RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

eljay

Sep 23, 2004, 8:05 AM
Post #1 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Backflip!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I decided that I was going to learn backflips yesterday and it went amazingly well. I had a spotter help me learn them on the ground first, it only took maybe four spotted tries before I felt confident doing it on my own. After my backflips on the ground felt comfortable I again had a spotter and tried it off the slackline, no problem. With the added height and bounce from the slackline it really was not that hard at all.

I write this to encourage those of you who would like to learn to make the decision to do it. If you have never done a backflip before I would learn it on a trampoline first, then with a good spotter and maybe a crash pad learn them on the ground. I think this is a good step because although you could learn them probably just off the slackline, being able to do one on the ground helps with your form a lot and will allow you to be much more in control when you are coming off an unstable line. Once you are comfortable on the ground use a crash pad, a few spotters and try it on a low (~4ft) tight, short, slackline. You will likely find that it is a lot easier than you expected.

Today I played around with flips off of lines some more, super fun. A loose, long line is definitely more challenging than a short tight line. I found they weren't bad off a fairly tight 45ft line. Although today I set up my longest line yet, ~85ft. The anchors were about 8ft off the ground, and the line had about ~4-5 feet of sag when weighted in the middle. Wow, what a different feeling than a shorter line. Tried a backflip off of this with little success, although not terrible, made it around just didn't land. I am excited to start setting up longer lines though, if any of you have not I would highly recommend it, a very different feel.

Oh and another bonus of learning backflips on the ground, I learned flips off a wall today as well, you know where you run up a wall and flip off, also much easier than one would think.

So, get a spotter and face your fears, it is the best feeling to commit and land your first backflip.
If you want more advise, check out this site, I found it after I learned but it looks like it could be useful.
http://www.trickstutorials.com/
-lebn

Partner coldclimb

Sep 23, 2004, 8:49 AM
Post #2 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Re: Backflip! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for the note. I know it's the next step for me, I just don't want it enough yet to make myself do it. Eventually.... :wink:

And yeah, trickstutorials is an awesome site.

johnson6102002

Sep 27, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #3 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, thanks for the note. I know it's the next step for me, I just don't want it enough yet to make myself do it. Eventually.... :wink:

same here
but i always cant sike my self up for it
kinda like my first pool backflip attempt( went strait up instead of out and landed head on diving board everyone thought i was paralyzed but i didnt even know i hit my head i geusss i just have nothing in it)

uncreative

Sep 27, 2004, 2:20 PM
Post #4 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With this thread for inspiration and a few years longing to flip of picinic tables, I finally "tried" a backflip. I always had a nasty habbit of looking over my shoulder jumping from a diving board... which I managed to do again this time. :(

I highly recommend learning a back handspring before the backflip to get accustomed to jumping backwards. It seems to be helping my progress. :wink:

jb

Oct 22, 2004, 4:34 AM
Post #5 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, thanks for the inspiration, i read this forum a while ago and then went out and learned how to do it and now i'm pretty consistent...it's tight....to anyone who's trying, you might want to learn it on a trampoline first.

eljay

Oct 22, 2004, 5:55 AM
Post #6 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I always had a nasty habbit of looking over my shoulder
Yes, I had this tendency as well and it is difficult to get over. It is very important though that you do not look over your shoulder, this is not committing and you just won't make it. Going straight over backwards feels much different, it feels scarier at first, but it is what you need to do. In looking over your shoulder you are bailing out and not letting yourself face that fear, thus the rest of your body will not commit either.

In reply to:
dude, thanks for the inspiration, i read this forum a while ago and then went out and learned how to do it and now i'm pretty consistent
That's awesome, glad you went ahead and did it, congratulations.

Although this is not something that is easy for everyone to learn, granted it comes easier for some than others, I think that if you really want it, and take the time to learn it in a safe manner, ie on a trampoline and then with a good spotter over mats and so on, most people can get this.
I can't explain how nice it is to finally be able to do it, it has been something I have wanted for a long time.

-lebn

a-slacker-in-progress
Deleted

Oct 26, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #7 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool thread,

I also am a disciple of trickstutorials.com , I learned to backflip from the examplers, but no spotter :) Unless you can seriously jump, and got guts, I SERIOUSLY recommend getting a spotter.

I am working on my flash kick form, but I've been busy messing around with gymnastics, havent got a chance to backflip off the line.

I did set mine up yesterday, but today its raining :(

ill post vids upon my success, or you might never see a post from me again.... DA DA DUH! (evil suspenseful sound followed by gasps and more silence.)

gearsighted

Nov 25, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #8 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, tricks tutorials has some excellent video totorials for backflips!!

Also, on Urban Freeflow (the global Parkour network), in the techs forum, there is a HUGE topic about flips: http://p202.ezboard.com/furbanfreeflowfrm31.showMessage?topicID=422.topic

Hope that helps any out there that are intersted ;)

jb

Dec 2, 2004, 7:55 AM
Post #9 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the next step is doing a backflip and landing back on the line. I'll post if I ever do that......it would be so tight...

wiscoclimbiner

Dec 16, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #10 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the guys that i slackline with have thought about "line-to-line" backflips,like landing on the line after teh backflip. this coming spring( its a little to cold to be out slacklining in winter in wisconsin) we will set up a system that will "catch" the slacker if they miss the line. we will run a static line or use a ropes course and belay them with two lines one on each hip with enough slack to land the flip but tight enough to catch them befroe they eat it on the ground. or setting a line over a deep river/ body of water is an option, that we have tried. i believe that this is very possible and only a matter of time before it actually happens

Ben

Partner coldclimb

Dec 16, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #11 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this coming spring( its a little to cold to be out slacklining in winter in wisconsin)

PSH! Get out there and slack! Use snow as your crashpad. ;) This is my plan, once enough of it piles up (bad winter this year) and I can get a group together. 8^) I'll let you know if I'm ever able to land one. :lol:

http://www.morffed.com/climb/temp/kate01.jpg

wiscoclimbiner

Dec 16, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #12 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats awesome coldclimb... but the only thing is i hate slacking is shoes and when the ground gets hard it really hurts to do any jumping/flipping because it just kills your feet. but maybe if we get bored up at school we will have a session

theturtle

Dec 17, 2004, 6:36 AM
Post #13 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoes? Those look like Koflachs!

Is that you coldclimb? You look funny :lol:
Oh yea, the snow as crash pad is a good idea, especialy for this trick.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 17, 2004, 6:55 AM
Post #14 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Shoes? Those look like Koflachs!

Is that you coldclimb? You look funny :lol:

Haha, not hardly. I can't even remember the last time I wore blue jeans. :lol: But those are most assuredly not koflachs. Her feet were a bit cold, though mine did all right in my tennies. ;)

clausti

Dec 17, 2004, 7:59 AM
Post #15 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit: delete.

wiscoclimbiner

Dec 17, 2004, 5:17 PM
Post #16 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti

at the university that i attend we have access to a foam pit and spring floor like you are talking about. i can do standing back tucks and back lay outs off of things, along with roundoff back tucks. the only part that i need to work on is the landing back on the line. so the set up that you were discribing (the harness type setup) is exactly what we are going to do only instead of the belay being from two poles it will be from a rope that is strung between two trees

Ben

clausti

Dec 17, 2004, 5:19 PM
Post #17 of 17 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit: delete.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook