Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Rock City Beta?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

grizzly

Nov 27, 2001, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Rock City Beta?  (North_America: United_States: Kansas: Minneapolis: Rock_City)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I haven't been up to Minneapolis yet, but I'm thinking about going soon. If anybody has any beta on the area it would be appreciated. I really know nothing about it, but I'd like to check it out.

roclimb

Nov 28, 2001, 3:55 AM
Post #2 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Rock City Beta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you mean Rock City Kansas?

grizzly

Nov 28, 2001, 6:21 PM
Post #3 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I am talking about Rock City. Do you know anything about it?

roclimb

Nov 29, 2001, 11:50 PM
Post #4 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ys Ive climbed there. Its ok for a one time visit. Real cool egg shaped boulders but not much hard bouldering except for eliminates. Its just North of Salina Kansas. If you drive on the interstate there you will see bilboards for it or just ask anyone. Its one of the few landmark attractions in Kansas besides the two leged sheep dog so anyone near by can tell you how to get to it from Salina.
Probably better stuff in Minn. There are one or two other spots that are ok in Kansas also.
Have Fun
~Rob

corndog

Jan 22, 2002, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am thinking of making a trip to Rock City and just want to make sure that the park will allow climbers in. do you know if they have rules about climbing there? i am always looking for new places to go bouldering.

beethovenboy

Jun 28, 2002, 5:21 PM
Post #6 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am fairly new to bouldering; what are "eliminates?"

couloir

Apr 10, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #7 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

rock city [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes they allow bouldering at Rock City. They even have a small gift shop that sells buttons that say something like I climbed at Rock City. There is a John Gill(I believe it's his) problem there that is pretty good and harder than anything else there.

devin

Apr 10, 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #8 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Rock City [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you know what the cost is to boulder at Rock City? Im thinking abut heading up there myself.

sdwoods

Jun 9, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #9 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Re: rock city [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is a John Gill(I believe it's his) problem there that is pretty good and harder than anything else there.

Can you identify the boulder with the Gill problem? Any guidebooks for Rock City? We are swinging by there tomorrow to check it out. Sounds like a fun place.

Thanks,
Steve

redtail

Jun 9, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #10 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Rock City [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey sdwoods,

If you're passing through Kansas, Rock City is fun for an afternoon or 2. Depends on your creativity factor I guess. I lived in Salina for many years and spent many an afternoon there trying to create new problems (out of sheer frustration and lack of gas money!) Are you going to be in the area for more than a day? I'm a couple of hours from there now but a trip there would be worth the nostalgia factor if nothing else. I don't know anything about a "John Gill" problem. Seems every place you go somebody has heard someone else talking about a friend who said he heard that Gill had visited and put up some henious monster problem. The admission there I think is $3. Used to be anyway. Try some of the problems "no hands". (seriously!) Also, over on the NW edge of the park, there's a short vertical face looking north. Climb it without using the edge. (only 2 moves ) Most of the big roundies can be traversed at or below mid height using heel and toe hooks. Have fun! BTW if you're in Salina for a couple of days and need a climbing fix, check out the old fortress building just north of Lindsborg (30 minutes south of Salina) called Coronado Heights. It looks like an old castle complete with a turret. Do laps around the building or solo up and down. Its around 25 or 30 feet at its highest. Made from some kind of native sandstone and can be fun. If you're really up for a challenge try climbing on the inside. It's a bi@#h!! Anyway, there's a nice view of the KS countryside from up top but watch out for broken glass!

sdwoods

Jun 15, 2004, 4:15 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock City [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the beta redtail. We got there just as a classic high-plains T-Storm cell, complete with hail and tornados, was passing through, so we postponed the bouldering until we came back through, on the way back to Colorado. It is definately a fun place to visit and boulder at least once. Though, if I lived in the area, I'd be out there every cool day possible. Admission was $1 for adults and $0.50 for kids w/o a driver's license. The old man running the shop was very friendly. My impression: Awesome boulder formations with perfect landings! We tried to stay in the shade, but it was a bit hot. I'd recommend going in the Fall or Winter. Also, I noticed quite a bit of trash on the ground and on top of some boulders. We picked up several handfulls.

http://www.woodsfamilyclimbs.com/..._City_Kansas_020.jpg

http://www.woodsfamilyclimbs.com/..._City_Kansas_030.jpg

buildings

Dec 12, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock City [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a guide book being built by a guy in Newton Kansas i dont know when it will be done.

obsessiveclimbingdisorder

May 18, 2006, 9:28 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5494 views)
Shortcut

rock city info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The current cost of Rock City is $3.00, it is open from 9-5 May 1-Sept 1, I don't know whether you can climb in the "off season". Some websites on it are:

http://www.washburn.edu/cas/art/cyoho/archive/KStravel/rockcity/
http://www.naturalkansas.org/rockcity.htm

kij

May 2, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redtail] Rock City [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This post is years old, but what the hell. Any more info you can give me about Lindsborg?

Kij

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook