Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Zion climbing history
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

dangle

May 27, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #526 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Re: Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh now I get it. You think that I'm saying I'm important because I have a few mil? Hey there are over 4,000,000 people in this country with a seven figure net worth and any idiot who's been investing in the market for three decades could be one.

I'm a big fan of capitalism. You'd have to be an idiot NOT to be.

golsen

May 27, 2005, 9:22 AM
Post #527 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

double post

golsen

May 27, 2005, 9:26 AM
Post #528 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dangle,
nice poem. And congrats on the tower.

In reply to:
But much of this thread has been less than good natured and the timing out of the blue right after I do a prominent interview, come out with a video, and score some consideration online, is suspicious to put it mildly. Then there is the sheer idiocy of Brian Smoot who suggests that because I'm a secular jew I shouldn't object to swastikas placed outside my house. That Jones claims to be provoked by allegations of lies and then denies the climbing community $10K by refusing a polygraph that would give him a grand as well speaks volumes on his credibility.
I dont recall bsmoot ever doing something like that. I have known bsmoot for many years and I can honestly say he is a very honorable person. He is probably te last climber I know who would talk smack about another one.....Are you just bored Ron?

Gary

Partner tradman

May 27, 2005, 9:49 AM
Post #529 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a big fan of capitalism. You'd have to be an idiot NOT to be.

Well, either an idiot or one of the millions of people in the third world who are killed annually by our capitalism.

But I guess that doesn't bother you so much.

flamer

May 27, 2005, 1:50 PM
Post #530 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If Dean Woods and Dave Jones accept by June 9, 2005 will put up $2K each as well as $20K for the climbing community should they pass a polygraph.
But if they refuse or fail the AAC will no longer remain my chief heir with a bequest currently valued at 7 figures and a lesser one for the Access Fund with a 6 figure value will also be nullified.

It's unfortunate that you are so "disenchanted with the community as a whole", Ron. But if such is the case then why would you be so eager as to let the Olevsky millions ride on the shoulders of 2?? Two that you seem to think are the worst of the community??

It's all quite interesting....

Although I'm sure the AAC and the Access fund could have put your money to great use....they shall carry on.

Good luck to you Ron, whatever you choose to do!

josh

dangle

May 27, 2005, 2:05 PM
Post #531 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gary, he wrote it. Just ask him.

Josh, who urged those two to do the right thing?

tradman, I'm an ethical investor. Profit is not my only goal. Tell me more about the millions I kill.

grayhghost

May 27, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #532 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We were so close to having a civil, informative forum
dedicated to the history of Zion and some history in
the making but here we are again. Sad.

dangle

May 27, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #533 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradman, this confounds me. My parents were immigrants who met in the United States. My family has been in mineral resource development and marketing for generations. I'm currently considering a jade mine in Guatemala that would sell precious stone mostly to China.

What the heck do you mean by "our capitalism"?

We are part of a world economy and the US after only sixty year's prominence is quickly becoming a third rate nation that does a poor job of educating its children or managing its resources and thereby is failing to compete effectively in all but a few specialized markets.

dangle

May 27, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #534 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gg, nature of the beast I guess, or do you fault me for standing my ground?
Send me your email and I'll send you some shots from my latest effort, Dead Horse Walking.

Partner cracklover

May 27, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #535 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...my latest effort, Dead Horse Walking.

Hahaha! Indeed! But enough of this horse, are there no more stories?

GO

dangle

May 27, 2005, 6:37 PM
Post #536 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah but I jest not. This week I returned to Dead Horse Point and worked on a new route that years ago I had named Dead Horse Walking. Ofcourse the irony of the name coinciding with the nature of this thread was hardly lost on me...

What was strange was that at 4:15 I crawled out of the bivy cave to pee and saw a long line of vehicle lights below. As we walked to the route at 6:00 we saw a helicopter "chasing" what appeared to be a 6 horse stage coach over a mile away and over a thousand feet below us.

A Wells Fargo commercial in production??

grayhghost

May 27, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #537 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear they are bring back the Indiana Jones series,
maybe they will have to give you credit if your rope
is hanging in the background.

golsen

May 27, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #538 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dangle,
33 pages....I doubt many will brave the entire thread to find out what your beef is with other climbers. Could you summarize in one paragraph what is the exact nature of your beef? Just curious....

dangle

May 27, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #539 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah gg if they could digitally remove Tom Cruise/Ron Kauk's rope mine should be no problem at all.

But who is this Jones?

dangle

May 27, 2005, 7:06 PM
Post #540 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually had a run in with the father of a young woman I was seeing in Indiana in '77.

I ended up naming a really good route after him.

Its called Hoosier Daddy

dangle

May 27, 2005, 7:26 PM
Post #541 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gary,
did you ask Brian if he penned the idiotic tripe? Did he confirm???

As for your abridgement. I don't like it when others "paraphrase" me, and will not do it to others. If you want to read inadequate summaries read USA Today. At least I spared you the other 31 verses...

Besides you must remember; I can only type with one finger. I like you Gary even if you don't check for knots. So please don't ask for more information. PM me your email and I'll send you a shot of Dead Horse Walking.

Ron

dangle

May 27, 2005, 8:19 PM
Post #542 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What gives with the jargon minicapialization/highlighting? The new Navaho code talking perhaps??

stroker

May 28, 2005, 7:11 AM
Post #543 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I support Ron Olevsky! I do not know Ron personally, yet I feel as though I have enjoyed his vision and labor time and time again. After nearly a decade in Cedar City, I became well aquainted with Ron's routes. Even as I traveled east (towards Colorado) I climbed Mr. Dangles climbs. A few climbs you ask? Not likely...perhaps I'll spray my Olevsky routes in which I owe Ron greatly for pioneering great routes. I was on the Ribbed Buttress in Colorado National Monument. I was glazing at a overwhelming offwidth on the third pitch. I told myself (only myself because I was solo) that if I had to climb that horrific OW I would abandon hope and bail. To my surprise!!! was drilled angles arching to the left. This "ladder" avoided that OW, and my climb proceeded with bliss. Other climbs that we owe Ron for are obviously the popular routes in Zion. Without his vision of HAFWEN we would all be trying to scrape our way up ugly scares like that of the DESERT SHIELD. If you don't agree with me? Try to enjoy G-Money without having to deal with bigass blow-outs. I know how to climb hard aid, and I must agree that the cleaner (less man made crumbly)rock the better. I'm sure someone will disagree with me. I'm here to respect Dangles contributions to the climbing community. I feel as though I must list a few of his many contributions to remind people that its the climbing we need to focus on, not the rivalry or stubborness. Some of Dangles great routes are: Thousand Pints of Light, Leopard Skin, Presdigitator, Bats Meow, Babes in Tailand, The Highlander, Pygmyalien, Roar of the Greasepaint, Owl Rock, Touchstone Wall, Monkeyfinger, Prodical Sun, Spaceshot, Ribbed Buttress, Iron Messiah, Gentlemans Agreement, Sunlight Butress, to name an extreme few in southwestern Utah.
Thank for reading this
Troy Anderson

bsmoot

Jun 1, 2005, 5:07 AM
Post #544 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Ed:

I accidently posted a PM here.

Please delete.

dangle

Jun 1, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #545 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first read the above I figured Brian had posted and then deleted then it slowly dawned on me that it might actually be Brian's lame ass idea of an apology.

If this is the case then I must reassess my high opinion of his father in light of the poor job he did in teaching Brian a vital human communication skill.

An apology is not like saying "uncle" in a fight. One needs to DEAL WITH one's actions and their consequences.

tenesmus

Jun 1, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #546 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might have said this before, but you are a petty, bitter old man.

dangle

Jun 1, 2005, 7:54 PM
Post #547 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tenesmus

A bold man indeed who renders opinions knowing little on the subject from the anonymous remote security of a computer screen.

How original!

brianinslc

Jun 1, 2005, 8:03 PM
Post #548 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From the USA Today a few days ago...

"Here is a secret that no one has told you: Real life is junior high. The world that you are about to enter is filled with junior high, adolescent pettiness; pubescent rivalries; the insecurities of 13-year-olds; and the false bravado of 14-year-olds. "

- Ex-NBC anchor Tom Brokaw, Emory University, May 16

But I am curious, Ron, what question you'd pose to Dean under the scrutiny of a lie detector test?

Nice cover shot on the latest Alpinist, eh? Not exactly "alpine" climbing, but, works for me (issue #11).

There goes the "good ol' boys club", eh, Rockprodigy? Ha ha.

Cheers,

Brian in SLC

golsen

Jun 1, 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #549 of 667 (68981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I support Ron Olevsky! I do not know Ron personally, yet I feel as though I have enjoyed his vision and labor time and time again. After nearly a decade in Cedar City, I became well aquainted with Ron's routes. Even as I traveled east (towards Colorado) I climbed Mr. Dangles climbs. A few climbs you ask? Not likely...perhaps I'll spray my Olevsky routes in which I owe Ron greatly for pioneering great routes. I was on the Ribbed Buttress in Colorado National Monument. I was glazing at a overwhelming offwidth on the third pitch. I told myself (only myself because I was solo) that if I had to climb that horrific OW I would abandon hope and bail. To my surprise!!! was drilled angles arching to the left. This "ladder" avoided that OW, and my climb proceeded with bliss. Other climbs that we owe Ron for are obviously the popular routes in Zion. Without his vision of HAFWEN we would all be trying to scrape our way up ugly scares like that of the DESERT SHIELD. If you don't agree with me? Try to enjoy G-Money without having to deal with bigass blow-outs.
Troy Anderson

Ron has certainly put up some awesome routes and his vision for that is commendable. I have even seen some of the ST.com crowd commend his clean climbing stuff. However, I do belive that your logic is flawed. I liked OJ as a football player, but was he innocent of killing his wife because he could play football? Or what about that Michael Jackson character. That dude is an awesome musician and dancer. Does that mean he is innocent?

No offense, the discussion here has less to do with climbing and more to do with personalities. Actually, I think brianinslc brought up a good one! Dangle, live and let live. Life is too short to have so much angst for so long. My guess is that bsmoot retracted his post because he is taking the high road. The road he usually takes.

dangle

Jun 1, 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #550 of 667 (69045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dial up sucks.

First page Previous page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook