had not heard that perspective yet.

anyway, my initial posting was not for the purpose of beginning a supplemental program; it basically arose from me reading forum comments about various strength building approaches, comparing them to approaches i had used in the past to train for other sports, and then asking some questions just for my own edification. i've always found strength training interesting and was curious as to the rationale behind some of the approaches that i have heard some people suggest.

thanks for your comments.................

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook