Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Belayer (almost) Bit by Rattler at Granit Point, WA!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elvislegs

Jul 1, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #26 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Re: Belayer (almost) Bit by Rattler at Granit Point, WA!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Elvislegs, Almost got bit where? Granite Point, or somewhere there in Idaho?!

No, sorry for the misunderstanding, up at Table Rock in Boise.

billcoe_

Jul 4, 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #27 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 2nd favorite rattler story takes place at Smith Rock with the late Dave Hespereth.

I was guiding that day, including Dave as a client, who was an incredibly strong, well rounded outdoorsperson. I always liked guiding guys like that, who could get up 5.10 trad with ease, but most interesting was the fact that Dave had a Hugh Herr style metal leg on his right leg, having lost it previously for some reason or another. Didn't seem to slow him down climbing however.

We decide to go up Koala rock area to get away from the crowds and see if there was a breeze (there was). We finished for the day and are toasted and tired, walking down the remote Burma road when.......... Zap, like electricity we hear the disgruntled and angry rattling sound. Sure enough, a huge 7' Rattler (this is a typical western Diamondback, they grow 2" everytime somebody tells this story, since this was years ago and it really was a fat snake, abeit about 4' long in reality), anyway, this 7'2" snake rears up and rattles right next to Dave. Everybody freezes EXCEPT Dave, who is the closest, he fairly quickly pulls his painters pants up to reveal a Metal pole where a leg normally is: Says Dave, "Go ahead you son of a bitch and see where it gets you".

Dave drowned about 6 months later while kayaking on the Salmon river when it was at huge flood stage, he was a good guy, and from all accounts a real kick assed kayaker: Well, he was a good enough fella that the rattler made peace and left him alone.

This is a true story, but I'd forgotten about it until right now. Like most wersterners, I have a staple of about 20 snake stories, best told around the fire after a couple of beers.

Bill

billcoe_

Mar 5, 2005, 5:55 AM
Post #28 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little girl found a rattler IN the camp 4 area at Yosemite. I saw this monster, it was almost as long as this little kid. Probably showed up to eat those nuisance squirels.

She got a ranger and he hauled it off. Might have put it at the base of El Cap for all I know, seem to have a few up that way.

chemicalclimber

Mar 5, 2005, 7:15 AM
Post #29 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey elvislegs, what is the season for rattlers around the black cliffs? I imagine pretty much now until late fall? I think I want to watch my step a bit better when I walk up tomorrow.... :shock:

over_the_hill

Mar 5, 2005, 7:20 AM
Post #30 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a story for all of you. In 1988, I was bitten by a rattlesnake. Not a fun experience to be sure. The damn thing struck me on the back side of my left calf, as I was running down a trail. At fist, I thought that some brush had "whipped" me ( the trail was very overgrown), then I saw the strange marks on my leg. As I stopped to look back up the trail, I saw the snake recoil and start to rattle. ( insert you favorite swear words here) I thought, now what??? All alone. Still a mile from the car. NO ONE knows I am here!! No first aid kit. No cell phone (like any climber could afford a cell phone in 1988). Nothing else to do other than get to the car and drive to help!! Within 15 minutes, my leg was suffering from severe "pins and needles". 20 minutes I lost the use of it. Since my car was a clutch car, I was now stuck in third gear. I made it all the way to an Insta-care facilty, where I received "immediate" treatment! The bitten area was severy swollen and white, much like someone had stuck a hard boiled egg under the skin. My body was profusly sweating, and I was going into shock. I had three seizures on the table, where my body tried to fold in half (back bends). Eventually, the seizures stopped, the fluid loss stopped, and the swelling subsided (six hours or so). I was sent home with strict instructions to be observed for the next 48 hours. The puncture wounds went black, and eventually healed after a year. Needless to say, not a fun day.

So, Having a bit of experience with rattlesnakes, I want to offer this advise to everyone:
1: Wear good sturdy approach shoes! (this would not have helped me though)
2: Keep your eyes peeled for possible areas snakes might be.
3: Do your best to avoid the snake, and it will try to avoid you too.
4: Always carry a first aid kit, and know what to to for a variety of wilderness emergencies.
5: Try to never travel alone. Aaron Ralston can vouch for this one.
6: If you are bitten, try to identify the species (or kill it), this will help your medical professionals with the proper treatment.
7: Know and respect your enviroment, and it will respect you too.

billcoe_

Mar 7, 2005, 3:23 AM
Post #31 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
6: If you are bitten, try to identify the species (or kill it), this will help your medical professionals with the proper treatment.

"(or kill it)" WTF? Sounds like if you had slowed down to "kill it" you would not be here today. Are you saying that a Western Diamondback" anti-venom is different than a "Sidewinders" or something similar, and that medical personel need this info? :?:

Throughout the West, rattlers are usually Western Diamondbacks, and unless you're looking at a Coral Snake climbing in Az, you got bit by a poisonous snake, it's a rattler: "rattler" isn't enough info for the Doctors?

Hmmm:shock:

PS, I'm working on my thread revival skills. :lol:

Regards:

bill

kubi

Mar 7, 2005, 3:26 AM
Post #32 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You don't skin dive around sharks with a steak in your pocket, so use the same logic in dealing with rattlers.

Wait....why would you skin-dive with a steak in your pocket around rattlers?

over_the_hill

Mar 7, 2005, 5:52 AM
Post #33 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes Bill, there is more than one species of rattlesnake in the west. Each snake has a different type of venom, and effects the body in different ways.

Try watching Venom ER on the animal planet channel. I am sure that you will learn a thing or two about venomous snakes in the west.

bandycoot

Mar 7, 2005, 7:25 AM
Post #34 of 34 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do trekking poles help with the rattler problem?

About the different poisons, the mojave rattler (can be found in J-Tree) can have quite a deadly neurotoxin in its poison. I think that I saw one out there once. Pretty little thing!

Josh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook