Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All


enigma


Dec 15, 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #1 of 206 (21854 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jim Bridwell-City of Rocks-Idaho
Peter Croft-Joshua Tree
Scott Cosgrove-Joshua Tree, Lake Tahoe


bill413


Dec 15, 2010, 5:52 AM
Post #2 of 206 (21815 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Jim Bridwell-City of Rocks-Idaho
Peter Croft-Joshua Tree
Scott Cosgrove-Joshua Tree, Lake Tahoe

Myself. Various places.


airscape


Dec 15, 2010, 6:58 AM
Post #3 of 206 (21788 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4240

Re: [bill413] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

 
I once spotted someone at a crag that vaguely resembled Edmund Hillary with a sherpa.

It wasn't cold and snowing so I'm not sure.


Partner j_ung


Dec 15, 2010, 7:07 AM
Post #4 of 206 (21783 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18689

Re: [airscape] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
I once spotted someone at a crag that vaguely resembled Edmund Hillary with a sherpa.

It wasn't cold and snowing so I'm not sure.

It's unlikely that anybody that fat is a famous climber.

Edit: I climbed with camhead once.


(This post was edited by j_ung on Dec 15, 2010, 7:07 AM)


kachoong


Dec 15, 2010, 7:14 AM
Post #5 of 206 (21773 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

J_ung - NRG
Caughtinside and Justroberto - E-Rock
Zeke - Cochise


edge


Dec 15, 2010, 7:40 AM
Post #6 of 206 (21751 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (19 ratings)  
Can't Post

Edward Whymper on the Matterhorn. I was on the side of the rope where four of us fell to our deaths.



I was later reincarnated as a wasp and was living an idyllic life high on El Cap, but Warren Harding thought I was in the way of his Nose route and sent me and my friends to our maker.



Later I was reincarnated as a hop plant, but was harvested for beer and John Sherman got ahold of me.



In my most recent life I have been living as a devil-may-care connoisseur of flavored Cheerios and screw top Slim Fast shakes. This renewed interest in taking care of my body has resulted in me climbing with Chris Sharma. Here's a picture of me and Chris:



That's me, third from the left and two rows back on the upper balcony. Well, I was there but then I had to go to the bathroom, but I was that close to him.


airscape


Dec 15, 2010, 7:48 AM
Post #7 of 206 (21743 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4240

Re: [edge] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Edward Whymper on the Matterhorn. I was on the side of the rope where four of us fell to our deaths.

[image]http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/29/2941/HDXRD00Z/edward-whymper-we-saw-a-toe--it-seemed-to-belong-to-moore-the-ascent-of-the-matterhorn-whymper-c-1860.jpg[/image]

I was later reincarnated as a wasp and was living an idyllic life high on El Cap, but Warren Harding thought I was in the way of his Nose route and sent me and my friends to our maker.

[image]http://www.thehoneygatherers.com/images3.1/stock/Anglais/14Bees-Nepal-Hunters/Bees-Nepal-Hunters40.jpg[/image]

Later I was reincarnated as a hop plant, but was harvested for beer and John Sherman got ahold of me.

[image]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2618/3905161296_59a005ecf5.jpg[/image]

In my most recent life I have been living as a devil-may-care connoisseur of flavored Cheerios and screw top Slim Fast shakes. This renewed interest in taking care of my body has resulted in me climbing with Chris Sharma. Here's a picture of me and Chris:

[image]http://www.susanica.com/photos/79113696147be0a6310133_f.jpg[/image]

That's me, third from the left and two rows back on the upper balcony. Well, I was there but then I had to go to the bathroom, but I was that close to him.

You are a climbing legend.

I like.


erisspirit


Dec 15, 2010, 4:16 PM
Post #8 of 206 (21667 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 3766

Re: [airscape] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
edge wrote:
Edward Whymper on the Matterhorn. I was on the side of the rope where four of us fell to our deaths.

[image]http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/29/2941/HDXRD00Z/edward-whymper-we-saw-a-toe--it-seemed-to-belong-to-moore-the-ascent-of-the-matterhorn-whymper-c-1860.jpg[/image]

I was later reincarnated as a wasp and was living an idyllic life high on El Cap, but Warren Harding thought I was in the way of his Nose route and sent me and my friends to our maker.

[image]http://www.thehoneygatherers.com/images3.1/stock/Anglais/14Bees-Nepal-Hunters/Bees-Nepal-Hunters40.jpg[/image]

Later I was reincarnated as a hop plant, but was harvested for beer and John Sherman got ahold of me.

[image]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2618/3905161296_59a005ecf5.jpg[/image]

In my most recent life I have been living as a devil-may-care connoisseur of flavored Cheerios and screw top Slim Fast shakes. This renewed interest in taking care of my body has resulted in me climbing with Chris Sharma. Here's a picture of me and Chris:

[image]http://www.susanica.com/photos/79113696147be0a6310133_f.jpg[/image]

That's me, third from the left and two rows back on the upper balcony. Well, I was there but then I had to go to the bathroom, but I was that close to him.

You are a climbing legend.

I like.

+1

Michael Reardon - Malibu Creek


majid_sabet


Dec 15, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #9 of 206 (21636 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8363

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last two climbers I climbed with were Jim Donnini and Jack Tackle in Tetons and these guys are awesome. Hopefully we are going to do FA next year but I can't talk about it here.

I also had dinner with yvon chaunard,chat with Dean potter and few other people here and there and climbed with few famous sherpas in Himalayas who were part of the David Breashears IMAX Everest movie crew few years back.ohh yaa, I ran in to Conrad Anckor on Tetons as well but you guys do not think he is that famous.just kidding,Ron Kauk is cool dude.


(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Dec 16, 2010, 9:55 AM)


potreroed


Dec 15, 2010, 8:47 PM
Post #10 of 206 (21569 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2001
Posts: 1453

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm too lazy to type out the whole list.


skiclimb


Dec 15, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #11 of 206 (21555 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 11, 2004
Posts: 1936

Re: [potreroed] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The climbing world is small. If you participate for a while you will meet many climbers that are published about.

In passing or actually have conversations and occasionally maybe do some climbing together.

Especially if you hang out in a few of the places most serious climbers eventually go.

I can't think of a single notable climber I have met who wasn't friendly and interesting to talk to when I have had the chance. And the few I have climbed with I had good experiences.


caughtinside


Dec 15, 2010, 9:27 PM
Post #12 of 206 (21549 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 30429

Re: [j_ung] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
airscape wrote:
I once spotted someone at a crag that vaguely resembled Edmund Hillary with a sherpa.

It wasn't cold and snowing so I'm not sure.

It's unlikely that anybody that fat is a famous climber.

Edit: I climbed with camhead once.

I climbed with camhead too!


majid_sabet


Dec 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #13 of 206 (21522 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8363

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

 

Jim Bridwell




charlie_benton


Dec 15, 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #14 of 206 (21498 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 4, 2005
Posts: 25

Re: [majid_sabet] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Here are my most memorable 'Star Struck' moments.

I used to climb with Mike Reardon all the time (if you count getting lapped multiple times in a row at Tahquitz).

John Gill gave me a spot at Mt. Woodson a while back. I wrote him off as crazy when he told me he had 'invented' chalk...

Willie Benegas freed my 'fixed cam' (according to my partner) on the first pitch of Open Book and returned it to me 20 minutes later on top.


(This post was edited by charlie_benton on Dec 15, 2010, 11:59 PM)


climbingtrash


Dec 16, 2010, 5:25 AM
Post #15 of 206 (21452 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 4822

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Did an FA in noiZ with God...but I never really saw him. But he was there, because every pitch my buddy lead he talked to God the whole time..."God, that placement sucks! God this pitch iz dirty! God, I'm outta Gear! God, send up the drill!"


sungam


Dec 16, 2010, 6:24 AM
Post #16 of 206 (21432 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Chossmonkey once threw a nalgene full of his piss at some goats that were trying to eat my tent.


boymeetsrock


Dec 16, 2010, 6:57 AM
Post #17 of 206 (21415 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1709

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've only climbed with Infamous climbers: GMBurns and ADatesman.

FWIW I thought they were both very nice.


kachoong


Dec 16, 2010, 7:17 AM
Post #18 of 206 (21406 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [boymeetsrock] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (19 ratings)  
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
I've only climbed with Infamous climbers: GMBurns and ADatesman.

FWIW I thought they were both very nice.

Dialogue ensued:

BMR- "Let's try this 10c roof"

Burnz- "Looks runout"

BMR- "Nah, it's all good, bomber gear"

Aric- "I'll bounce-test your placements"

Burnz- "I'll take pics for you from down here"

BMR- "I assure you there's plenty of bomber gear"

Aric- "Lemmie calculate the rope angles around the lip"

Burnz- "It's getting cold, you guys go for it"

Aric- "But you're the heaviest, the bounce tests work best under intense blort"

BMR- "I'm not testing anything, let's just climb it"

Burnz- "It's too cold and consensus is it's PG13"

Aric- "Well, if we're not testing, I'm taking my stuff and I'm going home!"


(This post was edited by kachoong on Dec 16, 2010, 8:01 AM)


airscape


Dec 16, 2010, 7:36 AM
Post #19 of 206 (21395 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4240

Re: [kachoong] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
I've only climbed with Infamous climbers: GMBurns and ADatesman.

FWIW I thought they were both very nice.

Dialogue ensued:

BMR- "Let's try this 10c roof"

Burnz- "Looks runout"

BMR- "Nah, it's all good, bomber gear"

Aric- "I'll bounce-test your placements"

Burnz- "I'll take pics for you from down here"

BMR- "I assure you there's plenty of bomber gear"

Aric- "Lemmie calculate the rope angles around the lip"

Burnz- "It's getting cold, you guys go for it"

Aric- "But you're the heaviest, the bounce tests work best under intense blort"

BMR- "I'm not testing anything, let's just climb it"

Burnz- "It's too cold"

Aric- "Well, if we're not testing, I'm taking my stuff and I'm going home! and deleting the transcripts of this conversation"

fix


sungam


Dec 16, 2010, 7:57 AM
Post #20 of 206 (21375 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [kachoong] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

HAH!
Harsh, but true.


granite_grrl


Dec 16, 2010, 9:48 AM
Post #21 of 206 (21341 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14831

Re: [caughtinside] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
j_ung wrote:
airscape wrote:
I once spotted someone at a crag that vaguely resembled Edmund Hillary with a sherpa.

It wasn't cold and snowing so I'm not sure.

It's unlikely that anybody that fat is a famous climber.

Edit: I climbed with camhead once.

I climbed with camhead too!
I climbed with that jerk too.

I eventually pawned him off on my husband and climbed with clausti instead.


boymeetsrock


Dec 16, 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #22 of 206 (21290 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1709

Re: [kachoong] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'm on the phone with IT now to get a new keyboard. Them I'm going to go make a fresh cup of coffee. I blame you. Sly


England


Dec 16, 2010, 1:10 PM
Post #23 of 206 (21267 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Posts: 13

Re: [boymeetsrock] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My climbing partner, and neighbor is Jimmie Dunn.


danabart


Dec 17, 2010, 5:01 AM
Post #24 of 206 (21186 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 23, 2004
Posts: 158

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Everybody has to be somewhere.


camhead


Dec 17, 2010, 6:04 AM
Post #25 of 206 (21172 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20760

Re: [kachoong] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
J_ung - NRG
Caughtinside and Justroberto - E-Rock
Zeke - Cochise

Caughtinside? The guy who wrote that article on the front page?!

I climbed with J_ung once at his local roadcut.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.96 (10% off)
$62.96 (10% off)
$11.66 (10% off)
$76.46 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook