RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

ill_climber

Dec 2, 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Stretching before climbing...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sometimes when i am in the middle of a route i notice my arms or any other highly used muscle in my body start tightening. I know this can not be stopped completely but, does anyone have any suggestions on some good climbing stretches?

acacongua

Dec 2, 2004, 1:30 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Re: Stretching before climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stretching helps. Also, are you getting hydrated properly? I noticed that when the cool temps hit, I was not drinking enough. When I got on the rock, I'd dehydrate and the muscles would tighten up.

andy_reagan

Dec 2, 2004, 1:37 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to slightly hijack this thread with this question: can stretching before climbing actually be harmful and make one more prone to injuries?

I've heard this before, and to me, not stretching before a hard session seems counter-intuitive, and dangerous advice, but I've heard this advice from a few independent sources and have begun to wonder. So if you have any scientific studies or research, I'd like to hear it.

To the OP: I do a combination of stretches before climbing. They're all pretty basic and can be found in any stretching book. I like the forearm stretch the best as that seems to get the blood flowing. Also the "water flick" helps.

chrisparedes

Dec 2, 2004, 1:39 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually do some stretches before I climb to help limber up.

headchop

Dec 2, 2004, 3:03 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's generally a good idea to warm up first before stretching.

I would think stretching before climbing may be fine after a decent approach but in the gym you should be a little more careful; do some easy cardio and/or traversing to warm up your muscles first.

jpdreamer

Dec 2, 2004, 3:13 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Recent news articles about the effectiveness of stretching in injury prevention have put it's use in warm ups in question. Studies were done indicating that stretchin before workout have no effect on injury rates or severity:

http://walking.about.com/cs/med/a/stretch0304.htm

Stretching after a workout was, however, shown to have a beneficial effect in injury prevention.

Stretching when not properly warmed up can cause injury, so perhaps this is what you're refering to.

Stretching it's self does improve flexibility which is important in climbing, but I choose to warm up, climb my workout, and only streach out at the end as part of a cool down.

sanguineclimber

Dec 2, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to stretch before I climb. I usually rotate my arms in cirlcles to get my shoulders lossened up, do the catching rain drops thing where you twist your arms, and then stretch my legs. I found stretching my legs before I do any routes/problems that require big high steps helps alot. Then again you could be a girl and not need to.

jpdreamer

Dec 2, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And as for climbing streaches, I do a series of leg stretches, a twisting stretch for the back, a standing stretch for extending each side of the back, a basic sit and reach, and a meditation pose style stretch for the groin muscles. Then I finish it off with an individualm stretch of each finger, and then a general forearm stretch with the wrist. I don't have time right now to find them all online, but that should give you a basic idea.

Probably the best thing I've done for flexibility is having done gymnastics as a child and thus retained a lot of my childhood flexibility (In Japan this summer I discovered just how much as I imitated a meditation pose of a budhist monk. First, obtain full lotus position (legs crossed, left foot atop right thigh, right foot atop left thigh). Then, reach behind your back with your left hand and grap your left foot. Then do the same with the right hand and foot. You then draw your feet in with your hands and flex your back and that's it. I have to be wearing shorts and be barefoot, but it's do-able. Perhaps I'll post the picture on here this evening.

cchildre

Dec 2, 2004, 3:48 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is not a good idea to stretch cold muscles. Do an easy warm up climb or something to elevate your heartrate that moves all your limbs and get the juices flowing. Then do some stretching. More important is a post stretch, I think, helps to restore blood flow to all your muscles and work out the acid.

acacongua

Dec 3, 2004, 1:14 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I pulled a muscle because I didn't loosen up my shoulder. I don't get these studies.

I agree from lots of experience in running and climbing that you need to warm up for stretching (hiking/walking helps with that or stretching very lightly). I've pulled muscles that weren't ready for the stretching I do (full-on splits).

jpdreamer

Dec 4, 2004, 9:27 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted the picture if anyone is interested, it's here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=44692

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook