Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Eldo season?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

imcd

Nov 5, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Eldo season?  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Boulder_Area: Eldorado_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, can anyone tell me what the season is at Eldo? I could be through late febuary to mid march. If Eldo is poor at this time where else is there in Colorado (sport or trad) at this time of year?
Thanks

nthusiastj

Nov 5, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Re: Eldo season? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Eldo is doable in that time frame. I have climbed there in Feb with snow on the ground. You will probably need to wear fleece and "chase the sun". It will be fairly cold. You will have to limit your choice of routes due to the shade/sun.
Most of the other places in CO will be pretty much the same. Just choose low elevation, south facing cliffs.

jcinco

Nov 5, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is at least 45-50 degrees and the sun is out, Eldo is fine. The best crags that time of year are usually West Ridge, Rincon, Cadillac Crag, and the cragging areas on Redgarden.

The South Platte is also very nice in the winter, especially in the Cathedral Spires, though many areas have bird closures starting on 3/1.

Boulder Canyon (Blob Rock and Security Risk) and Clear Creek (Highlander Crag) both have some good winter crags.

Shelf Road is unquestionably the best winter area near the Front Range. It has lots of great south facing cliffs, and is climbable on all but the greyest winter days.

dlintz

Nov 5, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

North Table Mountain aka Golden Cliffs has plenty of South facing routes that do well on sunny days. It's certainly not the greatest climbing area in the Front Range but it's convenient.

d.

climbhoser

Nov 5, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMHO mid-winter is the most prime time to climb in Eldo, granting it's not in the middle of a blizzard. The summer's too hot and sweaty, and the Front Range winters offer some pretty awesome days. Shelf is always a good winter crag, as is the South Platte and there's some great stuff around Colorado Springs, too. See Rock & Ice #95 for a good look at Sentinel Rock.

I actually feel as though Boulder Canyon is a colder option than Eldo...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook