RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

bean523

Dec 17, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1398 views)
Shortcut

baja climbs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there, does anybody know of any bouldering/climbing for a novice climber in Baja California, specifically the La Paz and Cabo St Lucas areas?

nateyoun

Dec 17, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Re: baja climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cabo San Lucas does have some climbing, but not very much at all.

We went for bouldering and found two REALLY good problems(v4 and v6 probably), and somewhere between 10-20 other problems depending on if you count eliminates, and traverses and problems that don't top out.. there's a bit of water bouldering to.

we did see some routes, and a couple doing a route that looked pretty cool. and easy. probably 5.5 or so.. but trad. not TR or Sport..

as for information.. i was never able to find a guide book.
but everything we found around cabo was at lovers beach
http://www.loscabosguide.com/.../loversbeachcabo.htm
http://www.loscabosguide.com/...vers-beach-4A-23.jpg
http://www.loscabosguide.com/...ics/lovers-beach.jpg

most of the climbing is on the walls or around them at lovers beach.. the two really good problems are on the next beach north of lovers beach on the west side of lands end.. a little bit of scrambling can get you there, and they're on an outcrop that can't be missed...

if you're getting closer to your trip and you are going to cabo, email me and i can give you better info.
but don't go just for bouldering.

nate

bighigaz

Dec 17, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock & Ice mag did a piece on Baja climbing, bouldering, and surfing... had a pretty sweet layout for a decent road trip... I'll look for the issue in my stash and get back to you... It really was an excellent article, and made Baja sound like a paradise to me!

nateyoun

Dec 17, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one thing i didn't mention was for more adventurous people. there is a boulder field in the middle of baja, right near the boarder between baja sud and nord, that is HUGE>. makes bishop looking like the warm up boulder.

i've seen a few articles here and there, i think R&I and V bouldering. but no real topos, and it is not near the beach, or anything for that matter. so you'll want to bring all your water and food with you..

nate

bean523

Dec 17, 2004, 9:52 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey Nate,
thanks for responding... I'm only going to be in Cabo for 2 days Dec30-Jan1 but it's the only climbing I've heard about near where i'll be on the Baja (in La Paz). Do you think I could just boulder Lovers beach without a crash pad? Or should I join up with the "Rip Tip" crew (guided tours). I'll be pretty much on my own so no one to spot me. Also you mentioned another beach just north of Lovers, are the climbs there easy( V0-V1) or harder? ( let's keep in mind I'm still a novice climber ). Thanks for the beta... Bean

nateyoun

Dec 19, 2004, 6:26 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey bean..
here's what i suggest.. if you've got money. do the tour.. mainly because they may know more climbing areas than i was able to find while i was down there... i'm SURE there has to be more.. but it may be on private property, or really hidden.

but if you're just going to be there for 2 days.. and it sounds like you're not going there just for climbing. i would go to lovers beach and just goof off.. there's plenty there to play around on (be creative) for a few hours, especially if you combine it with jumping in the water and body surfing.. not need for a crash pad at all. all landings are either sand or water... the crash pad would probably make it harder... it would be nice to have a towel to start from though. to get the sand off your feet.
so yeah. just bring shoes and chalk to lovers beach.

the stuff north of lovers.. it's good. but hard.. but maybe worth trying..

http://home.comcast.net/~cruxphoto/jess.jpg
v4ish
http://home.comcast.net/~cruxphoto/Rock.jpg
the small middle pic.. v6ish..

both are awsome. the 4 might be worth playing around on.. not to mention since it's a west facing beach its a beautiful sunset.

I drew up a horrible little map.. send me an email. and i'll send it to you.. shows where the bouldering that we found is.

nate
climbsalot@hotmail.com

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook