Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

naw

Jan 29, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #1 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Camping near Rumbling Bald, NC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any beta on some cheap camping near Rumbling Bald? I'm going to boulder by myself on Monday/Tuesday 31/01 and all these pay places are like 20 bucks. That's ridiculous for one person...I don't need any water or anything I just want a place to pitch my tent. Anyone have any idea where I could throw my tent without blowing half my paycheck?

dynamicpanda

Jan 29, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #2 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping near Rumbling Bald, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no idea where you can camp, but I dont think climbing will be great Monday or Tuesday. I'm in Morganton (about an hour away from RB) and everything is covered in snow. Its gonna take alot of sun to dry the rocks in Lake Lure by Monay.

ottoman

Jan 29, 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #3 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I Don't think that camping at the Bald ( anywhere beside the dirt road) is kosher...despite what the anybody may say otherwise...it is still private property............... :!: ...It'll be a couple of days yet before conditions improve for climbing there... :o

nrvna963

Jan 30, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #4 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camping on the dirt road is ok. If you have any doubts contact the SE Climbers Coalition. It’s free and you can’t get any more convenient.

nrvna963

Jan 30, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #5 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do try and camp in your car or on the road though, and no fires.

nrvna963

Jan 30, 2005, 1:02 AM
Post #6 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like stated, the conditions suck right now, unless you like really sick top outs.

nrvna963

Jan 30, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #7 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camping in your car on the dirt road or on the dirt road itself is ok, its free and it cant be any more convienent. If you have any doubts about this contact the SE Climbers Coalition.

like stated, the conditions suck right now, unless you like really sick top outs.

naw

Jan 30, 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #8 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the beta on camping in the dirt road...I'll see how that looks. As far as the conditions, the freezing level hovered somewhere around the southern border of north carolina and a lot of the southern area didn't get snow...freezing rain and ice instead (I'm an Air Force Meteorologist so I've got pretty good reports). I'm hoping that the area didn't get too heavy of a snowfall, and since they've been getting rain since last night and it should continue to rain lightly today most of the snow in exposed areas should get a pretty good melt. Combine that with only partly cloudy skies for later today and the next two days, and highs in the upper 40s, and I think the conditions might be just decent enough to climb in. If worse comes to worse, I just won't top out anything. I'll be damned if mother nature is going to ruin my fun.

Partner j_ung

Jan 30, 2005, 2:11 PM
Post #9 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the beta on camping in the dirt road...I'll see how that looks. As far as the conditions, the freezing level hovered somewhere around the southern border of north carolina and a lot of the southern area didn't get snow...freezing rain and ice instead (I'm an Air Force Meteorologist so I've got pretty good reports). I'm hoping that the area didn't get too heavy of a snowfall, and since they've been getting rain since last night and it should continue to rain lightly today most of the snow in exposed areas should get a pretty good melt. Combine that with only partly cloudy skies for later today and the next two days, and highs in the upper 40s, and I think the conditions might be just decent enough to climb in. If worse comes to worse, I just won't top out anything. I'll be damned if mother nature is going to ruin my fun.

Well, well, well... It looks as though I have a new weather resource. :P

andy_reagan

Jan 30, 2005, 2:13 PM
Post #10 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been to the bald, but plan to in a week. The dirt road you speak of is the road approaching the parking lot? I was under the impression the parking lot is off limits, but you're saying the dirt road approaching it is OK to pull off on and crash in your car?

Thanks!

naw

Jan 30, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #11 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andy...I'm still planning on leaving tomorrow morning to head up there and I'm planning on camping in the road if it looks feasible. Otherwise some guys working at Black Dome in Asheville told me about a national forest near there at Mills River...apparently it has pulloff spots with tent pads and fire rings so I'll head there if I need to. You can find good information and directions (along with a map) from I-26 to Mills River here:http://www.cs.unca.edu/...mills_river_area.htm
The guys said it was only about 25 minutes away from the bald.

Jay...if you need any information about the weather up to about 5 days out just contact me and ask. I work 12 hour shifts usually 3-4 days per week forecasting the weather in the middle east so as long as things are pretty easy over there I've got plenty of time to check it out for you. The office next to me forecasts the weather for the entire southeast so I can usually just pop over there and ask them what's going on. I take no responsibility for what actually happens though (the meteorlogist creed).

Nate

nrvna963

Jan 30, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #12 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The dirt road in the parking lot, sorry for not specifying.

bruceb

Jan 31, 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #13 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Please Do Not Camp At Rumbling Bald [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please do not camp on the road or in the parking lot. If you do, you are risking future climber access to Rumbing Bald. The land owners agreed to allow us use of the road during the day for climbing access under the conditions: no camping, no fires, no dirtbiking, no 4 wheeling and no hunting. If you can camp in your car, do so somewere else. Please help save the Bald. If you want to help or want accurate information, not bogus speculation, visit carolinaclimbers.org.

The good news. I live 20 minutes from the Bald and the weather cleared up enough today that I'm sure there were dry routes and boulders by the afternoon. Monday will probably be a good day at the Bald.

Bruce

nrvna963

Jan 31, 2005, 1:05 AM
Post #14 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Please do not camp on the road or in the parking lot. If you do, you are risking future climber access to Rumbing Bald. The land owners agreed to allow us use of the road during the day for climbing access under the conditions: no camping, no fires, no dirtbiking, no 4 wheeling and no hunting. If you can camp in your car, do so somewere else. Please help save the Bald. If you want to help or want accurate information, not bogus speculation, visit carolinaclimbers.org.

You sure about that, i heard from a seclimber rep that someone bought the land recently and its ok to camp on the road.

dynamicpanda

Jan 31, 2005, 1:50 AM
Post #15 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought it was illegal to camp on the road. Even if there is a chance that it is now legal, please dont take that chance. Rumbling Bald is too cool of an area to lose.

norskagent

Jan 31, 2005, 2:23 AM
Post #16 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You sure about that, i heard from a seclimber rep that someone bought the land recently and its ok to camp on the road.

Yea I think he's sure about it. Please don't speak for the scc unless you are an scc spokesman or you are referencing something from their website. It would be a shame to jeapordize access to the bald or any other area due to spreading hearsay or rumor as fact.

nrvna963

Jan 31, 2005, 3:58 AM
Post #17 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yea I think he's sure about it. Please don't speak for the scc unless you are an scc spokesman or you are referencing something from their website. It would be a shame to jeapordize access to the bald or any other area due to spreading hearsay or rumor as fact.

Whatever dude, i was just saying what we were told. I trusted him, and apparently other people have heard this same "rumor" as you call it. Maybe you just need to get out more, but nevertheless, it might not be true, so i take back what i said... for now.

nrvna963

Jan 31, 2005, 4:10 AM
Post #18 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please disregard what i said about someone saying it was ok to camp there, they were talking about somewhere else, and it wasnt an scc rep. Sorry to spread this rumor.

kirkbrode

Jan 31, 2005, 4:25 AM
Post #19 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Please disregard what i said about someone saying it was ok to camp there, they were talking about somewhere else, and it wasnt an scc rep. Sorry to spread this rumor.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Kirk.

kirkbrode

Jan 31, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #20 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And just so there is no confusion...
In reply to:

Bruce

norskagent

Jan 31, 2005, 3:41 PM
Post #21 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just need to get out more?!?!

bumblie

Jan 31, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #22 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just need to get out more?!?!

I thought that was pretty funny, too. :lol:

Partner j_ung

Jan 31, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #23 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, he did say, "Maybe..."

nrvna963

Jan 31, 2005, 5:20 PM
Post #24 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I said that bc you were railing on me. I dont know who you are, but it seems like you have an ego. So lets go climbing sometime, you pick the spot and routes.

norskagent

Jan 31, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #25 of 33 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you think stating the obvious is railing on you, then you should lighten up. To question Bruce B. about the current status at the bald and then cite "what you were told" about it as fact needed to be called out...simple as that.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook