RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coldclimb

Jan 4, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Joshua Tree in April
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, so if you've seen the latest site news, you might have caught the bit about the site gathering in JTree in April. I'm going to be there, so I've got a few questions and things to set up.

First off, where should I fly to? I don't know the area at all, so I'm not sure where I should plan on going to get reasonably priced tickets.

Second, who wants to pick me up at the airport? :lol:

And third, who wants to road trip first to Red Rocks, then to Moab, and then back to some airport that will take me home? :D This should take a couple weeks at least.... Gotta make the best of my money spent.

Partner eyecannon

Jan 4, 2005, 2:17 AM
Post #2 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Re: Joshua Tree in April [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you got some exact dates in mind? You could fly into LAX, and it's a 3 hour drive, so if you could find someone in LA to go with they could drive you out. Alternately you could fly into Burbank which is about the same distance. You could also maybe fly into Palm Springs Airport, but I don't know much about that place; it's the closest by far though.

Depending on the dates, perhaps my partner and I could bring you from LA.

EDIT: oh date will be announced in Feb.

vvvv forgot about Ontario

curt

Jan 4, 2005, 2:21 AM
Post #3 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For Joshua Tree, you want to fly into either Palm Springs, CA. (closer but usually more expensive) or Ontario, CA. which is about a 90 minute drive away.

Curt

asandh

Jan 4, 2005, 2:30 AM
Post #4 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:?:

thegreytradster

Jan 4, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Palm Springs will probably be rediculously expensive.
ONT the best practical choice, but LAX, Burbank, Long Beach or John Wayne will only add about an hour of travel time.

Find the best deal on BOTH rental car and ticket and go with that.

ottoman

Jan 4, 2005, 3:10 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back in the day ..my friend and I flew into San Diego...drove up the next day...wasn't too bad or at least I thought back then...

pheenixx

Jan 4, 2005, 9:01 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And third, who wants to road trip first to Red Rocks, then to Moab, and then back to some airport that will take me home? :D This should take a couple weeks at least.... Gotta make the best of my money spent.

hmm...I gotta admire your agressive spirit and frugal attitude. From a RTrippers advice may I make a suggestion. Do you driving at the end of the trip - you'll need to recouperate from all of this awesome climbing.

You mentioned "first to Red Rocks". This is a good idea, cause if you start in Joshua Tree (sharp granite), you won't have any skin left for RR. Do RR first, fly into Las Vegas - fares are cheap and get a car with unlimited miles. Do RR (sandstone) then head out to JTree. Drive back to LV or drive one way to San Diego. Kiss the ocean good bye then fly back from SDiego. Moab (Indian Creek) is really far in the opposite direction. If you really want to do all three. Great Lakes airlines flyes to Moab. Most airlines will not charge you anything more to fly 1-way if you book far in advance. Great Lakes airlines flies into Denver - you can connect there. The trick is finding a 1-way car rental in Moab. Driving time between these places can eat into your climbing plans and especially if you want to drive back. suggestion:

fly> Denver > Moab -- climb Indian Creek.
car 1way > Las Vegas -- climb Red Rocks
car 1way > Joshua Tree -- climb / party / climb more
car 1way > San Diego -- sleep on beach
fly home

max climbing time = max fun = less driving. You may not find anyone that shares the same schedule and destinations with you, but you sure will meet lots of people in the same crags along the way..! Closer to that time I may be able to meet up with you in any one of these places, they are all on my list for this spring. Cheers ~ phx ~

Partner coldclimb

Jan 4, 2005, 9:41 AM
Post #8 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, and by the way, I won't be driving, so that kinda limits me some. ;) No license, and I'm only 18, so I'd have a tough time renting a car anyway. I'm stuck hitching rides with people who want a partner for these areas during this time. ;) Also, cash is short for plane hopping too, I really might not be able to make it to Moab or RR. I do want to, but if it's gonna be too much money I'll settle for JTree alone. ;) I guess the most important thing is flying into an airport where I can get to and from JTree without problems, and the rest will kinda go from there.

callmeraymon

Jan 4, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you do decide on flying into Palm Springs you can most probably catch a ride with someone. Many Marines from the Marine base in 29palms fly into PS. Most will gladly let you tag along to keep them awake. Oh yeah, if you can come up with some money, cabs will take you there. There are even shuttles that drive up to Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree/29Palms.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 4, 2005, 4:56 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had such a great time at Joshua Tree a few weeks ago and, when the guys at Nomads mentioned how beautiful the desert can be in spring (if wet winter conditions allow for it), I immediately committed to coming back in April. I was also happy to read that RC.com will host a gathering just now...that should help quite a bit.

Anyway - you must go! There is time; it will all work out for you.

I am trying to get a small group up to come with me too. My problems....don't lead, and also don't have a drivers license/credit card, (although by April, maybe I will find the time to get that license taken care of). It's a litle hard to sell a trip when all I have to offer is....well, my sometimes irritating company....but I have faith.

We flew into Las Vegas, because the flights/rental car is less expensive. It's a 3 hour drive through desert, and you don't want to get stranded becuase there's no gas stops.....but it's a pleasant drive and goes quickly.

Joshua Tree is really incredibly cool (oh yeah, and cold at night in these months!) - you will have a great time.

troutboy

Jan 4, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had such a great time at Joshua Tree a few weeks ago and, when the guys at Nomads mentioned how beautiful the desert can be in spring (if wet winter conditions allow for it), I immediately committed to coming back in April.

Very true. Josh in April can be super. One caveat, especially if you are sans car, is finding a camp site. April is spring break time in Josh. Without a car, you will need to stay in Hidden Valley or Ryan. Usually, the only way to find a site in these CGs is to cruise the CG in the morning/early afternoon when folks are leaving and grab the site. This could be tough w/o a car. Rarely are sites actually unoccupied for any length of time.

If you go during the gathering, they should have a group site or the group should save some space for you. In this case, not having a car will be a plus because you won't take up a precious parking space. In any case, timing your visit with the gathering will help on you car situation.

Hey, you're a resourceful teen, I'm sure you'll figure it out :wink:

Enjoy.

TS

jt512

Jan 4, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had such a great time at Joshua Tree a few weeks ago and, when the guys at Nomads mentioned how beautiful the desert can be in spring (if wet winter conditions allow for it), I immediately committed to coming back in April.

If all this rain we're getting counts for anything, the desert will really be beautiful this spring.

-Jay

Partner fire_eyes

Jan 4, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you come into Ontario I can pick you up and give you a ride to J-Tree. I live 20 minutes from Ontario and will definitely be heading to J-Tree if there will be a gathering. Drop me a PM when you have travel dates/times.

fredbob

Jan 4, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can rent a car, flying into Vegas would be the way to structure your trip; flights are cheap. You can hit Red Rocks first (as suggested), then head to Joshua Tree. You can either head back to Vegas to fly out (probably the least expensive option) or make a side trip and fly out of somewhere else. [BTW: What is so "special" about San Diego?]

If you are without a car, fly into Ontario (cheapest flights) or Palm Springs (probably much more $$$). If you can't get a ride, Greyhound bus heads to Palm Springs, where the Morongo Basin Transit Authority (MBTA) has bus service to the "Village" of Joshua Tree. Walk into Nomads and you can certainly hitch a ride into the Park. The MBTA leaves from both the Palm Springs Airport and Palm Springs Greyhound bus station. MBTA's telephone number is (800) 794-6282.

Last Spring was a banner year for wildflowers; simply incredible. With all the rain we are getting, expect this April to be nice too.

boogiedown

Jan 19, 2005, 2:44 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A girlfriend and I are planning a trip to jtree from anchorage, ak april 4-12. I'm far from a pro and have climbed off and on for about 5 yrs mostly indoors ranging 5'8-5'10a. I've climbed outdoors in ak and thailand, mostly sport climbing and have done some cleaning-up behind a trad climb. We have all the gear except ropes. I have some webbing and other miscellaneous items too if needed. Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook