Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
NY Climbers Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Next page Last page  View All

freeskicolorado

Jul 7, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #201 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Re: NY Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
i can't seem to get ahold of the rev. doobs or that other hippie C. for directions to services on the rock for this weekend, if any one can help that would be outstanding....

I'm assuming they'll be in the same spot they were two weekends ago...

Go the the NY State Multi-Use (multi-abuse) area. Easy enough to find, go straight out of New Paltz on 299 towards the Gunks, look for all the cars on the left. If you end up where the road ends at 44/45, turn around and it's maybe 1/2 mile down from the intersection on the right. From the main parking area walk to the right to the campsite directly next to the road. I'm sure it won't be too hard to find since I'm sure the Reverend's service will include a large fire, many intoxicating beverages, and a profound amount of swearing.

all_that_is_rock

Jul 7, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #202 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nothing wrong with TRing at Peterskill, especially when bad weather threatens. Just watch out for the chiggers; little f--- got me last weekend, big time.

Have fun!

T
well if ya came over to the Mac wall with me you could have avoided the chiggers, and watched me whimper up mothersday party. :wink:

all_that_is_rock

Jul 7, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #203 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sure it won't be too hard to find since I'm sure the Reverend's service will include a large fire, many intoxicating beverages, and a profound amount of swearing.
you can fookin' bet your arse on that one

freeskicolorado

Jul 8, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #204 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Change of plans, I won't be making it to the Gunks this weekend after all... have a good time, everyone.

lockeyaaron

Jul 8, 2005, 1:16 PM
Post #205 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok guys I am leaving work for the house. It still doesnt look like we are going to be making it down there till around 930 or 1000 tonight though. If Dirt, Krista, if you get there before we do can you grab our spot for us. Would really appreciate it!! And dont worry everyone, I am holding service tonight to pray to the gods to keep the rain away!!! And yes there will be intoxicating drinks and lots of swearing. See you guys tonight.

Rev. Doobs

Partner taino

Jul 8, 2005, 1:41 PM
Post #206 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Nothing wrong with TRing at Peterskill, especially when bad weather threatens. Just watch out for the chiggers; little f--- got me last weekend, big time.

Have fun!

T
well if ya came over to the Mac wall with me you could have avoided the chiggers, and watched me whimper up mothersday party. :wink:

Charlie, the chances of my climbing something on the Mac wall fluctuate wildly between slim and none. At least I got some climbing in, at Peterskill. :P

Have a good weekend, folks; I'll be in Boston. Not climbing.

T

belvedere

Jul 8, 2005, 7:37 PM
Post #207 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Y'all,

I'm not sure this is the right place, but I really want to climb more this year than last. Sadly lack of experience (can't lead yet) and lack of partner makes this kinda hard. I'm in New Paltz pretty much every weekend and would love to follow some one and learn. I got all the basic stuff and a nut tool and I Really wanna climb! So......I'll follow any thing I can if you invite me along!
See Y'all :D

belvedere

Jul 8, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #208 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Y'all,

I'm not sure this is the right place, but I really want to climb more this year than last. Sadly lack of experience (can't lead yet) and lack of partner makes this kinda hard. I'm in New Paltz pretty much every weekend and would love to follow some one and learn. I got all the basic stuff and a nut tool and I Really wanna climb! So......I'll follow any thing I can if you invite me along!
See Y'all :D

maimed

Jul 11, 2005, 2:20 PM
Post #209 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome day at the Trapps yesterday. The place seemed deserted, considering the day was so prime weatherwise.
I did my first lead pitch on Bunny, (passive gear placement and rope management issues to work on). Then followed High E, which was empty except for the peregrines flying by. I ended up doing a variation from the Belay ledge up to the crux on the top pitch, climbing the vertical face of the right (Doubleissima) side of the arete before doing the squirm. Anybody know if that variation has a name besides 'How many yanks on the rope means "slack" again?'

lockeyaaron

Jul 11, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #210 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another great weekend in southern NY. The weather was shitty friday night but fortunalty for us Dirt and Betty already had the campsite all set up when we got there. Saturday was great, did the Mac Wall with Dirt gunning for us. Repayed him later that evening with a bottle of Jamison's. Yesterday about half the crew climbed while the rest of us just hung out and went swimming. Thankyou to everyone for making this another great weekend and we will be back down there the third weekend in Aug. See you guys there.

Peace, Rev. Doobs

lockeyaaron

Jul 11, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #211 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another great weekend in southern NY. The weather was shitty friday night but fortunalty for us Dirt and Betty already had the campsite all set up when we got there. Saturday was great, did the Mac Wall with Dirt gunning for us. Repayed him later that evening with a bottle of Jamison's. Yesterday about half the crew climbed while the rest of us just hung out and went swimming. Thankyou to everyone for making this another great weekend and we will be back down there the third weekend in Aug. See you guys there.

Peace, Rev. Doobs

Partner cracklover

Jul 11, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #212 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, thank *you* reverend, for that prayer on Friday night. The weather was perfect.

GO

climbingbetty22

Jul 11, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #213 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So much for repaying dirt with that bottle of Jameson considering Giz bogarted the whole thing!

But yeah, it was another amazingly fun weekend at the Gunks. Third weekend of August? I'm writing it in my calendar already! The esteemed Dirt Dangler should be free for a weekend visit by then as well.

Took my first lead fall this weekend as well. That was pretty exciting. Luckily I was able to get back on the horse the next day, somewhat! Thanks Gabe for the great catch and the excellent advice on that first piece!

Partner taino

Jul 11, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #214 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On what route did you fall?

T

climbingbetty22

Jul 11, 2005, 8:57 PM
Post #215 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sixish :oops:

Note to self: don't try to go for the wide stem between the opposing corners in the beginning. Especially not if the side pull is slippery.

Partner cracklover

Jul 11, 2005, 9:09 PM
Post #216 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Took my first lead fall this weekend as well. That was pretty exciting. Luckily I was able to get back on the horse the next day, somewhat! Thanks Gabe for the great catch and the excellent advice on that first piece!

You're welcome. Hey, a trip to the hospital would have ruined my day!

GO

Partner wormly81

Jul 12, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #217 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Monday was a bit hot in the Preserve but I'm not complaining when theres dry rock to climb. Started off the day on Drunkards and Morning After then used the midday heat as an excuse to head over to Peterskill for the first time. Found a squeeze chimney to lead (real fun) and toproped a couple interesting lines. (anyone know where I can find guidebook style information on peterskill?) Got back into the preserve around 4:30 and stretched off on Classic and Jackie. Good times.

Heading up to Boston to take care of some administrative BS. Looks like alot of moisture is headed this way soon :(

Jeff

climbingbetty22

Jul 12, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #218 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehe.. at first when you said you were heading up to Boston, I thought you mean the climb by CC route, not the city! I totally have Gunks on the brain! :roll:

Partner wormly81

Jul 12, 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #219 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope Im headed north (not to the uberfall :) )

Hopefully I'll be able to sneak up to Cannon but I have a feeling my roomates just wanna get shitfaced all weekend on Lake Winnipisauke. Oh well, I knew what I was getting into when I signed that lease.

Jeff

jackflash

Jul 13, 2005, 3:22 PM
Post #220 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yesterday I bought a year-membership to the Gunks. After avoiding the rangers for so long I feel so...legal. I finally got nabbed by one nearly two weeks ago and decided to cough up the rest of the green and get the pass. May it see plenty of use.

I wandered over to the Nears for the first time and did Yellow Ridge, Inverted Layback, Te Dum, and Broken Sling. Somehow I ended up with all the good pitches for my leads. The arete on Yellow Ridge is definitely worth doing again, and the crux of Inv. Layback was a blast, although I'll admit I was very worried about pulling it. We managed to get off the cliff and get our gear in the packs before the skies let loose.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 13, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #221 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from a road trip down south. Delta managed to lose one of my bags on a directflight.....messed up the trip quite nicely, waiting and waiting to hear about the bags. I was lucky to have gotten the bag with my shoes, helmet and harness, though.... Lost ALL my PrAna pants - quel horreurs! And a lot of camp gear - grrrrrr..... The bag never turned up. Let the games (of compensation) begin......

Note to self: Harness/shoes/helmet go in the carry-on. This was too close for comfort.

But, apart from that, and the rain, we did get some climbing days in. We climbed at Palisades in Alabama on Friday, and I led a 5.4 (Buckets) clean. Then my partner put me on Box Lunch. My first 5.7 lead. I got up the thing, but if the 5.4 was an on-sight, I would have to declare this lead a "not a pretty-sight"...... Dirtineye jugged up another line and acted as photgrapher, coach and whipmaster.....Now he's got pictures which he can blackmail me with. He says he can put up the send version or the hangdog version, depending on his whim.....there are some absolutely hi-larious shots of me with looks of utter terror, trying to commit to the crux.....

There was more, but alas I have not much time right now. We headed to the Big South Fork on Saturday and........well......ho-leee.....shiiiiiit. I saw only a tiny bit (a bit of the O & W Wall and walked Crackhouse Wall), but it is definitley a mecca of US climbing for those craving wilderness, adventure and hard, overhanging new lines. Section after section of auditorium-like caevernous cathedrals.

Anyway - I gotta get going. Work beckons. I'm looking for a Gunks partner for Saturday if the weather is workable.

climbingbetty22

Jul 13, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #222 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yesterday I bought a year-membership to the Gunks. After avoiding the rangers for so long I feel so...legal. I finally got nabbed by one nearly two weeks ago and decided to cough up the rest of the green and get the pass. May it see plenty of use.

Yeah, I've been threatening to buy an annual pass for the last several weeks now, but I think being legit would take all the fun out of it!

so jackflash- you're in Syracuse...how often to you get down to the Gunks? I live about 30 minutes west of Syracuse in the Finger Lakes....

jackflash

Jul 13, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #223 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been getting to the Preserve once every week or two recently, apart from some finger rehab. So far I've only been down on weekdays, because thats when the partners I find want to go. If you want to split a ride it doesn't take much arm-twisting to convince me to climb.

Partner taino

Jul 13, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #224 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, I've been threatening to buy an annual pass for the last several weeks now, but I think being legit would take all the fun out of it!

Nice to have the rest of us supporting all the free-loaders.

You're welcome. :roll:

T

climbingbetty22

Jul 13, 2005, 9:13 PM
Post #225 of 700 (51810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry T, I make enough contributions to the local economy in one way or another.

Before you get your panties in a bunch, remember you have a job. I'm a poor grad student. If you want, I'll formalize my charity and get you the tax number so you can write off your contribution. :roll:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook