RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

bcrichwarlock

Jun 3, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2075 views)
Shortcut

One arm pullups training ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hy i started climbing not to long ago... i mostly am a bodybuilder tho but anyways.. since seeing a bodybuilder doing one arm pullups is slim to none.. i was wondering how you climbers train for them . ive been doing cross-overs with my bodyweight(150 lbs) + 90 to 100 pound attach to my waist ... ive been doing pullups with only 2 finger each hands(doing them in a pyramid type of way) i cant seem to pull my entire bodyweight with one arm.. i can only go half the way i cant rise my chin above the bar... any advice ?

diabolix

Jun 3, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Re: One arm pullups training ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ain't no bodybuilder dude, but I have justed started training and my big problem was pulling through the right angles. I could pull up to that and be fine. I could also work above it. But doing a full pullup hanging loose all the way to chin over bar, I needed to do a lot of lock-offs.

I think the best thing I did was start with my chin above the bar and lower myself as slowly as possilbe. Once again I felt all the pressure in that same trouble spot. I found that once I could lower myself completely and smoothly at the same pace, I had no problem doing the pullup.

Do the same thing with one arm but hold onto a towel lossely wrapped around the bar with the other hand. Center you weight under the arm your working and use the other for balance.

$50 metolius rock rings make this easier with the different holds on them. plus it feels like rock and will get you callused. The jugs on top are much better than just a bar. as open grip strength translates to crimp strength but not the other way around. a bar is too crimpy.

Hope that helps.
oh and I weigh 190 nothing attached. I was burining like crazy in no time.

Partner rgold

Jun 3, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've made a few posts on the subject. Both include warnings, which you will probably hear a lot more of, that the value of one-arm pullups to real climbing is highly questionable. Anyway, the two most relevant are this and this.

I've recently found a very good system for doing uneven pullups: rings suspended from automobile tie-down straps. These straps have a friction buckle that allows you change the distance between the rings with ease. This gets around the usual drawback of uneven pullups, namely that there is limited ability to adjust this distance as you get stronger. I own a commercial version, power rings that seems pricey at $90.

Rings also allow you to work front levers from an inverted hang; a much better set-up than anything you can do with a bar.

You could substitute rock rings and buy the tie-down straps at any auto supply store. For me, it is better to train hands and pullups separately, (therefore using rings for the pullup workout) because the pullups already carry a significant risk of epicondylitis (elbow pain), which is only magnified as the grip is stressed.

overlord

Jun 4, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are several ways to train...

a) weighed pullups. self explanatory

b) negative reps. basicly do a normal pullup, release one arm and try to hold.

c) wrap a towel arond the pullupbar (or a thick rope or have more than one pullupbar at different heights). that was one arm does more work than the other.

d) frenchies: you do normal pullups but pause at different points. some pause at the top, middle and bottom, others even in the halfway points between those positions. those are mostly used to train lockoff strength though.

as yore a bodybuilder ill assume you know the importance of warming up and stuff like that so i wont preach.

i dont usually do these excercises. i normally dont feel like doing pullups after a good climbing session and i really enjoy my restdays :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook