RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

olive

Apr 2, 2005, 7:06 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

injuries, anti-inflammatories and healing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,
Well, as a climber who is not a teen, I make sure that I am never without ibuprofen. I always thought, though, that taking anti-inflammatories not only decreased pain, but actually helped the healing of injuries as well, well by reducing the inflammation (and thus promoting blood flow to the area, I guess, but I am not sure of this). Anyway, due to a stupid shoulder injury (dont even ask how I got it) I went to the doctor yesterday. After she told me the usual (ice, rest etc.) I asked her whether she was going to prescribe anything. She said that there was new research which claims that NSAIDs prescribed by the clock actually might be preventing healing rather than helping it. Thus, she said, she was avoiding to prescribe NSAIDs by the clock, but saying only to take it if the pain is too bad. I told her that I thought NSAIDs helped the healing and she said "yes, that is what we thought too, before".

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you and ask whether any of you know anything about this. This might change my relationship with ibuprofen.

take care.

Partner kimgraves

Apr 2, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Re: injuries, anti-inflammatories and healing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

When I was lifting weights it was generally agreed that you should not take anti-inflammatories for soreness. That soreness was the natural effect of exercise and that you would short-circuit the recovery, and therefore strengthening, process by taking them.

My wife is currently going through a prolotherapy sequence for a torn rotator cuff. This is just a process where you artificially induce a "sore-ness". She was explicitly told not to take anti-inflammatories, as they would reduce the effects of the therapy.

Regards, Kim

justthemaid

Apr 3, 2005, 4:16 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also am being treated for a rotator cuff injury. I also developed some severe tendonitis at the same time. Doctor gave me 2 weeks of Motrin to deal with the inflamation from the tendonitis, but warned me to stop after the 2 weeks so the cuff can heal.

I had some minor surgery a year ago and my doctor said absolutely no Ibuprofin or other comperable drugs for 30 days PRIOR to the surgery, and 2 weeks following, because they are starting to see it slows healing.

It seems the medical world is starting to take this view. Damn them! I love Advil.

kman

Apr 5, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait at least 24 hours before taking anti-inflams...some inflammation is neccessary for healing to start. Use ice and painkiller for the first 24.

nuts_r_us

Apr 5, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I call BS. What are the data? Anybody have anything more than an opinion or personal experience (N=1)?

jgrierson

Apr 5, 2005, 5:32 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I call BS. What are the data? Anybody have anything more than an opinion or personal experience (N=1)?

Try the following links for a more scientific perspective.

I have use these drugs every day at work and research shows that the benefits far outway any potential disadvantages. But there are lots of opinions. Don't always believe what you hear. Look for the evidence and then decide. :wink:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...t&list_uids=15634827
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...t&list_uids=15161166

That gives you two conflicting views, none of you guys are wrong but think before changing your treatment plans

cbare

Apr 6, 2005, 6:34 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is research that both supports and does not support the use of NSAIDS for skeletal and soft tissue injuries. I think that the best thing to do is research your self and talk with your health care provider regarding what you want when faced with an injury. We know that NSAIDS do help with the pain and make us more comfortable and to some extent may help with the swelling,however, we also know that they can lead to problems with the gastrointestinal system (ulcers, bleeding, stomach upset) and the kidneys, (more common with long term use) and yes there is research that indicates that NSAIDS may lead to slower healing and other problems. The fact is, there is no magic cure for musculoskeletal injuries. Rest, time, and proper rehab will heal most injuries, but in some cases long term problems may linger (ie arthritis). So, it comes down to weighing the pros and cons and making up your own mind.

daisuke

Apr 6, 2005, 6:57 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

somewhat off the topic of if they help healing or not...

but you shouldn't be climbing if it hurts enough that you have to take NSAIDs, R&R is the only thing that is truly going to help you. What NSAIDs do is block the pain receptors and at the same time reduce swelling, so they're just muffling the effects of an injury, it only looks and feels better, but if you climb on it it's only going to get worse.

Also, NSAIDs build up in the body and it's a very bad idea to take them continously unless prescribed by a doctor or if you have no choice

oh and for those who don't follow the letters... NSAID = Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflamatory Drug.

bluenose

Apr 6, 2005, 1:47 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always been one to avoid any drug treatments for headaches and minor pains. The odd time when the pain is intolerable I've resorted to some tylenols or the like. I'm glad that there is finally some recognition that this NSAIDs aren't really a wonder drug to be used for every little thing that happens to you.

Jeff.

jcshaggy

Apr 6, 2005, 2:00 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try a lot of rest-about 6 weeks or so depending on the injury.

polishbob

Apr 10, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes i am sure you have pain and injuries due to NASIDS deficiency in your system! use your head. not only these drugs prevent proper healing, but cause about 18 000 deaths a year due to side effects.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook