RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

mr_muffey

Jun 5, 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Wannabe fireman
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I guess I could go to the training forum but theres so much crap there that I dont have time to sift through. So, moving on...
Im training to be a fireman, so i have to get really strong. So im hiitting the gym 3 times a week. I want to kill two birds with one stone and get stronger for climbing aswell. What are some specific wrokouts that I can incorperate in to my current work out to help my climbing. Im a boulderer too, if that makes any difference to my perscribed workout...
Thanks

kachoong

Jun 5, 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wannabe fireman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

....Fill your pack with bricks and blankets and run up and down your nearest hill.... not thst you need much endurance for bouldering, but I'm sure some long distance training would help for your fireman training....

Partner phaedrus

Jun 5, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Technique & Training.

flamer

Jun 5, 2005, 9:24 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Re: phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What type of fire ?? Wild land or structural???
Big difference in how you train....

josh

mattmax45

Jun 6, 2005, 6:15 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard that if you strengthen your core, you can become very strong, The gym may only go so far, for your career path. Hear me out on this, go to the forest, find a dead tree, if possible, cut it into an eight foot length, make sures its at least 16 inch in diameter and train with it, carry it, pick it up and run with it, move it from side to side, if you get this down to the point we're its nothing then you have all the core strength you'll ever need in that profession. And what Kachoong said is a great piece of advice about the pack, that'll give you wind for the next century. Thats only if you want a little something more than the gym.

Goodluck passing the combat test, don't forget your BSI, scene size up and look, listen and feel. Remember things are different in the field, than text book.

They need more guys like you man, besafe, later. Matt

redpointron

Jun 6, 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try these exercises on for size...

1. c.p.r. in a linen closet. i promise you the real deal will never be like it was during your training in the red cross classroom.

2. real world fire station. pick 6 strangers to live in a house....and find out what happens when they start getting real. seriously, it's like having someone pick your spouse for you. you cannot take yourself too seriously and must be able to laugh at yourself -- if you can't you will not last too long.

3. wake up and run. set three alarm clocks for every two hours during the night. get up, hop in the car, drive (don't speed) to the local high school and do a few sprints. if you want instead, grab that pack kachoong had you fill with rocks and climb stairs at the local parking garage. then, go back to bed.

and as far as training goes...

technique can help you in many repects more than pure strength. i've been on the job (firefighting) for seven years and have taught for the past four. i am small, at a buck fifty, but have repeatedly shown that more can be done with less.

that being said, work it all. as others have said...core strength is important especially to prevent against back injuries. a guy named mike stefano has a book called "the firefighter's workout book". look it up or order it. it has some good, job specific exercises.

the fire service, like a football team, needs all sizes. i can get in some tight spaces and am much more comfortable hanging out a window than others.

good luck and if you have any specific questions feel free to p.m.

oh yeah, and don't listen to anything that flamer says... :wink:

regards.

r.r.

flamer

Jun 6, 2005, 3:43 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3. wake up and run. set three alarm clocks for every two hours during the night. get up, hop in the car, drive (don't speed) to the local high school and do a few sprints. if you want instead, grab that pack kachoong had you fill with rocks and climb stairs at the local parking garage. then, go back to bed.

That's frick'n funny!!! And pretty right on!!!

Oh and everything RR says about me is jaded...he's just jealous because I work for a real fire department... :twisted:

josh

reno

Jun 6, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
try these exercises on for size...

1. c.p.r. in a linen closet. i promise you the real deal will never be like it was during your training in the red cross classroom.

Agreed... there will come times when you think "Gee, this linen closet is a LOT bigger than the last time we had to do CPR." BT, DT.

In reply to:
2. real world fire station. pick 6 strangers to live in a house....and find out what happens when they start getting real. seriously, it's like having someone pick your spouse for you. you cannot take yourself too seriously and must be able to laugh at yourself -- if you can't you will not last too long.

Also yep.

In reply to:

Ron, you forgot to mention the rolling of the hoses, cleaning equipment, and doing paperwork.

In reply to:
i am small ... but have repeatedly shown that more can be done with less.

Something that the Redpointmomma will attest, I'm sure. :twisted:

In reply to:

LMAO.

adamtd

Jun 6, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best thing you ca do is train aerobically. The hardest part of the CPAT, and frankly, the job, is having endurance. The part that kills most people during the CPAT (if that's what the FD you're going for is using) is the stair climb followed by running with a 200' attack line. Most people get off the stair mill and find their legs rubbery and can't run. Really though, the CPAt isn't hard, you just have to work hard for 8 minutes and not break any of the rules.
Running stairs is very helpful, when I was in the fire academy we ran stairs all day long. Other than that, do resistance training, but focus on total body. You'll use all your muscles, pushing and pulling. Core strength is essential. Check out Michael Stefano's book 'The Firefighter Workout Book". He does a really good job with it and his systemic workouts are great for overall fitness.
A coupel of the excercises I focus on are the bent over bumbell row. , tricep extensions on a cable machine with rope (trains grip and triceps). The next exercise is task specific to pulling an attack lien off an engine, but stand at a 45 angle to a cable pull machine with a rope attached to it. Pull the weight towards you and across your chest, rotating you torso at eth same time. This will train your biceps, triceps, lats, and back at teh same time. I do this on both sides. It really strengthens the muscles used in a twisting motion, which can help prevent an injury. The next one, I'm not sure what to call it... but I start sitting on my knees a few feet from teh cable machine with the rope. Starting with my hands over my head and keeping my arms straight, I pull teh rope down and in front of me, all the way down to my thighs. This is great for training the muscles for pulling ceilings in overhaul.
Stafano's got some really good exercises, i higjly suggest getting his book.

mr_muffey

Jun 6, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers to all of you. Ive given myself 5 months to get fit enough. Im in pretty good shape but I can see i need to be better then that. Nothing like a challenge....

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook