RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

rboarderi

Feb 17, 2004, 5:19 PM
Post #1 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Peeling Fingers....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there any way to make the skin on my fingers stop peeling after I climb. The skin on my fingers just peels right off when I wash my hands or take a shower. I was told to wash my hands and use lotion after I climb so that they will not peel but that doesn't seem to work....

curt

Feb 17, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Re: Peeling Fingers.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there any way to make the skin on my fingers stop peeling after I climb. The skin on my fingers just peels right off when I wash my hands or take a shower. I was told to wash my hands and use lotion after I climb so that they will not peel but that doesn't seem to work....

Well, they're going to peel eventually no matter what you do. I mean--the dead skin eventually has to go somewhere. But, you can prevent some of the frequent peeling by using a better hand salve. For me, regular hand lotion just isn't good enough. Try "Burt's Bees" hand salve, or "Bag Balm" and see if that works better--it does for me. You can get these at most drug stores.

Curt

scubasnyder

Feb 17, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #3 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the same problem, mine peel all the time, im gonna go to a dermatologist, ill pm ya if i get any good information.

vertical_fever

Feb 17, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #4 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bag balm works well. Buy it at your local Walgreens store.
:D

greyicewater

Feb 17, 2004, 6:36 PM
Post #5 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

the same thing happens to me, i sometimes use a rough sponge and scrub... but that really sucks when you have a blister that opens up... it works when you just have peeling hands... and use soap too

vegastradguy

Feb 17, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #6 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my fingers shed their skin about twice a year. i'm currently in the middle of one....this time, its kind of annoying, since i seem to be losing at least a couple of layers.

maybe i'll try burts...it sure would be nice not to leave chunks of skin everywhere i go.....

grabngrip

Feb 17, 2004, 7:42 PM
Post #7 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there gonna peel until u build up calisus. but i agree about the berts bees. work great

gravy

Feb 17, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #8 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the Burt's Bees too, but I've swichted to this hemp stuff from The Body Shop. It's not too greasy but really hydrates and lasts a long time. Smells yummy too. Great on bagels.

gregtrammell

Feb 17, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #9 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

something that helps your fingers callus is to dip them in rubbing alcohol after climbing and when the skin starts to peal. it can sometimes be a little painful, but it will cause them to callus much quicker. if you don't want calluses go with the above listed lotions

bellatoris

Feb 18, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #10 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try aquaphor by eucarin or 8hr cream by elizabeth arden. both are greasy and take hrs to absorb completely but help healing tremendously; great for road trips and multi day climbing. you can also use an antibiotic ointment for your tips and take some ibuprofen prior to climbing to help diminish the pain. i have heard garlic really works well, and aloevera is not bad either. over the long run i have found that gold balm is by far the best skin moisturizer and absorbs immediately...absolutely incredible. of course, experiment and see what works for you.

axewielder

May 12, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #11 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my skin goes through cycles of peeling a lot to peeling not much
im not sure if they're too dry or too wet or what...

the cycle thing is annoying sometimes...the other day i was at a comp and i couldn't hold on to anything cuz of my skin just coming off while i was climbing, until later in the comp when it couldn't peel anymore and i suddenly had some friction

what's with the cycle thing?

sgorman

May 19, 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #12 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've never heard about that alcohol thing. that's pretty cool. has anyone else tried it, and can testify that it works? I might have to give it a shot.

As for me, I peel more when I climb less frequently. Over christmas break I didn't climb for about two weeks (plus it was cold and dry) and my fingers peeled like crazy. Now they're fine though.

nolan14

May 20, 2004, 2:45 AM
Post #13 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I havent expirienced peeling yet but it probly would be smart to keep your skin and flesh well hydrated while not greasy, the alchohal works ok too if you want to try that.

maww

May 20, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #14 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
maybe i'll try burts...it sure would be nice not to leave chunks of skin everywhere i go.....

That's so gross but it's terribly funny. I have a mental image of chunks of dead skin laying around a work desk!! Too funny.

I am having the same issue - my skin is slowly peeling. I lotion up a few times a day and it seems to help. I don't really care if I get blisters, calluses and peeling skin though..no one holds my hand ever so I am the only one who notices. :)

trenchdigger

May 20, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #15 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do they look kinda like this?
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=31914

I've heard the climb-on bars are good. My mom makes this hand lotion/balm stuff out of beeswax, almond oil, vitamin e, and some other misc ingredients. It works great for me when my tips are destroyed.

~Adam~

sawdust

May 20, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #16 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angle grinder or belt sander will do the trick. The belt sander would be preferrable - angle grinder might tend to burn a bit - they have a much higher rpm.

Welcome to climbing.

imcrystalandiclimb

Jun 1, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #17 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you peel you know you are doing what you are suppose to.

feral_raccoon

Jun 1, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #18 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaaaaaaaw, you poor little boyz with peeling fingers :(
I’m shedding big raccoon tears for your poor little finger-wingers…
How ghastly to be peeling, how absolutely intolerable….
This is a crisis beyond all proportions….
You must all call your mommies immediately and ask them what to do…
Because obviously you can’t just get on with your lives and ignore your peeling fingers, or just gnaw the dead skin off like a feral raccoon would….

nich_popsicle

Jun 1, 2005, 2:30 AM
Post #19 of 19 (4612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMG, raccoon, I was totally waiting for someone to pipe up with something like that :lol: . If no one did it, I was going to intervene, hahahahahaha. Yeah, let's think about this, when you climb you grind your fingers into coarse stone (or plastic, but that doesn't count :wink: ) for hours on end, usually with your hands coated in a substance designed to suck any moisture out of your skin.

WHAT ON EARTH do you expect to happen? If your mommy doesn't like holding your hand when you cross the street, wear gloves :roll: . Honestly, unless your hands look like the GIRL in the picture posted (don't hear HER complaining, do you??), quit your belly-aching, and sack up...

When my fingers start to get a little rough around the edges, I gnaw off the offending flaps, and trim up what's left with a sharpened rusty spoon :shock: (ok ok, actually the scissors from one of those really small swiss army knives, they work GREAT)...

Unless you are some kind of hand model, peeling fingertips should be the least of your worries... I say just learn to live with it, and besides, deep down, chicks dig men with rough hands :D

-N

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook