RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

damon99

Jun 5, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

lower back pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yesterday I was climbing down from the rock, and I think I pulled my lower back muscule, or something, because whenever I sit, or bend to pick something from the floor getting sharp pain in my lower back. Should I just wait out a little bit (ofcourse, stop climbing for a week or so), go to the spa, get a massage, or go straight to the doctor, and pay shit load of money? and how to prevent this back problem in the future??

davidji

Jun 5, 2005, 3:49 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Re: lower back pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Should I just wait out a little bit (ofcourse, stop climbing for a week or so), go to the spa, get a massage, or go straight to the doctor, and pay s--- load of money? and how to prevent this back problem in the future??
If it isn't improving day by day, see a good chiropractor. Or you might want to see one right away. Another thing that might help is myofacial-release massage therapy. You can do both.

saphius

Jun 5, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can find a good chiropractor, I'd suggest seeing him right away. If it turns out to be something minor, good to know. If it’s no minor, he’ll either help you or point you in the right direction. You might want to ask about stretches and exercises you can do to prevent reoccurring injuries/to strengthen the area against future injury.

creemore

Jun 5, 2005, 5:06 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had some long lasting back pain (caused by climbing) that resolved only with acupuncture. I was doing every thing else before (physio, rest, stretch, meds, etc) and nothing really worked. 3 sessions of it and I was cured. She also recomends it in acute injuries, best time to manage pain is when it appears. Wasn't a believer of the therapy until I was draged there for my own good. Now i'm preaching it!!! Sometimes it won't work for a person, just like western medecin. Try whatever works.

Core exercise on your good and hard climbing days is a necessary evil to maintain muscle balance (i.e 3 sets of crunches, 3 set of push-ups). Works your pecs, triceps, front of the shoulders and abs They sometimes burn but if all day you used your biceps, all your back and legs, it is best for injurie prevention (less time off climbing :wink: ).

Creemore

landongw

Jun 13, 2005, 6:31 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get into a yoga class bro. you gotta stretch that sh*$ out.

nonick

Jun 13, 2005, 8:13 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From my experience back pain is best treated aggresively. You should see a doctor too in addition to a chiropractor.

ddk

Jun 13, 2005, 9:48 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a bit shaky about going to a chiropractor. They can cause more harm than good and should be considered a desperate measure and last resort. My advise would be to seek out an acupunturist first. No ill effects and the treatment can work miracles! Hope it come right!

climbingbetty22

Jun 13, 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #8 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a bit shaky about going to a chiropractor. They can cause more harm than good and should be considered a desperate measure and last resort. My advise would be to seek out an acupunturist first. No ill effects and the treatment can work miracles! Hope it come right!

I don't know where you are getting this information that a chiropractor can cause more harm then good. Several studies have shown chiropractic care to be the most cost effective and safe treatment for low back and neck pain. In addition, the worse thing that could happen to you in chiro's office has a 1 in 6 million chance of happening, whereas the latest numbers just on taking NSAIDs for that pain, are that you have a 1 in 4,500 chance fo dying from a GI bleed.

Interesting that you endorse acupuncture as well as chiropractic and acupuncture take a very similar approach to healing. In fact, you may not have noticed, but one's spine lays along a prominent meridian.

Besides, you're going to to tell a rock climber to not do something because its dangerous?

To the OP: take the advice of other people and start being seeing a chiropractor. Its the more conservative option. If you all you have is a strained muscle, they will be able to do some soft tissue work and if they have message therapists on staff, even better, because if its soft-tissue related, they will be able to do some amazing work for you. If your problem may happen to be beyond musculoskeletal in nature, or need more aggressive treatment, a good chiropractic will give you a referral to an MD who will better be able to help you.

Good luck, I hope you start feeling better soon!

corpse

Jun 13, 2005, 1:21 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are different chiropractors out there. Some dont' care about the true problem, and they don't WANT to educate you on how to make it better - they would rather give you back-cracking "treatment" sessions and send you on your way - these are the jokers to avoid!

My "chiropractor" will only do manual adjustments only when completely necessary. They employ many other methods of less-invasive therapy. massage therapy, electrical stimulation, light (infrared) therapy, to name a few. They have onsight exercise equipment and a physical therapist. This was the key for me - I called around looking for a chiropractor with an onsite PT. This way, once the chiro found out what problems I had with my back, the PT helped me work on those problems.

edit: My chiro uses a device called the ProAdjuster, which is pretty nifty. If a machine they gently poke onto each vertebrae, and it measures how much it moves. Based on the response, it will use a solenoid that taps on your vertebrae (varying speed and strength of the tap), and this is how they give me adjustments. It's fined tuned to each vertebrae, less scarey then having your body folded, and I feel it works better, for me. Do a search on google for ProAdjuster and read up on it. My chiro always uses that first, and depending on whats going on (like if my sacro-illiaic joint locks up), then he'll give me a manual adjustment.

The problem with my lower back pain (major tight muscles, muscles spasms), was greatly improved by improving some of my core strength. I works my abs and obliques alot, and also work on the pelvic floor muscles, and the other various muscles that run from my back, in and around my pelvis, in my legs - these are the muscles that all support your lower back. And of course, lots of stretching.

Another thing that can really help, is an inversion chair, much like an inversion table. I have one in my bedroom - I put the seatbelt on and invert (about 30* from being upside down) and stay like that for 15 minutes. this uses gravity to stretch you out from the waist down. And in the sitting position (unlike the inversion table), it ensures your spine is in the correct position. This not only allows the muscles in your back to gently stretch out, it allows fluid to get back into your discs. For people with degenerative discs and other stuff, the inversion can help since it allows more fluid back into the discs, thus more cushion to prevent those nerves from getting tweaker. I could go on and on about the inversion chairs, they help with so many back related things. It has just about cured my dad of is sciatic nerve problem (as his was BAAAAD), and he has back pain every 3-6 months, if that - and that was his ONLY treatment method.

kman

Jun 13, 2005, 1:55 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's MUSCLE pain forget about the chiro man. All he will do is crack you.

thorne
Deleted

Jun 13, 2005, 2:28 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

IMO it all depends on finding the right chiropractor. If they want you on a program, i.e. 2-3 times a week for six months to correct "long standing problems", then run away.

Ask around. Find someone who has been using the same chiropractor for several years. Look for one who fixes problems instead of looking for long term changes.

for right now - stretch your hamstrings and glutes. That always helps for me.

Partner sharpendguy

Jun 13, 2005, 2:31 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Acupuncture & yoga has always helped me in the past.

davidji

Jun 16, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If it's MUSCLE pain forget about the chiro man. All he will do is crack you.
I've had MUSCLE pain that wouldn't go way, until I saw the chiropractor. Like with other health practitioners, it's better to see a good one.

mgr

Jun 16, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At one time I had lower back pain. I even had muscle spasms in my back. Not fun! Since then I have tried to strenghen it by doing exercises that target the lower back. Just start slow and work your way up. I haven't had any problems with my back for some time now.

polishbob

Jul 7, 2005, 5:33 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like Quadrutus Lumbarum injury.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook