RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

rockj13

May 10, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2212 views)
Shortcut

weight training to develop endurance?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello everyone, i have two 25 pound weights at home, does anybody know any good excersices i could do to develop endurance. Because whenever i am climbing a route i lose my energy. I climb about two times a week and still run out of energy.

jt512

May 10, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Re: weight training to develop endurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hello everyone, i have two 25 pound weights at home, does anybody know any good excersices i could do to develop endurance. Because whenever i am climbing a route i lose my energy. I climb about two times a week and still run out of energy.

Buy a dozen more 25-lb weights and mount them every few feet along your living room wall, and traverse these "holds" for at least 20 minutes of continuous movement. That should help.

-Jay

muncher

May 10, 2005, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spot on jt512, the only way to train endurance is to climb and climb alot. Think about it a little, what does lifting weights have in common with climbing? Not bloody much.

davidji

May 10, 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can build endurance from weight training, but it makes more sense to me to build strength from weight training, and build endurance from climbing.

A weight training program generally uses more than two fixed weights. For example, for progressive resistance training, you need to actually be able to increase the resistance.

That said people often find ways of getting a good workout from the limited equipment at their disposal. I used to get a pretty good workout from bodyweight execises. For those, progressive resistance involves eating large quantities of Krispy Kremes.

Dunno what kind of 25lb weights you have, but if they're the kind of plates you use on an olympic bar, with one smooth face, you can train your pinch grip by placing them together, smooth side out, and holding them in a pinch (be careful that your thumb directly faces your fingers: don't pinch with the side of your thumb). With some plates like that you can also pinch the "hub." Or you can hang your weights from pinch blocks (see http://www.ironmind.com, or make your own).

guangzhou

May 10, 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out John Long' "Work Out from Hell" article, it comes up on most web searches. It's also been recently modified, but I prefer the old regiment.

Weight lifting will build endurance for climbing, like any other sport, but should only be part of the program.

Remember that when you start a workout routine, you also need to increase your stretching routine. Of course, some will say that like weight lifting, stretching won’t help your climbing. After all, stretching resembles climbing so little.

See if you can pick up a couple more weights, and good luck.

Partner one900johnnyk

May 11, 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Think about it a little, what does lifting weights have in common with climbing?
i lift weights to get chicks and i climb to get chicks, what's so hard to put together?

scotchie

May 11, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Take a short sling and girth-hitch the dumbell handle. Clip a biner to the sling and to your gear loop. Then go climb with it for a couple hours. After you take the dumbell off you'll be amazed at how much more endurance you have, compared to when you were wearing it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook