RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

terss

Aug 3, 2002, 11:28 PM
Post #1 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Pain? What Pain?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was at the gym a while ago and noticed a guy next to me who was bouldering with a splint on his last two fingers of his right hand. I asked him what happened and he told me he broke the bones in both the day before. He said his doctor knew, however, that nothing short of a coma would keep him off rock so the doc just bandaged them up as well as he could. The guy was doing fine as far as I could tell - much better than me with all ten fingers fully functional - but I asked him if the pain got to him. His reply: Pain? What pain?

Just wondering what other sorts of injuries climbers have endured in order to get their needed climbing fix. Please, do tell.

farrensbooks

Aug 4, 2002, 1:27 AM
Post #2 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Pain? What Pain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was riding my bike once, and i slipped off the pedal and my shin slammed into the pedal (which is made out of metal) and I got a nice little 6 in. slash down my leg. The next day I could hardly walk, but i went rock climbing and it was great, i hardly felt anything.

~Keith

marcel

Aug 4, 2002, 1:43 AM
Post #3 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I broke my ankle once, but kept climbing with a walking cast. After a couple of days the doc had to put a new one on. The 2nd time I went back to get a new cast the doc made a deal and told me if I only climbed in heavy duty mountaineering boots he would take the cast off for good. He did, and I did.

eowyn1025

Aug 4, 2002, 3:10 AM
Post #4 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

did something to my big toe this afternoon...bruised the bone or something...never realized just how much you need that toe! anywho, kept climbing anyway....ARRR i had such a stinkin' blast tonight!!!!

ponyryan

Aug 4, 2002, 3:21 AM
Post #5 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A guy that works at my gym broke his ankle on long whipper. He kept climbing, then got lowered off. He drank most of a bottle of jack daniels and passed out. The next morning he decided he'd goto the hospital where they told him his ankle was broken in a few spots. He got a real nice cast and worked on his campusing for the next few weeks.

fiend

Aug 4, 2002, 3:22 AM
Post #6 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See? Drugs are good.

amsam

Aug 4, 2002, 4:22 AM
Post #7 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed just a day or two after getting concusions, my doctor always tells me to take it easy for a couple of days or even weeks, but I think he knows that I'm gonna keep climbing anyway.

soulclimberchick

Aug 4, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #8 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have gone climbing the day I twisted my knee, I just wrapped it up and started climbing! Same thing when I sprained my ankle... I sprained it at the rock climbing gym, iced it for 15 mins. wraped it up and started climbing. Sometimes nothing will stop me from climbing. Well, unless of course I like die or something...lol
Rock on...

~*Kira*~

wildtrail

Aug 5, 2002, 12:02 AM
Post #9 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

None. It is dangerous to do that. I wouldn't jeapordize my climbing for an injury. Outside of a few broken fingers (which is fine), I'm too careful with injuries. The thought of climbing on something and making it worse and losing more climbing time scares me. I'll never be a superman like Twight. I've paid the price on a sprained ankle once. Could have been a week off, but I climbed on it. Stupid. Lost most of the summer. Ouch. Could barely put pressure on it, let alone walk.

Ya know?

Steve

old_school

Aug 5, 2002, 12:45 AM
Post #10 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I broke my ankle snowboarding so I couldn't even think of bouldering or climbing for the fear that I might slam down on it. A little bit longer into the break I went any way. I had a cam walker that was real stiff so I couldn't bend my ankle and it felt wierd climbing on it. But it was worth it!

apollodorus

Aug 5, 2002, 1:19 AM
Post #11 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Pain is weakness leaving the body." - seen on some sort of surfer-type tee shirt

"Pain can be controlled. You just disconnect it." - Kyle, from the Terminator movie

"Never let the body tell the mind what to do. Always make the mind run the body." - General G.C. Patton

I recently tried to do a wall with no beer, booze or ibuprofen. The beer and the booze I could live without, but I was leaching ibuprofen from my partner as fast as I could. Ibo is not just a painkiller, but also an anti-inflammatory agent. This is nice to keep the blood flowing in those swollen fingers to clear out the crap and bring the good stuff back in. Ibo can cause liver problems, though, if you eat alot of it day after day after day after . . . .

And don't confuse Ibuprofen with Ibogaine, which is a hallucinogenic root from Africa.

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-08-04 18:24 ]

terss

Aug 6, 2002, 10:23 PM
Post #12 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for the stories. Yeah, I agree w/ wildtrail. Even though some stories are funny, it is seriously not a good idea to climb on an injury. Just the other day my friend and I decided to take a break for a day or so: we'd been climbing/bouldering for about a week straight and our elbows and shoulder joints were hurting enough to take some ibprofen to kill the pain. We shouldn't have even let it get that bad. We're probably heading out to give it a go tomorrow, but we'll take it slow.
Have fun, climb safe.

elvislegs

Aug 6, 2002, 10:36 PM
Post #13 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have this WICKED paper cut right now, but I am an alpine climber, we can take anything! ... (Pause to listen to the sound of hundreds of dead alpinists rolling over in their graves.) We're tough!

wildtrail

Aug 6, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #14 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sean!

I have a sliver. Does that count?

Steve

climbsomething

Aug 6, 2002, 10:59 PM
Post #15 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's not an injury really, but I went climbing the same day that I had a tooth pulled. (smart, no?) The slightly looped-up girl with the bloody, drooly face... that was me ew...

I've been really lucky- I rarely hurt myself *knocks on wood* The worst thing that's happened to me, really, is when I was moving into my new house and I got one end of my couch dropped on my foot. I was wearing shoes, but it hurt like a mo-fo for just a little blood blister on my big toe. I could still ram it into my climbing shoes though, so did it really count as an injury?

krustyklimber

Aug 6, 2002, 11:16 PM
Post #16 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a six inch steel plate in my leg that is from a compound fracture, the plate is giving me a lot of grief but not as much as the Achilles tendon that was pierced by the bone as it tried to exit my leg.

I also have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder, and severe Syatica (sic) which can feel some days like I was hit in the back pocket with a sledge hammer.

You'll recognize me as the guy with the grimace and the permanent limp.

People always say to me "are you sure you can take 6 Ibuprofen at once?"

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger!

Jeff

mtnjohn

Aug 6, 2002, 11:25 PM
Post #17 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not me but my partner on pitch 7 of a 10 pitch route took a short fall (10-15 ft.) broke a couple bones in his right and finished the route in rain and snow showers. He's always claimed that the rain caused his fall, I think he didn't want to lead the of the last pitches.
Just kidding Jeffe'

Partner missedyno

Aug 6, 2002, 11:52 PM
Post #18 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not much in comparison, but i had tennis elbow and just popped ibuprofen before climbing so if it hurt, i didn't need to know. unfortunately that didn't really help so i took a month off and then went easy. my arm finally healed. yay!

overlord

Aug 13, 2002, 8:19 PM
Post #19 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i tend to forget any pain save my tendons ripping when i climb. it just passes out of my counciousness.

CLIMB ON

rockjock04

Aug 13, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #20 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was doing this one sweet move involving my body being near horizontal. and as I was pulling up with my right heel hook, my knee popped. that sucker hurt like a monkey with hemroids. but I kept goin. I have no idea what it was but now the tendon in the back of my knee is sore.

now... about rock climbing. [music]Should I stay or should I go now?[/music]

climbjs

Aug 13, 2002, 8:58 PM
Post #21 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great post apolodorus! I like the quotes! I'd be hating it without the Ibuprofin (and beer).

[ This Message was edited by: climbjs on 2002-08-13 13:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: climbjs on 2002-08-13 13:59 ]

drake0

Aug 14, 2002, 2:05 AM
Post #22 of 22 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This past saturday I did some hard climbing and COMPLETLY fatuiged my hands. Now every day I wake up my fingers are swollen, my knuckles are black and blue, and it takes ten minutes of streching before I can make a fist.

I've decided to take a long break and wait until Thursday before I start climbing again...

-Drake

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook