Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

cgailey

Aug 28, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #176 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Re: why do people bash bouldering so much?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I enjoy all aspects of climbing, as many others on this site do. I do however see a progression in how I approach different types of climbing. Bouldering is training for sport, which is training for trad. I get the same feeling no matter what type of climbing I'm doing; however, when I breeze through tough moves. Anyone who experiences this knows what I'm talking about...the calm balance you have when things just go right.

What draws me to trad climbing is the ability to spend a great deal of time on the rock, and the added difficulty placing gear creates. I have a great deal of respect for those who are strong climbers, regardless of style, but I lose respect for them when they flame others for enjoying one style over another.

I'll put it this way...being a climber requires a certain amount of respect...respect for where you climb, respect for those who have gone before you, and respect for your fellow climbers. Egos and attitude should have no place in our sport, even though they do. There will always be those who don't think twice about crushing plants in an already closure sensitive area with their boulder pad, or those who have no concept of leave no trace ethics and take a dump on bivy ledges for others to clean up, or those chop anchor bolts, or those who bolt routes that have great pro, but these actions in no way embody the whole of climbers in each discipline.

My advice to others is to gain a mutual respect for your fellow climbers. Maybe someone who boulders exclusively has never had the opportunity to try trad climbing and is intimidated by the complexity of the sport and the holier than thou attitude many purists seem to have. Maybe that old crusty trad climber is only pulling 5.4 because he/she wants to just be on the rock and enjoy the outdoors. We shouldn't pass judgement on others because we don't see eye to eye with them or enjoy the same aspect of the sport more than the others.

tradmanclimbs

Aug 28, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #177 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is fine. I just have issues with people who think they are really cool because they boulder. No matter how hard their problem is, it's still a really small rock. Xanax seems pretty cool and i have no doubt that he can pull way harder than me but I would still love to bring him up a big rock and open his mind to the experience of moving over stone a 1,000 feet off the deck.

climber4life

Aug 29, 2004, 1:03 PM
Post #178 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wanna lead, you lead.
If you wanna boulder, you boulder.
I do a bit of both but boulderings my fave.

numbnut

Sep 1, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #179 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't aware that bouldering gets bashed so much. But I could think of a potential reason being because it is low commitment and relatively low risk. (Although I just fucked up my ankle bouldering) This makes it the most marketable and easily consumed type of climbing. A lot of climbers don't like that. They like the fact that learning how to lead climb, especially on trad gear takes a lot of time and commitment. Whereas getting better at bouldering is just about getting stronger. I am of the opinion that all of the climbing disciplines require such a different approach that they are all like individual sports. All of equal merit.

dudeman

Oct 13, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #180 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People knock on it because it's popular, and because it's the "new" big thing.
When some cocky hardman with a keyboard sees a kid in Climbing or Rock & Ice getting more press than him for doing a "less demanding" form of climbing, he's bound to get jealous and shit-talk a little. Simple.

gt29905

Oct 13, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #181 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to quote your Winston, I forwarded that to a half dozen people.

drjghl

Oct 13, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #182 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there is only one legitimate reason to think less of a boulderer. And dsafanda states it very well. Bouldering is great. But imagine doing every sick boulder move exactly the same way but hundreds of feet off the deck. That is only one aspect that boulderers deny themselves. Too bad.

eyeclimb

Oct 14, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #183 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow...I was going to add a lot of my thoughts to this topic, but xanx just said it all for me. So, I just wanted to say that I agree with you, xanx. Everyone needs to respect one another and it does not matter what type of climbing someone likes. Don't knock them for it because it's just a bad attitude to have. I am very partial to bouldering, but I don't walk around saying other types of climbing suck. All in all, no matter what type of climbing each and every climber likes, climbers are climbers in general and everyone should relax and not turn this into a sport where everyone argues and gets mad at each other, like all of the other ones that exist today.

reg

Oct 14, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #184 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i did not read past the first page cause lots of good points were made there. i wll add that as a 56 year old n00b (2yrs of trad leads under the harness) i have no problem with "boulderers" or bouldering. do a little myself.
it is a jealous and sad sort that says negative things about others -whomever! and for whatever! man i'm glad i'm not that way (or at least try not to be).

dingus

Oct 14, 2005, 4:47 PM
Post #185 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cause the little bitches get upset, why do you think???

DMT

reg

Oct 14, 2005, 4:47 PM
Post #186 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh i forgot - 100 posts! yeah! :shock: 8^) and just for grins: :lol:

jemco

Oct 16, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #187 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll only add a bit of ironic timing to this post. I just got the latest issue of Climbing magazine (at the Rifle Adopt a Crag clean up) and it is dedicated to Bouldering. The editorial will certainly draw lots of criticism from non boulderers as it claims bouldering is in fact the most important aspect of climbing--sort of "we all boulder somewhere in our climbing experience." That being said, I love to hear about boulderers being "loud, young and stupid"--ever been to Rifle? Loud, young, stupid. Smith? Loud, young, stupid Yosemite? Loud, young and stupid--The world is full of loud young stupid people who talk more than they climb, and talk WAY more than they think. I have met obnoxious people at the gunks, the red, the new, hueco, bishop, yosemite, rifle, smith, indian creek, little cottonwood, and on the list goes. Until all the obnoxious people start loving NASCAR I think our sport--in whatever discipline you like will get bashed as being full of obnoxious loud people.
jemco

p.s. there are some GREAT bouldering photos in this Climbing.

napoleon_in_rags

Oct 16, 2005, 8:16 PM
Post #188 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Until all the obnoxious people start loving NASCAR I think our sport--in whatever discipline you like will get bashed as being full of obnoxious loud people.
jemco

Actually I know plenty of obnoxious people who love Nascar.

Out of the many climbers I have met at the crags, online, the gym, bars, where ever, I have met only a few ones I would consider obnoxious. Most climbers I have met are pretty cool people no matter what their politics/ religion/ sexual preference/ ethnicity.

The only ones who annoy me are those who insist on a 4 hour drum circle in the middle of the night at either camp slime or Hidden Valley.

-Pete

avalon420

Oct 16, 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #189 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont hate them, i just enjoy seeing how many i can take out with ektra 'biners while taking a break before the 5th pitch.Its quite difficult, try it. :lol:

m_kraut

Oct 16, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #190 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Because courage earns respect, crimp strength doesn't

So it requires no courage to send a highball 30 some feet off the ground with a terrible landing and just a little pad to save your butt? And it takes courage to climb on the end of a rope 30 some feet off the ground and know you won't fall more than 10 or 15 feet? Someone please explain this to me...

I personally think that bouldering is a wonderful part of the sport, but on the other hand, so is route-climbing. They are just different sides of the same coin; both require balls and strength and an intense attitude to do at a high level. The only difference is that one is on a rope and the other is not. But I agree with rrrADAM when he says something along the lines of 'I hear more boulderers bash other types of climbing.' I've never been looked down on cause I boulder, but I have definately heard some boulderers at my local crag bashing other types of climbing.
In conclusion, Why can't we all just get along?!?!? :cry:

coopershawk

Oct 16, 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #191 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

where do all these dickhead climbers climb at? I have yet to meet one climber (boulderer or otherwise) who I'd consider obnoxious. Granted I'm not as worldly as some here, but everyone I've met so far seems pretty laid back, generous with the toprope or a spot, etc. Who gives a shit anyways, it's all climbing and fun as hell.

deserteaglle

Oct 17, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #192 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, I swear to god man, I came by bouldering honestly. Just starting out, already got other hobbies and expenses, and bouldering is the closest thing around here. So I'm thinkin', "All I need is some shoes and chalk. That's great, I can get some good workouts real cheap, and when I find a mentor, then I can go do what really appeals to me," which is just about anything high up (used to be real afraid of heights as a kid, I guess un-conciously I just want to prove something to myself). Anyway, I couldn't really at first see the point to bouldering until I tried it and then thought it was great, but since I don't know any climbers, I didn't know what type of people were into it, I just noticed a whole lot of references to beanies, and I so naively thought it was just some silly inside joke. Then this weekend I bought an Urban Climber mag. Holy shit!!!!! You mean boulderers are really mostly just college kids, and they do wear beanies in almost every friggin' picture they have in that damn thing?!?!?!?!

I was almost ashamed that I am a boulderer, even though it's only because I don't have a climbing buddy and I'm cheap. Being labeled cheap is so much better than having to answer "Oh I mostly boulder." and then hear: "You boulder?! Where's your beanie?" How can they want to fit the stereotype just so perfectly?

Well I sure as hell don't want to, so this weekend I went bouldering in my cowboy hat, and even though i was the only person at the spot, I like to think I made a statement to all other college age kids (notice I'm college age and not a college student, I love how that bothers my parents) that you don't have to look like a furry penis head to go bouldering, just be yourself. Unless you are a furry penis head then just copy me and get a cowboy hat. :lol:

On second thought, don't go get a cowboy hat, I like being the only whiteboy around here with a taco hat, and I don't want to start a trend here forcing me to change styles so I don't look like every other cowboyhat-wearing, dumbass kid boulderer. I'd have to do something extreme then, like wear a fez or something.

musicman

Oct 17, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #193 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
however, i have respect for other types of climbing as well. i respect sport climbers for pulling absolutely disgustingly hard moves on lead and doing some of the sickest lines possible. i respect trad climbers for the balls to actually trust that tiny chunk of metal wedged into that micro with a big whipper. i respect ice climbers b/c i can see the purity in it and the beauty of it (plus the balls to trust a screw u put into the ice by hand to save ur life!). Aid climbers are just insane. A5 climbing sounds to me like a very good way to get a free trip home in a timber box. and, apparently, A5 climbers have to be veritable encyclopedias of technical knowledge. And then there are the "jack of all trades" alpine hardmen who do it all in mega-epics up the most formidable peaks.
that was one of the best things i've ever heard someone say on this site, very open minded, i enjoyed reading it. good stuff. people bash boulders because of numerous reasons. i don't like bouldering much. i love routes. longer the better. everyone's view of pure climbing may be different. you may think hard hard moves with no gear 10-20 feet off the ground is pure, other's think climbing a 2500 foot vertical face in a day is pure, and other's think going alpine style in the himalya is pure. so there you have it.

glyrocks

Oct 17, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #194 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
where do all these dickhead climbers climb at?

I they're bouldering now.

iscreamhedake

Oct 19, 2005, 3:39 AM
Post #195 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man, i work with a guy and he calls boudlering "climbers A.D.D." we work in a gear store. and im always just like "eric, whats teh deal man?" but quite frankly i dont give a damn if people dont like boulderers. im more inclined to worry about people who know shit about rocks come out and get hurt at places weve worked hard to keep open. last may i held a kids crushed head in my lap while i waited for paramedics to get to the boulderfields in birmingham (moss rock preserve). so in your eyes we might be at the bottom of everyone elses list. but im at the top of mine. i dont care what i climb as long as i have fun doin it. its my source of discipline and thats all there is to it.

dood

Oct 19, 2005, 4:45 AM
Post #196 of 215 (29299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you answered your own question:
"...young punks with big pillows who don't have the balls to lead."

raistros

Nov 30, 2011, 8:27 AM
Post #197 of 215 (15642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moabbeth] why do people bash bouldering so much?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think there's kind of a perception that boulderers are a little more cocky, more likely to be spraylords about what they're working, it's more of a competitve and social activity rather than being roped up climbing up a rock with your partner. I think it's cause it attracts a younger crowd with a lot more testosterone pumping than other forms of climbing. You don't often see someone 8 pitches up a trad climb with 5 friends looking on yelling "f*cking send it dude, send it!!!". Not that I personally think there's anything wrong with that, but bouldering is an activity that doesn't get far off the ground, thus more people are going to see and hear what you're doing if you're only 5 feet off the ground as opposed to being roped up 300 ft off the deck. And as in every crowd, a few loudmouthed obnoxious people can get an overall behaved crew a bad name.

And please don't flame me for this observation, but I see more bragging and flame waring among boulderers on this site than any other area. You don't see aid climbers bashing back and forth about whether they used a hook or a leeper cam on a move, but you often see big time wars going on about what's a real V3 and how there's no way someone climbed a v8, etc. Just an observation.
are u saying its inherently bad that its social and competitive?
I'm not convinced its bad or good, just different.
competition helps push people to their limits and do better, which i like
and simultaneously it turns some people off.
so i guess its preference.

shockabuku

Nov 30, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #198 of 215 (15621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [raistros] why do people bash bouldering so much?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

raistros wrote:
In reply to:
I think there's kind of a perception that boulderers are a little more cocky, more likely to be spraylords about what they're working, it's more of a competitve and social activity rather than being roped up climbing up a rock with your partner. I think it's cause it attracts a younger crowd with a lot more testosterone pumping than other forms of climbing. You don't often see someone 8 pitches up a trad climb with 5 friends looking on yelling "f*cking send it dude, send it!!!". Not that I personally think there's anything wrong with that, but bouldering is an activity that doesn't get far off the ground, thus more people are going to see and hear what you're doing if you're only 5 feet off the ground as opposed to being roped up 300 ft off the deck. And as in every crowd, a few loudmouthed obnoxious people can get an overall behaved crew a bad name.

And please don't flame me for this observation, but I see more bragging and flame waring among boulderers on this site than any other area. You don't see aid climbers bashing back and forth about whether they used a hook or a leeper cam on a move, but you often see big time wars going on about what's a real V3 and how there's no way someone climbed a v8, etc. Just an observation.

Wow. You just replied to an 8 year old post by a poster that hasn't been on this site in over 2.5 years. I wonder if that's a record.

Partner cracklover

Nov 30, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #199 of 215 (15615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] why do people bash bouldering so much?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
raistros wrote:
In reply to:

Wow. You just replied to an 8 year old post by a poster that hasn't been on this site in over 2.5 years. I wonder if that's a record.

Not only that, but I think special recognition should go to this guy because A - it's his first post on RC.com, and B - he dredged up this ancient thread... to add absolutely no original thoughts. Basically his post can be summed up as "I dunno if it's bad or good. I guess it's personal preference."

Wow. Been saving up your first post for that?

GO

SylviaSmile

Nov 30, 2011, 6:37 PM
Post #200 of 215 (15572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] why do people bash bouldering so much?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
raistros wrote:
In reply to:

Not only that, but I think special recognition should go to this guy because A - it's his first post on RC.com, and B - he dredged up this ancient thread... to add absolutely no original thoughts. Basically his post can be summed up as "I dunno if it's bad or good. I guess it's personal preference."

Wow. Been saving up your first post for that?

GO

Heehee, you just can't win here. I mean, he could have started a new topic wondering why people bash bouldering, and gotten slammed for not doing a search. I say, good job resurrecting the old post. Maybe it IS personal preference! Maybe competition is bad . . . maybe bouldering is bad? Who knows, but clearly people are still talking about it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook