Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
Type of plywood for home wall - ACX or CDX??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

boretribe

Jun 11, 2002, 6:29 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Type of plywood for home wall - ACX or CDX??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm in the process of building a pretty extensive bouldering cave in my garage; 20-40 degree overhangs, horizontal roof and a fair amount of vertical area as well. I am just finishing up with the framing and will soon be purchasing the plywood. Should I go with 3/4 ACX or CDX ply? The CDX is considerable cheaper but I am concerned about the strength versus the ACX. Safety is more of a concern than cost but I would rather spend the difference on a new cam or two if I can get away with CDX safely. What is your opinion - ACX or CDX?

-Geoff

Is not life a hundred times too short for us to bore ourselves?
--FN

biggernhell

Jun 11, 2002, 7:04 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Type of plywood for home wall - ACX or CDX?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've built a few home walls and none of them have killed anybody yet. From my experience as long as you use 3/4 inch stuff, cdx is plenty strong. Sink the money you save into more holds. Have fun.

[ This Message was edited by: biggernhell on 2002-06-11 12:05 ]

apollodorus

Jun 11, 2002, 8:06 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The main difference between ACX and CDX is the the visible plies are better for ACX. Basically, you have one A face and one C face; CDX has one C and one D face. The eXterior glue is the same for both. The small difference in strength, due to knots and stuff on the facing plies, is marginal. The ACX would have a better surface to sand and seal, though. Then again, you can knock some of the knots out of the CDX face and use the shallow holes as mini crimpers.

morganicclimbing

Jun 12, 2002, 3:33 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been building my wall for about a year and I use leftovers from construction sites. It's free and they throw away 4'x4' sheets all the time. So I have worked with all types. All 3/4" which is the most important like was mentioned. I have also used 3/4" OSB which is $12 a sheet and works fine but I would rather use ply. OSB has a higher tear strength but ply is better and stronger for placing t-nuts. Plus OSB is just shy of 4'x8' which makes it hard to line up on a 2' center. I'm not trying to sell anything but I place a blanket order of 10,000 t-nuts at a time if you want to save some money.

estwing

Jun 17, 2002, 12:10 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want a super finished look, like what you've seen the walls in The Front Climbing Club during the pusher open use MDO(medium density overlay) plywood. It's sweet, it has a layer MDF(medium density fiberboard) that is totaly smooth.

It costs way too much but it still rocks.

Good luck,
SAM

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook