Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

decaf

Aug 6, 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #101 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Stoner Climber of All Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
THC is an opiate

Now I am by no means an expert on this but I believe opiate means derived from opium poppy (or poppy seeds) such as poppy tea, opium, heroin , morphine, percocet(sp), oxycontin, and a plethora of others.
THC is not an opiate as far as I know.

Also as for climbing stoned, I have been buildering and bouldering stoned. Never had any major differences there (other than we sat around a little more than we climbed).

I haven't done enough lead to have a chance yet but I probably will eventually smoke and climb. It's like doing anything sometimes you just have to pay more attention. I also find it easier to focus on somethings and I feel a little more loose while climbing. Could all be in my head but what the hell I enjoy it :)

d.ben
Deleted

Aug 6, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #102 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marijuana is not an opiate. OMG. It's a stimulant. WTF. Didn't you people have health class in highschool?

decaf

Aug 7, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #103 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if I would really call it a stimulant either.

Thought it is considered a appetite stimulant it also depresses other functions of the body.

Either way, Pot's not a drug.....it's just an attitude adjustment :)

howlermonkey

Aug 11, 2004, 7:59 AM
Post #104 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pywiak better check his sources before he spreads innuendo...Yerian is a very close friend of mine and told me just yesterday that John was sober as a judge for the BY, and had been for at least a year. He did emphatically state however that John was so focused on this route that his eyes just seemed to glow.

Partner rockrat511

Aug 11, 2004, 8:13 AM
Post #105 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THC is neither an oppiate nor a stimulant. It is a depressant and has similar outward affects on your body as alcohol and opiates but is not molecularly similar to any oppiate. A trademark sign that someone has taken any type of depressant is relaxation of the facial muscles do to the drug impairing the ability to control those muscles.

swede

Aug 11, 2004, 8:54 AM
Post #106 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If such shit is common among climbers in the US - itīs no wonder I am having trouble understanding some of the opinions floating around in this forum.

jcshaggy

Aug 11, 2004, 10:11 AM
Post #107 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone ever been to Malawi?Some good things happening there.I heard there is also a bit of climbing.

Anyway cool topic. I just chill at the crag and don't give a sh_t about what everybody is on.To each their own, and enjoy the ride!

Reach for the freakin' lasers!!!!

glowering

Aug 11, 2004, 1:44 PM
Post #108 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all about moderation.

To say 'you smoke pot, why don't you do steroids' is like saying 'you rock climb, why don't you free solo?'

Why would they make vaporizers and water pipes if (some) pot smokers didn't care about their health? And yes I know, water pipes serve another purpose too.

I know people who try to live their life stoned. Not good. I also know people who smoke a couple times of year at most.

I know people who have taken huge doses of any type of steroids they can get their hands on without thinking about their health. Not good. I also know people who had regular liver tests and taken just enough of specific types of steroids to get results while minimizing side effects.

Some drugs are more addictive than others. Some people have more addictive personalities than others. So if you drink 6 cups of coffee a day, you probably shouldn't try heroin.

It's the ignorant, hyprocritical "you do this, so you must be an addict" attitude that is lame. If you drink a beer once in a while are you an alcoholic? If you eat fast food once in a while are you obese?

I always felt the stupid "war on drugs" would have made sense if they just added one word to it: "the war on drug ABUSE".

howlermonkey

Aug 11, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #109 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Friend of mine went to Malawi recently - whatever you do there DO NOT SWIM IN THE LAKE! The water in infested with bilharzia, that causes a disease called schistosomiasis: http://www.escargot.ch/personel/schisto.htm.

I know you're in SA, but you may want to check some US gov't sites - The Center for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov/ before traveling to any 3rd world countries. Also check out the CIAs "World Fact Book" for useful and up to date travel information and warnings: http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

For up-to-date info from obscure places from people like you and me, check out the forums and postcards section at Lonely Planet: http://www.lonelyplanet.com

And be sure to tell us about the rock in Malawi!

lucas_timmer

May 22, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #110 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about climbing on coke or meth ???
That would probaply increase your performance A-LOT.

Ow and about all those stoned people in te U.S, it just shows that the war on drug DOESN'T decrease drug use but increases drug use.If you look at the only country in the world where it is alowed(My country :D ) it has 10x less marihuana users than in the U.S and 8x less than the U.K.

What a morron, that Bush guy...

rockmonkey24

May 24, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #111 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think this is funny because as i'm reading this thread there is a ad on the left side for a rehab clinic.

nedsurf

May 24, 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #112 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not true. the pioneers, i.e. Steck, Salathe, Robbins were pretty straight.
Warren was an alky. wasn't until the late sixties/early seventies that the Stonedmasters arrived.
So, when much of society was smoking up, tuning in, turning on, etc... the climbers were also doing the same. Sounds like its broader cultural thing, than just in the climbing community. Not to argue that climbers don't smoke, but because of this, it might not be BECAUSE they are climbers. :wink:

pmyche

May 24, 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #113 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I always felt the stupid "war on drugs" would have made sense if they just added one word to it: "the war on drug ABUSE".

Agreed. WOD is about as sensible as "Drug Enforcement Agency." Quite ironic, considering the whack-a-mole mentality involved. Who's writing this sterling nomenclature?

kydd76

Jun 28, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #114 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

every one who climbs stoned. The one haven the most fun.

knol

Jun 28, 2005, 6:31 PM
Post #115 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:evil:

being a stoner isnt a bad thing, its not having the need to better one's self, which is the problem... its the people who work at 7-11 and come home, get stoned, sleep, and go back to work at 7-11 the next day. those are the poeple that give weed a bad name... but of course, they smoke me out, so its all good...

Partner tgreene

Jun 28, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #116 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I smoke on rare occassion these days, just because there are only specific times when I enjoy it... I almost always reserve it for trips to the mountains, whether it be climbing, caving, or a whitewater trip.

The last time that I thoroughly enjoyed smoking anything was a year ago when I happened to be climbing on my birthday. A local climber had some killer hash that he offerred me as we were sitting on a tiny ledge overlooking a river. About a hour later (and a bag of cookies) I roped up on a TR and began climbing a route that I hadn't yet tried... When I went to pull the over polished slippery as hell shiney marble like crux, I blew off of it and hung upside down because my feet were wedged tightly into a horizontal crack. I musta been funny as hell for the 5 or 6 others there to be watching, because I just hung there silently like a freakin bat, never saying anything, and just plotting my next few moves to get over the crux. I never did pull the crux of that route, nor did I really give a shit, because I was just enjoying the climb for what it was! 8^)

I like to smoke on whitewater, because of the intensity of the focus that I have. When the "fear factor" is taken away, I'll run Class-VI death slots all day long, knowing that the slightest fuckup will result in my demise... I'm not a good enough climber to do this on lead or especially soloing, but on the water I'm as solid as I need to be!

arete

Jun 28, 2005, 7:17 PM
Post #117 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I lived in Yo back in the seventies, EVERY climber I knew was a stoner except maybe Werner (high on all that cosmic stuff) Braun. And I knew most of the locals. What was unusual was going climbing straight -- mostly occurred when we were down to seeds and stems. Hell, on Mescalito in '78, we smoked enough airplane weed to kill a laboratory rat. Never failed to catch my partner or have him catch me either.

About 16-17 years ago, I gave up all the controlled substance stuff and although I still drink a little (maybe 2 or 3 drinks a week on averaqe), I completely forget what its like to climb with the swifts and peregrins leaving trails all over the sky. But then again, if it wasn't for flashbacks, I wouldn't have any memory at all. Thirty three years of climbing and counting -- stoned or straight -- who cares? Only the days of joy matter.

fiend

Jun 28, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #118 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ah, the world we live in when PLANTS are illegal. Did the Gods make a mistake?

Word brah. If it grows, it's good.

I'm not going to get into my opinion on natural drugs, but I think that a lot of the people posting in support of pot are doing more harm than good. I could barely understand the point of a couple of these posts.

Hippays.

kydd76

Jun 28, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #119 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Ah, the world we live in when PLANTS are illegal. Did the Gods make a mistake?

Word brah. If it grows, it's good.

I'm not going to get into my opinion on natural drugs, but I think that a lot of the people posting in support of pot are doing more harm than good. I could barely understand the point of a couple of these posts.

Hippays.

kydd76

Jun 28, 2005, 8:13 PM
Post #120 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hippays.you are right most of the these post make no sense, but does climbing? really Harding was right to many climbers take them self's way to serious. why because we put are d__K to the wind? shit have fun with life, and climbing. you link on other plants, Informative but still to what point. so we can all see how important you are to your self, lighten up.

kydd76

Jun 28, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #121 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really? this question was to have some fun. I smoke, drink, and climb so what. I do not at the same time. climbing lead me out of that drug seen. but like arete mentioned. in the day, every one had something the used as a crutch. Really does not one get a buzz from a highball are hairy trad.
F--*.we all might have to stop all the fun and get real jobs. it was about who was the best stoner climber. not all this spray about how bad pot is, are the law. Cigarette's are worse. best was, this hippie kid haven a good climbin time in Morrison.

howweirddean

Jun 28, 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #122 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a stupid-ass question. If you are a stoner you are a loser.

prezwoodz

Jun 29, 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #123 of 123 (24705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Most of the more accomplished climbers that I know fall into two camps...

1. Really, really into getting really stoned/drunk. Often. And a lot.
2. Rarely if ever touch the stuff.

Most of the people from the second camp are in recovery for their addictions though.

Is it an addictive personality thing? I think so.

This is an interesting statement. I don't think it's entirely true, but you will be hard pressed to find a climber who won't drink around the campfire at night. I've gotten into the habit of bringing an extra 12 pack of beer beyond what I can drink to give to anyone else who lacks my foresight.

I've also been rather shocked by the sheer percentage of climbers who have at least some prior drug use history. I have yet to speak to a climber about weed, without them having stories about being baked.

I'm not sure why the strong correlation between climbing and drug use. Perhaps we are just more open in discussing it?

Travis

Ive Never Drank or Smoked Cigarretes and im Illergic to Pot. Never done any other kinds of drugs either. Im just boring i suppose ;) But i have never found a need for any of them. Ive always had fun without.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook