Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

wetyeti

Dec 13, 2004, 11:46 AM
Post #76 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Re: something that has scared you [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

non climbing- got a phone call saying that i had to come home because my little brother had died earlier that day from a drug overdose. then getting home a few days later to see my mom accidentally eat a full bottle of valium. shes alright, but that first week we had to monitor her prescription pill intake. i had been blowing my nose so much that it began to bleed, ma was so out of it she apologized to me for punching me in the face, which she never did. she was totally out of it, but we're both doing a lot better now.

climbing- standing at a good rest ready to plug into a fist crack. the stance shifted and crumbled, two pieces pulled and i fell about 20 feet onto my noggin. walked away fine. this was scariest thing until the previous.

kman

Dec 13, 2004, 2:06 PM
Post #77 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To tell you the truth kman, you had the same attitude towards it as the doctors

Actually I did not have any opinion at all. Just asking. That sucks man. What a physco beotch. I bet it took some will power to not hit em back. Good for you.

bighigaz

Dec 13, 2004, 2:44 PM
Post #78 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting married scared the crap out of me.
But it was the smartest thing I've ever done.

My little brother disappeared when he was three years old... turned up after about 3 hours... I was "slighty" frightened by that.

Chinese Food scared me pretty bad once...
My wife's blood sugar (diabetic) dropped severely when she got food poisoning from same chinese restaurant (hole in wall) and threw up for 12 hours straight... extremely dangerous for a diabetic. Vomiting blood, dehydration, unconciousness, blood too thick to draw into a syringe at the emergency room... She's fine, she's beautiful, all is well...

We're having a daughter, our first child, in March. "Scared" doesn't describe it enough... outright FEAR seams more appropriate.

honeybee

Dec 14, 2004, 9:12 AM
Post #79 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry kman, just a little sensitive on the subject, just so used to people jumping to the wrong conclusion . and if i'm honest, I don't remember enough about the actual kicking but i might have hit back, violence and all that cr@p isn't for me, but I'd say anybody will do anything to try to get someone off you.

The laugh of it is (and yes I try to laugh at everything, much easier that way) the week before the attack I started self defence classes at uni. HAHAHA you should have seen the look on the teachers face when I arrived back a few weeks later still bearing the bruises (albiet now a nice purply yellow colour).

Yeah, I agree with b!tch, but she did have a look of crazy or drug induced nutiness about her.

They way I look at it, it could have been worse. There were three stabbings that night in belfast. So it could have been much worse.

wingnut

Dec 15, 2004, 5:11 PM
Post #80 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really have a mortal fear of anything, but it was pretty scary when we were robbed.

onsight_endorphines

Dec 15, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #81 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was stung on the eyelid by a wasp when I was a kid, I looked like a monster for the next 3 weeks with one eye swollen shut, it was pretty serious. Needless to say, I don't tolerate wasps/bees buzzing around my head anymore, and (I don't know this for sure but...) I would probably take a fall upon coming face to face with a nest.

rendog

Dec 21, 2004, 3:16 AM
Post #82 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

decking ice climbing from 5+ meters up. got up and finished the lead.

THAT was the scariest thing for me

androids

Dec 22, 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #83 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the scariest thing ever... spending the day with myself. seriously. alone. i cant imagine anything scarrier! drifting in and out of luminosity all day, scarry shit!!!

goofyc

Dec 24, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #84 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marriage. Done it twice didn't work won't do it again..... :twisted:

Partner ctardi

Dec 24, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #85 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am deathly scared of being stung/bitten by bugs, snakes, spiders, or anything else.

chalkfree

Dec 27, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #86 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My scariest climbing moment and probably what really got me into this adreniline rush we call a sport:

So this one day I was cycling home from work, along the road to my pad there happen to be these loverly blasted cliffs, not really big but a decking would definitely endanger life and limb. I decide that after cycling 8 miles or so it'd be nice to boulder a bit. So I start a problem get board and decide to top out, bout 15-20 ft up I come to a move I can do but can't downclimb. So being smart I do it, after I get up to 20 -25 ft above the rocky talus, I find that I'm stuck; no problem, I have to go up so somehow I manage a move, stabilize and make another. My left hand pulls loose a rock dinnerplate about 20 lbs worth, which makes me barndoor, my eyes were glue to that piece of ironore laden stone as it slowly feathered its way to the rocks, whereupon the shattering noise from its impact awoke me to the fact that I was an atom or two worth of rock from following it straight down, likely headfirst.

Nonclimbing: Ever gone through the ice? In December? In weather of 20 below or worse? Neither have I, but I've gone through to the waist. Talk about something to make you shiver for years to come.

frankpoole

Dec 27, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #87 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://datacore.sciflicks.com/...es/2001_large_02.jpg

braaaaaaaadley

Dec 27, 2004, 7:02 AM
Post #88 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While climbing in NC I was on fairly easy ground on a mixed sport-trad route. I was about 15 feet above my last bolt and I climb up and traverse 10-15 around a corner (the obvious path of the route) and I see nothing... no bolts, no cracks for pro; nothing. By this time I was 10 feet above the last crack I saw. After thinking that there has to be a bolt somewhere (the rock was fairly rough in appearence, so it would be easy to miss a bolt), I continued to climb. A few mins later and about 30 feet from my last bolt I see the belay station about 20 feet away. Fifteen of it was vertical; the rest of it was just low angle rock. Five feet below the top of the vertical section the footholds turned to waxy marble covered in water b/c it was in the shade. At this point I was a bit concerned for my wellbeing. I maintained my composure and focused on this last move up and over to the top. I did it no problem, and to this day It was the first time when I was really scared while climbing. I think this was good b/c I learned that day the answer to saving your butt in certain circumstances is not always to look for pro(and waste time and energy in the process), but to focus on the task at hand and climb yourself out of trouble.

uncasid

Dec 27, 2004, 7:38 AM
Post #89 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one that I almost died. My friend and I were sitting out on our lawn. Some guy in a gold intrepid pulls up and starts screaming at us. He then pulls out a gun and starts shooting at us. He missed me by about 2 inches. My friend and I scrambled back into the house. He took off after he fired at us. But I tell ya what, I kept waiting for him to come by again. I get a flash of what happened every time some one drives by my house slowly.

uncasid

Dec 27, 2004, 7:50 AM
Post #90 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohh yeah, another one that happened recently. My friend and I were on our way to SLC. He is driving like 90 and goes into a seizure. I didn't notice until we started drifting lanes. I told him twice to pay attention to the road, and no response. So I grabbed the wheel and put the car in neutral. That is when he started seizing really bad. He had the grip of death on the steering wheel and wouldn't let go. I still have no idea how I got his hands off. But I did, just in time too!!!! We almost went over the side of the cliff!!!! One thing that was great about it was I was when I was driving back. He woke up and looked over at me with the look of disbelief. He asked me, "WTF??? How did you get over there".

collegekid

Dec 27, 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #91 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

many times i've lucked out of serious injury, and a few times i've lucked out of possible death. Been in a head-on car accident, almost been hit by cars while bicycling, have fallen while bicycling, have fallen while bouldering, and probably other things have happened...Those kinds of things scare me, but usually it's over so quick you don't have time to be scared till afterwards, and at that point, fear doesn't do you any good (or bad), but instead you're left with a rush of adrenaline.

Other things that have scared me:
-Almost getting fired at my internship over the summer; I lost about half a nights sleep for two or three nights in a row.
-Finding out my uncle had cancer (he fully recovered).
-almost failing econ in last semester of high school (d'oh! I'd lined up a scantron wrong). Let's just say I did really friggin well on the final.
-Bush being elected again, and having signs of voter fraud, again, and having an ineffective public outcry, again.
-Asking out girls on numerous occasions.
-Watching my friend wipe out, unhelmeted, while going around 25 mph down a steep street. (I was riding right behind him and watched in slow motion as he got speed wobbles...he broke his collarbone and probably had a concussion)
-The list goes on.

dirtineye

Dec 28, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #92 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had cancer twice, that was scary.

The thought of my parents getting feeble and finally dying is scary.

The women I seem to wind up with are scary.

xcmntgeek

Dec 28, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #93 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Non sport: 130mph in my friend's (he's also a climber) suped up Civic. He braked a little late going into the next corner and we started spinning. Somehow made it through the corner and ended up in the ditch on the other side of the road. The cop (who saw the whole thing) wasn't happy and said that when we were spinning we were at 110. Either that or spending the night in a Northern Quebec police station with some teammates of mine- them be some big loggin boys up there.

Sport: I'm a competitive cyclist so numerous occasions of almost being intentionally hit by cars. I watched the guy in front of me loose it at over 50mph on a descent. He ate it into the curb and I somehow made it over his bike.

Climbing: Been run out a few times, but that was a cool kind of fear, and I didn't fall.

climbersoze

Dec 28, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #94 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Juggin a fixed line, was cruising pretty fast when I slightly twisted my top ascender, and when I weighted it, it didn't catch immediately and slid down the rope for a fraction of a second. The sound of the ascender sliding the two inches back down the rope had me echoing all kinds of nice words across the other side of the canyon wall as I tried to regain my composure, adn slow my heartbeat down.

Note: The ascender DID NOT come off the rope, and it functioned as designed. I was still safe and my bottom ascender was in no way shape or form going to let me go anywhere. Just trying to point out that what I did was not evidence of unsafe equipment. I was just jugging really fast and the teeth didn't catch right away because the ascender was twisted. But they still caught.

xcmntgeek

Dec 28, 2004, 8:37 PM
Post #95 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, yeah, and spiders. Spiders scare the living crap out of me. I'm just waiting to mantel a ledge and come face to face with one.

mother_sheep

Dec 28, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #96 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Watching my partner's single nut rap blow with shoddy backup on an isolated alpine route about 500' + up. Fucking horror. Near death for my partner and no way up, down or off the peak for me. Hello vultures. (Aug 04)

Leading an ice route and having the rope get caught between the front bale and the boot. Almost pulled myself off while trying to move up on very slushy ice. I doubt the screw would have held. But I laughed about it later. (Dec 04)

Rapping touchstone in Zion with a Thunderstorm planted right on top of us. My first real aid route. That freaked me out. (May 03)

Soloing a 5th class section on Inwood Arete (we were off route) and having the holds break off in my hands. That solo didn't last long. (Aug 04)

Others that have scared and troubled me outside of climbing. . .

Finding out days before X-mas that I had all my money stollen. (12/04)
Watching as the guy you love tells you he through with you. (6/04)

Damn, this year has sucked!!!!!!

fazed

Jan 5, 2005, 3:33 AM
Post #97 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any time I have to speak in front of my peers. >.<

Climbing wise.. nothing, I haven't climbed enough for anything bad to happen.

erisspirit

Jan 12, 2005, 8:55 PM
Post #98 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnies...small hands...smell of cabbage

hummm not a harcore enough climber to have scary climbing events...

here are my few small scares
- in a friends car who was goin bout 100 mph and almost hit a truck stalled in our lane then spun out in an attempt to avoid the truck :cry:

- a trip over the handle bars of a dirtbike to a face plant on the front tire followed by a 15 ft slide :shock:

- When a doctor thought i had cardiac dysrhythmia

steph

Feb 1, 2005, 1:14 AM
Post #99 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK a couple of things:
1. when i was 7 years old - walking into my cubby house to find i was surrounded by hundreds of baby huntsman spiders on every inch of every wall. probably most ppls worst nightmare.

2. Taking a 5m lead fall outdoors because i fell as i was trying to clip - exhillarating but scary. I ended up level with the belayer!

jcshaggy

Feb 1, 2005, 1:15 PM
Post #100 of 106 (11116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Broke my back three years ago. Not cool going into those x-ray machines.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook