RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

billcoe_

Sep 4, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

New Metolius Ropes (aka Monster Ropes)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looks like Metolius is coming into the competitive rope market with 2 branded ropes. (Didn't see this on Maculateds post or via search)

Unsure who is making it. They have a single 9.8 (not recommended for those over 175 lbs) *cough* me *cough* fatties/me* which is a uiaa 7 fall rope (note that my first kernmatle rope in 1975 (who hooo, got to retire my 2 goldlines!) was a 3 fall Edlelrid Classic fat 11mil rope. The other rope they have out is a 10.2 Uiaa single 10 fall rope.

They are saying that the tight braid of their rope will outlast others - they say it has "superior durability and handling". Unsure of who it is superior too though as they don't name names.

It's an interesting read on rope technology, and they appear to have introduced a couple of other items as well: check it out at

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/monsterropebrochure.htm

From their site:

" Monster Ropes is a fresh new line of dynamic climbing ropes designed specifically for today’s modern rock climber. Our design parameters were simple: use state-of-the-art technology to construct ropes that can withstand high loads and repeated heavy abuse without adding unnecessary weight or sacrificing performance. Monster Ropes are the creation of Europe’s most talented rope engineers, some of whom have been working on advanced rope technology for over twenty years. In our state-of-the-art manufacturing / testing facility, we have quietly been making the finest ropes on the continent. We are pleased to form an alliance with Metolius Climbing as our USA distributor. Few people can understand the incredible complexity that goes into building a modern-day climbing rope. Nor do they want to. What they do understand is a rope that just plain feels good in the hands, a rope that ensures the highest level of safety and significantly outlasts the competition. Monster Ropes follow these basic concepts: safety, durability, trustworthiness"

end of that blurb:

Lots more blah blah with full specs are on the site: price cough cough Price: cough 60m--$199.00 70m--$226.50. Must be a list price although the Yates ropes are is in there too are they not? (Wonder if this will be discounted to the $100 I like to pay for ropes? :lol:)

Comes with a Metolius Ropemaster rope bag.

Funny they don't mention the middle mark. Edelrid uses a piece of tape on their standard ropes, which seems to last approx 5.5 rappels. The last Mammut I bought looked like it had about a 6" strip of it dyed black, which is awesome and a BIG feature to me, more important than all the other blah blah that usually comes with a new rope (assuming it has uiaa approval) like impact force and stretch etc. since I rarely fall but rappel lots and lots.

But thats me.

When somebody gets their hands on one, how about sharing what you feel about the handling and what the middle mark looks like? Maybe some gearhead like Csoles or somebody can give some additional info as well like perhaps how they feel the specs compare to their favorites or other new ropes etc, etc.

Regards:

Bill

cgailey

Sep 18, 2004, 7:30 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Metolius Ropes (aka Monster Ropes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had the 10.2 going all summer and am pretty impressed with it. Out of all the ropes I've used, I can't say that it's my favorite, but it's up there. It has the feel of a mammut...that is that it stays pretty supple. It does stiffen up quite a bit once it's loaded, and I'm not that impressed with its recovery time. Most of my climbing on it has been on pretty mean rock, so I can't really complain about the overall durability; however, I have to say that it's better than most. I've abused it, and it has held up quite well. I'd recommend giving it a shot, especially since it comes with a ropemaster... :righton:

edit: it has a nice big black middle mark on it. It's still there too :D

choke

Nov 28, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm considering ordering one of these, does anyone else have any feedback on these ropes.

thanks

areyoumydude

Nov 28, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are Lanex ropes from the czech rep. Acme climbing used to bring them into the states. Now that Metolius is bringing them in they are charging twice the price. They were nice ropes when they cost $100.

sharpshootr987

Jul 11, 2005, 9:09 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love mammut... but this metolius rope sounds even better.

madrock

Aug 23, 2005, 3:32 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are pretty good ropes, I've had one for about two years. Mine is a Lanex but the same rope.

smearns

Aug 23, 2005, 3:50 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got my 9.8 monster rope a while ago. To me the rope feeds through belay devices a lot smoother than most ropes. I haven't had it for that long but I like it so far. I guess the middle mark is a 5" long section dyed in black. I like the 9.8 better than a 10.2 because it's easier to tie into. Also the ropemaster bag, in my opinion is more functional and easier to work with than the black diamond rope bag. I don't know if this deal still exists on backcountry.com but I got the monster rope, bag, ten metolius bent gate draws, and 1/2 pound of metolius chalk for $299. This was cheaper than buying these things separately. Anyways, expensive rope but definitely worth it!

billcoe_

Aug 23, 2005, 4:44 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They are Lanex ropes from the czech rep. Acme climbing used to bring them into the states. Now that Metolius is bringing them in they are charging twice the price. They were nice ropes when they cost $100.

Hi Larry! Long time and hello too!

Those Lanex ropes are awesome. My parttime partner Ujahn has one. I was feeling how supple it was and asked him what brand it was, he was like all embarrassed saying "ummm, some cheapo made in Czechoslovakia". The more i used it the more I like it. I've owned Chouinard, Beal, Mammut, Maxim, Edelrid and Eledweiss. I've climbed with folks like you on a bunch of other brands as well.

I think Ujahns may be my favorite rope ever. EVER. With one huge, as in BIG F*EN HUGE EXCEPTION. There is NO F*en middle mark. I refuse to buy a rope anymore without one. I think its because I'm a weak little pussy, and at the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is match ends and recoil to figure out where the middle is as I'm trying to get my tiered ass down to the ground via rappelling.

Having a middle mark can avoid that chance of rapping into space due to 1 end being too high. I had that almost happen one time to the 3rd person in a group I was with, and the person who had set the rope was a certified UIGMA Guide who I'd climbed with 20 plus years and I'd never seen him make a mistake like that.

I WANNNA MIDDLE MARK! WAAAAA! WAAAAAA! (crying sounds).

The Lanex website says they now are marking the middle, and nice to see in Smerns post that his has a great middle marking. I have 3 ropes currently, a Maxim bi-weave (nice), a Mammutt that has 2 huge dyed black middle marks (its great but too stiff), and an Edelrid that had a piece of tape that marked the middle which sucks: cause the tape lasted about 15 min and now I can't see the middle! So I have buy a Beal marker and do it myself.

Waaaa!

I really really like the Lanex ropes, and Ujahns is holding up pretty well too. But paying twice as much is out of my range.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook