Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
A kind farewell to adatesman
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All


locke


Aug 17, 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #51 of 128 (2509 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 11, 2003
Posts: 5

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (15 ratings)  
Can't Post

Come on Curt keep on showing how vindictive and small you really are.

Middle school playground bullies don't grow up they just find website to rule.

Whatever did they do before the internet existed?


A kind farewell to Adatesman from a long time reader.


majid_sabet


Aug 17, 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #52 of 128 (2450 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8328

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (14 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
curt wrote:
suprasoup wrote:
the_climber wrote:
healyje wrote:
I clearly missed something, what the fuck went down that would cause Aric to leave?

Holy Fuck I must have missed something too.

If this is the real deal... Aric, should you end up on the Canadian side of the border, drop me a line (doesn't matter if it's for beers or climbs). the_climber at hotmail dot com

What the Crap!! Not sure what went down Aric but I appreciate all the hard work you did in The Lab.

Supra

Supra,

Aric is gone because he has childishly decided to leave RC.com (and take all his content with him) after being reprimanded and then relieved of his duties as a moderator for abusing both his authority and some of the site users here. I also appreciate all the work Aric put into the Lab Forum--but to feel sorry for him is, in my opinion, way off route.

Curt

Two things:

1. This is stretching the truth to within an inch of breaking point.
2. With all that's gone on over the last couple of days, was that really necessary?

I know you're at least 20 years my senior - but seriously, grow up.

1. My above summary for Supra is completely factually correct. Since you supposedly employ the scientific method for a living, I can't believe that you of all people, still support Aric. Open your eyes, go back to the "Suggestions & Feedback" forum and re-read ddt's comments on why he took the particular actions he did.

2. Was my post necessary? I'm not sure, but I'm certainly not going to let people continue to have the mistaken impression that Aric was somehow a victim in this mess. He caused this mess. And in fact, because he has willfully screwed up the usefulness of the "Lab" forum, he is the only person involved in this entire fiasco who has acted with malice and intent to do harm.

Curt

A circuit does not blow a fuse unless someone overload the device. you boys did a good job cranking the power till sh*t fell apart and now we have to suffer over some elementary level BS.


trapdoor


Aug 17, 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #53 of 128 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 27, 2003
Posts: 183

Re: [dynosore] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
climboard wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Have to disagree. His "contributions" were minimal at best and in some cases potentially harmful. Unfortunately Aric seldom understood the limitations of his knowledge, which often resulted in ill-conceived tests and/or poor interpretations of the results. Like much of pseudoscience, it sounds reasonable to the uninformed. And he'd get overly defensive when errors were pointed out. In the long run, this forum is truly better off without Aric.

So are you volunteering to pick up the reins since you obviously can do better?

I have to agree with roy here. I think Aric was well intentioned but misguided a bit. I have 16 years in materials science, including overseeing QA labs for a Fortune 50 company, so I know a few things about testing. Aric's methodology, equipment, and interpretation of data left me cringing many times. The homemade cam competition etc. was a great idea however. He must have his reasons for deleting all his posts, but it does leave a mess.

I concur.


curt


Aug 17, 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #54 of 128 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [majid_sabet] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
curt wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
curt wrote:
suprasoup wrote:
the_climber wrote:
healyje wrote:
I clearly missed something, what the fuck went down that would cause Aric to leave?

Holy Fuck I must have missed something too.

If this is the real deal... Aric, should you end up on the Canadian side of the border, drop me a line (doesn't matter if it's for beers or climbs). the_climber at hotmail dot com

What the Crap!! Not sure what went down Aric but I appreciate all the hard work you did in The Lab.

Supra

Supra,

Aric is gone because he has childishly decided to leave RC.com (and take all his content with him) after being reprimanded and then relieved of his duties as a moderator for abusing both his authority and some of the site users here. I also appreciate all the work Aric put into the Lab Forum--but to feel sorry for him is, in my opinion, way off route.

Curt

Two things:

1. This is stretching the truth to within an inch of breaking point.
2. With all that's gone on over the last couple of days, was that really necessary?

I know you're at least 20 years my senior - but seriously, grow up.

1. My above summary for Supra is completely factually correct. Since you supposedly employ the scientific method for a living, I can't believe that you of all people, still support Aric. Open your eyes, go back to the "Suggestions & Feedback" forum and re-read ddt's comments on why he took the particular actions he did.

2. Was my post necessary? I'm not sure, but I'm certainly not going to let people continue to have the mistaken impression that Aric was somehow a victim in this mess. He caused this mess. And in fact, because he has willfully screwed up the usefulness of the "Lab" forum, he is the only person involved in this entire fiasco who has acted with malice and intent to do harm.

Curt

A circuit does not blow a fuse unless someone overload the device. you boys did a good job cranking the power till sh*t fell apart and now we have to suffer over some elementary level BS.

Right. That's just like some guy telling his girlfriend/wife that "you made me hit you."

Curt


Partner robdotcalm


Aug 17, 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #55 of 128 (2405 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2002
Posts: 1023

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks Aric for your contributions to the site and good luck as you move on.

r.c


notapplicable


Aug 17, 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #56 of 128 (2386 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17752

Re: [robdotcalm] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've said it several times in the past and it's my pleasure to say it again here. The lab became a much more interesting and informative place once Aric became so active. In spite of what a few have said, his contributions were highly valued by those who posted here.

Best wishes and thanks Aric. Sorry it all went so sideways.


curt


Aug 17, 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #57 of 128 (2381 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [trapdoor] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

trapdoor wrote:
dynosore wrote:
climboard wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Have to disagree. His "contributions" were minimal at best and in some cases potentially harmful. Unfortunately Aric seldom understood the limitations of his knowledge, which often resulted in ill-conceived tests and/or poor interpretations of the results. Like much of pseudoscience, it sounds reasonable to the uninformed. And he'd get overly defensive when errors were pointed out. In the long run, this forum is truly better off without Aric.

So are you volunteering to pick up the reins since you obviously can do better?

I have to agree with roy here. I think Aric was well intentioned but misguided a bit. I have 16 years in materials science, including overseeing QA labs for a Fortune 50 company, so I know a few things about testing. Aric's methodology, equipment, and interpretation of data left me cringing many times. The homemade cam competition etc. was a great idea however. He must have his reasons for deleting all his posts, but it does leave a mess.

I concur.

I'm not willing to fully jump on that bandwagon. While there is a germ of truth there, there is one unique thing that Aric brought to the party--and that was an incredible amount of energy, hard work and initiative. He may not have been the most knowledgable person on the site, but it will certainly be difficult to find anyone else who will put in the time and energy he did to conduct the testing, etc. In my opinion, that is what will be missed--and I will miss it too.

Curt


ClimbClimb


Aug 17, 2010, 1:20 PM
Post #58 of 128 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Posts: 387

Re: [cracklover] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
All that being as it may, this is far from the time or place, unless you truly feel that Aric deserves to have you personally strip him of any and all recognition others of us would like to express.
+1


ClimbClimb


Aug 17, 2010, 1:21 PM
Post #59 of 128 (2330 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Posts: 387

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
... there is one unique thing that Aric brought to the party--and that was an incredible amount of energy, hard work and initiative. He may not have been the most knowledgable person on the site, but it will certainly be difficult to find anyone else who will put in the time and energy he did to conduct the testing, etc. In my opinion, that is what will be missed--and I will miss it too.

+1


johnwesely


Aug 17, 2010, 1:25 PM
Post #60 of 128 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [ClimbClimb] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

PC+2 for ClimbClimb


boymeetsrock


Aug 17, 2010, 1:27 PM
Post #61 of 128 (2318 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1708

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well said Curt, and spot on.


blondgecko
Moderator

Aug 17, 2010, 1:51 PM
Post #62 of 128 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 2, 2004
Posts: 7666

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
curt wrote:
suprasoup wrote:
the_climber wrote:
healyje wrote:
I clearly missed something, what the fuck went down that would cause Aric to leave?

Holy Fuck I must have missed something too.

If this is the real deal... Aric, should you end up on the Canadian side of the border, drop me a line (doesn't matter if it's for beers or climbs). the_climber at hotmail dot com

What the Crap!! Not sure what went down Aric but I appreciate all the hard work you did in The Lab.

Supra

Supra,

Aric is gone because he has childishly decided to leave RC.com (and take all his content with him) after being reprimanded and then relieved of his duties as a moderator for abusing both his authority and some of the site users here. I also appreciate all the work Aric put into the Lab Forum--but to feel sorry for him is, in my opinion, way off route.

Curt

Two things:

1. This is stretching the truth to within an inch of breaking point.
2. With all that's gone on over the last couple of days, was that really necessary?

I know you're at least 20 years my senior - but seriously, grow up.

1. My above summary for Supra is completely factually correct. Since you supposedly employ the scientific method for a living, I can't believe that you of all people, still support Aric. Open your eyes, go back to the "Suggestions & Feedback" forum and re-read ddt's comments on why he took the particular actions he did.

2. Was my post necessary? I'm not sure, but I'm certainly not going to let people continue to have the mistaken impression that Aric was somehow a victim in this mess. He caused this mess. And in fact, because he has willfully screwed up the usefulness of the "Lab" forum, he is the only person involved in this entire fiasco who has acted with malice and intent to do harm.

Curt

No, Aric was not "reprimanded and then relieved of his duties as a moderator for abusing both his authority and some of the site users here." The initial action which triggered all this off was (1) not his decision, and (2) while perhaps a little hasty in this case, well within normal mod actions and incredibly minor in its consequences (under sane conditions, at least). He has not been and will not be reprimanded for this. Your banning from The Lab came about because you posted inflammatory and off-topic comments about his actions in a highly-moderated forum, and continued to do so after being told to stop. Again, this was done with our full support.

Aric's degreening came about because (1) he requested it, and (2) he proved unable to rise above the fray and instead of stepping back or trying to defuse the situation, participated in its escalation.

Those are the facts. Now, in the spirit of the OP:

Aric, I'm really sorry to see you go - especially like this. No, your experimental methods weren't always quite up to par, but in all the cases I saw they were good enough to get the message across without dangerous flaws. What you brought is something I suspect will not be seen here again for quite a while - a near-boundless enthusiasm and energy, and a willingness to shell out large amounts of your own money and time.

Look after yourself, ok?


hafilax


Aug 17, 2010, 2:10 PM
Post #63 of 128 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 11, 2007
Posts: 3025

Re: [blondgecko] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Aric, I really appreciated all of your hard work and the fact that you were willing to stick your neck out and take on CCH's quality control issues. It took balls and dedication. Unfortunately, it seemed, to me at least, that the green jacket of mod-dom never really fit with your personality which has now all come to a head.

Keep breaking stuff, designing gear and I hope you find a good home for your results.


soNVclimbing


Aug 17, 2010, 3:18 PM
Post #64 of 128 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 21, 2009
Posts: 40

Re: [hafilax] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks again Aric for all that you have done.

Thanks especially for taking time out of your day to test, break and log the data on my homemade cam (even though I missed the deadline.) I learned a great deal from the information you have provided.

Homemade cam comp. look out for me next year. Oh wait no adatesman, no comp, this sux.


curt


Aug 17, 2010, 3:19 PM
Post #65 of 128 (2204 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [blondgecko] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
No, Aric was not "reprimanded and then relieved of his duties as a moderator for abusing both his authority and some of the site users here."

Aric's degreening came about because (1) he requested it, and (2) he proved unable to rise above the fray and instead of stepping back or trying to defuse the situation, participated in its escalation...

Whatever you say, Tristan

ddt on August 12 wrote:
And then finally, back to this case: I've temporarily relieved adatesman of his duties pending further conversation with him about his future as a moderator.

and:

ddt on August 13 wrote:
Many have asked why I would allow a contributor like Aric to be "pushed" off this site, while not taking any action against those who did the "pushing", so I'd like to offer a brief explanation.

Let me start by clarifying why I relieved Aric of his status as a mod. Two reasons:

1. He requested it from me
2. Earlier in this thread he posted a blatant personal attack on another user. Moderators are not above the rules.

Why no action against anyone else? Well, as far as I am aware, no one else violated any rules or regulations that warranted action. Sure, there were some harsh words, but all well within what I consider to be tolerable when applying the norms for "personal attack" and "abuse" on this site. Persistence in making heated arguments is no reason for action against a user, nor is our perceived "value" of someone as a contributor on the site or the degree to which we like or dislike them.

Curt


redlude97


Aug 17, 2010, 3:41 PM
Post #66 of 128 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2008
Posts: 988

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
No, Aric was not "reprimanded and then relieved of his duties as a moderator for abusing both his authority and some of the site users here."

Aric's degreening came about because (1) he requested it, and (2) he proved unable to rise above the fray and instead of stepping back or trying to defuse the situation, participated in its escalation...

Whatever you say, Tristan

ddt on August 12 wrote:
And then finally, back to this case: I've temporarily relieved adatesman of his duties pending further conversation with him about his future as a moderator.

and:

ddt on August 13 wrote:
Many have asked why I would allow a contributor like Aric to be "pushed" off this site, while not taking any action against those who did the "pushing", so I'd like to offer a brief explanation.

Let me start by clarifying why I relieved Aric of his status as a mod. Two reasons:

1. He requested it from me
2. Earlier in this thread he posted a blatant personal attack on another user. Moderators are not above the rules.

Why no action against anyone else? Well, as far as I am aware, no one else violated any rules or regulations that warranted action. Sure, there were some harsh words, but all well within what I consider to be tolerable when applying the norms for "personal attack" and "abuse" on this site. Persistence in making heated arguments is no reason for action against a user, nor is our perceived "value" of someone as a contributor on the site or the degree to which we like or dislike them.

Curt
How is posting a personal attack abusing authority? It is pretty clear from blondgecko's statement that Aric's "reprimand" was due to his asking to be relieved and for his comments about JT's stature.


curt


Aug 17, 2010, 4:10 PM
Post #67 of 128 (2155 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [redlude97] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
How is posting a personal attack abusing authority? It is pretty clear from blondgecko's statement that Aric's "reprimand" was due to his asking to be relieved and for his comments about JT's stature.

Sorry. I should have said "for a blatant personal attack on another user," (to use the exact language) which is certainly not something blondgecko mentioned.

However, Aric did abuse his authority by banning me from the "Lab" forum. According to ddt above:

ddt wrote:
...as I am aware, no one else violated any rules or regulations that warranted action. Sure, there were some harsh words, but all well within what I consider to be tolerable when applying the norms for "personal attack" and "abuse" on this site. Persistence in making heated arguments is no reason for action against a user...

Curt


(This post was edited by curt on Aug 17, 2010, 4:17 PM)


boymeetsrock


Aug 17, 2010, 4:22 PM
Post #68 of 128 (2142 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1708

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

Curt, give it a rest. There are plenty of other threads if you still have some reason to go on. Even Jay has stopped...


curt


Aug 17, 2010, 4:30 PM
Post #69 of 128 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [boymeetsrock] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
Curt, give it a rest. There are plenty of other threads if you still have some reason to go on. Even Jay has stopped...

Actually, you could stay out of it too. When I praised his contributions, you said this:

boymeetsrock wrote:
Well said Curt, and spot on.

...but when I try to show the other side of the coin, you complain. I will stop posting in this particular thread, however.

Curt


dingus


Aug 17, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #70 of 128 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2002
Posts: 17361

Re: [summerprophet] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
I would just like to wish Aric a kind sendoff, as he leaves this forum.

I for one, have always enjoyed his posts, and know the amount of effort that was put into his testing and well written posts. I am somewhat certain that I am not a minority in saying so. I fondly remember RC.com when it was a useful forum for sharing knowledge, and actually had a sense of community to it, and Aric's posts brought about meaningful conversations, and equipment analysis reminicent of those days.

Adatesman, if I ever meet you in person, I owe you a beer.

Toss me a PM if you find a better home to share your knowledge. You will be missed.

summerprophet

Justin Turnbull
Head Guide, Central Washington Climbing Guides
Vice President, Central Washington Mtn. Rescue


P.S. Please respect my wishes as the OP, and avoid replying in bad taste. There are other posts for that bullshit.

I'll have you know, I grew up on Turnbull Creek.

DMT


dingus


Aug 17, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #71 of 128 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2002
Posts: 17361

Re: [j_ung] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I started the Lab years ago as a single thread. I fought for it to become its own forum. But it wasn't until I "hired" adatesman to run it that I saw my humble idea blossom into more than I ever expected.

And, at the moment, it sits in ruins.

Such is 'Management Backing' at RC.com.

DMT


summerprophet


Aug 17, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #72 of 128 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 16, 2004
Posts: 764

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
I will stop posting in this particular thread, however.
Curt
Thank you


(This post was edited by summerprophet on Aug 17, 2010, 4:48 PM)


boymeetsrock


Aug 17, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #73 of 128 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1708

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
Curt, give it a rest. There are plenty of other threads if you still have some reason to go on. Even Jay has stopped...

Actually, you could stay out of it too.

This is a public forum. You have put your comments in public. I have a right to respond

In reply to:
When I praised his contributions, you said this:

boymeetsrock wrote:
Well said Curt, and spot on.

Because I agreed with your comment and the sentiment was fitting for this thread. I was pleased that you were able to put aside your disagreement and say something nice about Aric in this, the "a kind farewell to adatesman" thread. Good on you for that.

In reply to:
...but when I try to show the other side of the coin, you complain. I will stop posting in this particular thread, however.

Curt

Because this thread is expressly not about the other side of the coin. You have made your points, and are free to continue making them. The OP asked that they not be made here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook