Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Forearm/wrist pain caused by tendon injury?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

billburning

Nov 5, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Forearm/wrist pain caused by tendon injury?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was bouldering at the gym last night and was crimping a shallow two finger pocket with my middle and ring finger when I felt a crunchy sensation and then searing pain on the palm side of my wrist and forearm close to my wrist. I fell off and then went home. Today the finger is kind of sore, but putting any weight on it causes the terrible searing pain in the same place on my wrist and forearm. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Thanks.

Bill

from_the_gym

Nov 6, 2004, 1:10 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Re: Forearm/wrist pain caused by tendon injury? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, in fact, i am typing this using only my left hand. i was climbing last night and was on a shallow two finger pocket, open hand grip, and i heard a pop. the injury is in my right hand. on the medial side, palm up, just below the rist, is a bruise that formed maybe 5 minutes after the pop sound. broken blood vessel?

i ca move my pointer finger the farthest, about half flexed, last night i could move it all the way tho. the other three fingers are in a semi-flexed position and cannot be moved w/o pain. thumb still works fine.

my palm is also very swollen this morning and hurts to the touch. i had taped the middle and ring fingers in a hope to isolate the tendon, but pain has spread to every finger.

can some1 plz help with what i should to to fully recover this hand? (tape, splint, doctor?????)

edit note:google sites are telling me that i may need surgery....god i hope not...

reno

Nov 6, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yes, in fact, i am typing this using only my left hand. i was climbing last night and was on a shallow two finger pocket, open hand grip, and i heard a pop. the injury is in my right hand. on the medial side, palm up, just below the rist, is a bruise that formed maybe 5 minutes after the pop sound. broken blood vessel?

Yep. A bruise is bleeding inside the skin. Bleeding, by definition, is a hole in a blood vessel.

In reply to:
my palm is also very swollen this morning and hurts to the touch. i had taped the middle and ring fingers in a hope to isolate the tendon, but pain has spread to every finger.

can some1 plz help with what i should to to fully recover this hand? (tape, splint, doctor?????)

Doctor first, to make sure nothing is broken (it is possible to cause something called an avulsion fracture: the muscle pulls so hard on the bone that it breaks off part of the bone. This could be the problem, and you can only make sure of that by an x-ray.)

If no fracture, and no muscle tear (determined by the doctor by feeling along the muscle, checking for any gaps or spaces in the muscle... don't try it at home,) then ice and rest.

If it is a fracture, treatment will depend on the extent and type of fracture. It might require surgery, but it might just need a cast and 6 weeks of rest.

from_the_gym

Nov 6, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks a bunch reno, i have a nurse and two docs in the neeighborhood who will get to check this out, along with the family doc, unfortunately i am working 12 hrs, non manual labor, today. the doc might have to wait until monday. Thx tho.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook