Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Jan 18, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #51 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vegetarianism + climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
«Have you ever wondered why our canine teeth are so much shorter and duller than those of carnivorous animals, such as cats and dogs? Have you ever tried to rip the flesh from an animal you just hunted and killed using just your teeth? (If the answer is "yes," I don't want to know.)

»

In part, because we have large brains and grasping hands that can fashion tools with which to efficiently hunt animals, kill them, butcher them, and create fire to cook them. Thus we don't need canine teeth to effectively procur and eat meat. A different evolutionary path than canines and felines.

Nice speculation, anyway.

Edit: You're probably right. Other primates have larger canines, don't they?

Jay

tyson16v

Jan 18, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #52 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In part, because we have large brains and grasping hands that can fashion tools with which to efficiently hunt animals, kill them, butcher them, and create fire to cook them. Thus we don't need canine teeth to effectively procur and eat meat. A different evolutionary path than canines and felines.

this is true. and that is the reason that i use my large brain and grasping hands to make a choice to not eat other living creatures.
a much differnt evolutionary path than canines and felines.
in this day and age, we have a choice.

i will never argue the "humans were made to eat meat, or humans were made to eat plants" point.
like i stated before, we have a choice. i raise my dogs vegan. and once again, they are extremely healthy. i get checkups for them every 3 months, and they are always clean.
you can change your diet to be healthy, regardless.

styndall

Jan 18, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #53 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
«Have you ever wondered why our canine teeth are so much shorter and duller than those of carnivorous animals, such as cats and dogs? Have you ever tried to rip the flesh from an animal you just hunted and killed using just your teeth? (If the answer is "yes," I don't want to know.)

»

Nice speculation, anyway.

Jay

Better speculation would be to suggest that our ape ancestors subsisted mostly on plants and insects, with mostly opportunistic and occasional meat consumption, like modern chimpanzees.

Still just speculation, though.

annak

Jan 18, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #54 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do you mean by a "natural diet?" The diet on the island of Crete up till the 1960s? The diet of rural Okinawa? Both of those were almost vegetarian, and these populations had the longest lifespans in the famous Seven Countries Study. How about the hunter-gatherer diet of our hominid ancestors? I guess that was pretty "natural." Was it any healthier though? Who knows. Our ancestors didn't live long enough for us to find out. The Standard American Diet? There's an omnivorous diet that is most certainly unhealthy. The Inuit diet? Almost all meat and a really short average lifespan.

Well, antropologists say that the remains of hunters-gatherers demonstarte much better general health of a popuation than those of farming tribes -- I think these studies do account for possible differences in lifespan. Sure, we have to take into account the respective activity levels, and longer lifespans, etc, etc, etc.

There are plant sources of protein, but it seems that our bodies do not process it well enough -- as it follows from several references in this thread to a certain digestive system malfunction.

Overall, I agree with you that it is possible to maintain a healthy vegeterian diat. However, I insist that in practice it it much more demanding than maintaining a healthy omnivorous diet.

annak

Jan 18, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #55 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

»

Cheers,
Rob.calm

Oh, yes, the brain! I totally forgot about this one -- nice point indeed!

styndall

Jan 18, 2006, 6:56 PM
Post #56 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What do you mean by a "natural diet?" The diet on the island of Crete up till the 1960s? The diet of rural Okinawa? Both of those were almost vegetarian, and these populations had the longest lifespans in the famous Seven Countries Study. How about the hunter-gatherer diet of our hominid ancestors? I guess that was pretty "natural." Was it any healthier though? Who knows. Our ancestors didn't live long enough for us to find out. The Standard American Diet? There's an omnivorous diet that is most certainly unhealthy. The Inuit diet? Almost all meat and a really short average lifespan.

Well, antropologists say that the remains of hunters-gatherers demonstarte much better general health of a popuation than those of farming tribes -- I think these studies do account for possible differences in lifespan. Sure, we have to take into account the respective activity levels, and longer lifespans, etc, etc, etc.

There are plant sources of protein, but it seems that our bodies do not process it well enough -- as it follows from several references in this thread to a certain digestive system malfunction.

Overall, I agree with you that it is possible to maintain a healthy vegeterian diat. However, I insist that in practice it it much more demanding than maintaining a healthy omnivorous diet.

Does a kosher diet seem as much trouble to you as a vegetarian?

Really, neither of these dietary restrictions in any trouble at all in modern society, presenting little difficulty and having no penalties.

If civilization comes crashing down and grocery stores should no longer be ready sources of varied foodstuffs, I'll consider my omnivorous options. Until then, I'll exercise my ethical choice and stay healthy, while being astoundingly not inconvenienced.

leezerdgirl

Jan 18, 2006, 6:59 PM
Post #57 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
On protein: Just about everything you eat automatically has protein in it, and most people overconsume protein. Protein is only stored in the body as muscle and other tissue, so if you don't use the protein you eat in a day you just pee it away. The high protein diet craze seems to be on the wane and is being replaced by an emphasis on the importance of whole foods and variety, which in my opinion is a good thing.

In my opinion, that entire paragraph is nothing more than opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but what I wrote is good information. It's not opinion that just about all whole foods contain a percentage of protein. The stats I gave are from the US Department of Agriculture Handbook No. 456. You can do the math yourself if you know the number of calories and grams of protein in a serving of any food. Protein has four calories per gram, so multiply the number of grams of protein by four and divide that by the total calories to get the percentage of calories as protein.

I should have said "most Americans" rather than "most people," but it is a fact that most Americans overconsume protein if you define overconsume as "eat more protein than their body needs in a day for cellular function and tissue repair." This is not my opinion, it's the esteemed conclusion of the National Academy of Sciences and the World Health Organization. It is not opinion, it is physiological fact that the body has no good mechanism to store protein from day to day, unlike carbs and fat which are stored as fat. With protein, it's use it for immediate needs or lose it, and yes, the mechanism by which you lose it is through urine. Your kidneys work hard to process all that protein.

It's also fact that the high protein diet foods and books are not selling as well as they did in the 90s, and market researchers say that the fad has peaked. The Atkins corporation, for example, filed for bankruptcy back in August 2005. Google "Atkins bankruptcy" or "market research low carb" if you want more info.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Interesting factoid: Human breast milk, which is the perfect food for a baby that is growing faster than it ever will again and which will double its birth weight in six months, gets only 3% of the calories from protein. In comparison, spinach is 49% protein. Lentils are 29%. Cabbage is 22%. Even watermelon is 8% protein and pineapple is 3%. In fact, about the only whole, natural food that I can find on my charts which has less than 3% protein is apples (1%).

And be careful of misleading information. For example, in the list above the highest "%" of protein listed is spinach... well, 1 full cup of spinach contains ONE SINGLE whopping gram of protein... good luck. Another point to make is that, although babies are growing fast while sucking tit, they are NOT putting on much lean muscle mass

You're right that most people don't eat a lot of spinach in a sitting, and no one is going to get their protein primarily from spinach, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a high percentage of protein for the calories. The point I was trying to make is that if you're eating an adequate amount of varied-source calories in a day, you're getting a high percentage of protein automatically, unless all your calories come from pure fats and junk foods. People just don't realize how much protein is in the food they already eat, whether you calculate by grams of protein per volume or percentage of calories as protein.

Regarding babies putting on lean muscle mass, that seems like an odd point. As someone else pointed out, protein is used in all kinds of cellular function as well as tissue development, and babies are obviously doing a lot of "body building" even if it's not precisely lean muscle mass.

Anyway, I have no intention to attack whatever diet anyone chooses to follow. I'm just saying that for most folks it's pretty easy to get enough protein, regardless of whether you eat meat or not, as long as you're eating a variety of healthy things. There is a lot of money to be made from selling excess protein, so I recommend people be wary of the hype and learn what they really need and pay attention to how they feel. I think that's the best gauge of your diet--how you feel. Your body will tell you if you're missing something.

jred

Jan 18, 2006, 7:15 PM
Post #58 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i find it hilarious that everyone thinks that to be vegan or vegetarian, you must eat a bunch of tofu to get your protien. if you relied strictly on tofu for you protein intake, then no s--- you got sick and defficient in some areas. there are many other forms of protein that do not come from animals, and taste great.
i have been cruelty free for 15 years and climbing for 20. i am healthy as they come. my wife and i live as vegans and raise our dogs as vegans. our vet says he has never seen healthier dogs. http://vegancats.com/
if you want to become vegan, then there are a million websites and groups that will help you on your way to a healthy, 100% active lifestyle.
many prominant athletes are vegan, and are kicking butt.
it is so easy for people to blame a meatless diet on their shortcomings.
if you do it right, you will be very happy in your choice.
if you do it wrong, you will find an easy excuse to go back to killing things.
please take a look at these websites. there are many informative things that will help you live life cruelty free, and most importantly, healthy. they also have great recipes that will help you get away from the boring tofu.
http://vegan.org/
http://vegweb.com/
http://veggielife.com/
and regardless of what people think about peta (i dont agree with all their tactics), they do have some great stuff on their sites.
http://www.peta.org/living/

feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.
please folks try not to take my statements as offensive. i do not try to preach to much about this stuff and really do not judge you on your lifestyle choices.
This sort of self-righteous attitude is the reason why some people have little respect for vegans. To describe an omnivore as cruel for eating meat is about as stupid as forcing a carnivore to live as a herbivore.
lot of

leezerdgirl

Jan 18, 2006, 7:17 PM
Post #59 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, I agree there's not much utility in arguing what is natural for humans to do / eat. There are lots of things that are "natural" that I'm glad most human beings have decided not to do. Rape comes to mind. There are also plenty of unnatural things that I enjoy. Rapping down an exposed arrete goes against every instinct in my body for sure, and lord knows my family thinks I'm nuts. :)

tyson16v

Jan 18, 2006, 7:18 PM
Post #60 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Really, neither of these dietary restrictions in any trouble at all in modern society, presenting little difficulty and having no penalties.

If civilization comes crashing down and grocery stores should no longer be ready sources of varied foodstuffs, I'll consider my omnivorous options. Until then, I'll exercise my ethical choice and stay healthy, while being astoundingly not inconvenienced.

this is true. i will excersise my ethical choice as well.
and unlike most vegans on here, i do not have bad gas, or any digestive problems, at all.

Partner csgambill

Jan 18, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #61 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was a vegetarian for a long time. Mostly because I don't want animals to feel pain when they're murdered. But one day I was eating a stick of celery when I heard a faint crying sound. I looked around but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Then I looked down at my celery and realized that it was my celery crying from the pain of being eaten!! I was horrified at what I'd done. I finished the celery to put it out of it's misery. Then made a vow never to eat plants or meat again. Now I just eat dirt. I'm not sure how nutritious it is and I get kind of hungry when the ground is frozen, but at least I'm not causing any poor cute little plants and animals pain. I really hope dirt doesn't feel pain. Down with people, it's time for the rise of plants and animals!!!

annak

Jan 18, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #62 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've done kosher for a while. I consider it to be just as silly and pretentious a restriction as being a vegeterian.

In reply to:
I'll exercise my ethical choice and stay healthy, while being astoundingly not inconvenienced.

You do not do any good to anyone by being a vegterian -- read my previous posts on the subject. Think about agricultural wastelands and how many animals (and even entire species) were destroyed to provide you with veggie foods. Face it, by being a big animal placed high in the food chain (and not being able to syntesize nutritients from the elements and sunlight), your lifesupport place a high tax on the environment.

And it is not only food -- just think about all that toilet paper you use per year -- how many trees (and, consequently, wildlife) is that equivalent to???

There are better ways to decrease the impact and increase sustainability. Get rid of this obsenely large SUV, vote for public transportation, skip on chritsmas shopping, don't do barbeque, use less wrapping, reuse plastic bags, recycle, etc.

jt512

Jan 18, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #63 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't know what references you are talking about. From a digestibility standpoint, protein is protein. We absort a slightly smaller proportion of plant than animal protein, but only because the fiber in plants interferes slightly with absorption.

In reply to:

What you are suggesting is logically impossible. To a first approximation, meat is nothing but protein and unhealthy fat. Compared to grains, legumes, nuts, and vegetables, which contain a broader range of nutrients -- protein, carbohydrate, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant phytochemicals -- meats are about as unbalanced a food as you can think of (aside from processed foods). What you are suggesting is that by substituting more balanced foods for less balanced ones, that the diet will be less nutritionally adequate. This would only be true if vegetarian diets were deficient in protein, the one beneficial nutrient that meats are high in, but vegetarian diets are protein adequate.

Jay

annak

Jan 18, 2006, 8:11 PM
Post #64 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you are suggesting is logically impossible. To a first approximation, meat is nothing but protein and unhealthy fat. Compared to grains, legumes, nuts, and vegetables, which contain a broader range of nutrients -- protein, carbohydrate, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant phytochemicals -- meats are about as unbalanced a food as you can think of (aside from processed foods). What you are suggesting is that by substituting more balanced foods for less balanced ones, that the diet will be less nutritionally adequate. This would only be true if vegetarian diets were deficient in protein, the one beneficial nutrient that meats are high in, but vegetarian diets are protein adequate.

Jay

No, Jay, what I said is absolutely correct. Cutting off fish and meat leaves you with less choices. In theory, one can live off tofu, beans, and raw veggies indefenitely, but in practice many of real human vegeterians fall for unhealthy (vegeterian) choices -- processed foods, loads of cheese or oils, etc. Lets say, chicken with boiled broccolly is a perfectly satisfying meal, but it takes more effort to make tofu and broccolly pleasing to your tastebuds. Read any vegeterian cookbook -- the recipies generally involve much more food processing (and often are high in fat and simple carbs) to make up for the lack of meats.

paul3eb

Jan 18, 2006, 8:12 PM
Post #65 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

arguments about what is right or wrong about it aside, i will say be careful. being vegie and being active is a tricky balance and, to some extent, you may have to accept some trade-offs.

-obviously, protein. not all protein is made equally. make sure you're getting complete proteins. usually you'll have to get it from several sources. remember this acronym: don't get love sick. it stands for dairy, grain, legumes, and seeds. mix any two consective categories (d+g, g+l, l+s) and you'll usually get a complete protein.

-consider your reasons for doing it. if you just don't like or want meat, that's pretty simple. but if you're doing it for enviromental reasons, do some homework. fish can be just as bad if not worse than land animals (especially shrimp). and soy products aren't exactly the perfect answer, either. consider how much brazilian rainforest has been cleared for soy. figure out your reasons and beliefs and let them guide your choices.

-though i have no factual evidence to prove it, i've seen plenty of people quit being veggie and then get a lot stronger climbing. which is more important to you?

there's plenty more but i think everyone else has covered the big points. let us know how it goes.. it's back to work for me

leezerdgirl

Jan 18, 2006, 8:18 PM
Post #66 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
i find it hilarious that everyone thinks that to be vegan or vegetarian, you must eat a bunch of tofu to get your protien. if you relied strictly on tofu for you protein intake, then no s--- you got sick and defficient in some areas. there are many other forms of protein that do not come from animals, and taste great.
i have been cruelty free for 15 years and climbing for 20. i am healthy as they come. my wife and i live as vegans and raise our dogs as vegans. our vet says he has never seen healthier dogs. http://vegancats.com/
if you want to become vegan, then there are a million websites and groups that will help you on your way to a healthy, 100% active lifestyle.
many prominant athletes are vegan, and are kicking butt.
it is so easy for people to blame a meatless diet on their shortcomings.
if you do it right, you will be very happy in your choice.
if you do it wrong, you will find an easy excuse to go back to killing things.
please take a look at these websites. there are many informative things that will help you live life cruelty free, and most importantly, healthy. they also have great recipes that will help you get away from the boring tofu.
http://vegan.org/
http://vegweb.com/
http://veggielife.com/
and regardless of what people think about peta (i dont agree with all their tactics), they do have some great stuff on their sites.
http://www.peta.org/living/

feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.
please folks try not to take my statements as offensive. i do not try to preach to much about this stuff and really do not judge you on your lifestyle choices.
This sort of self-righteous attitude is the reason why some people have little respect for vegans. To describe an omnivore as cruel for eating meat is about as stupid as forcing a carnivore to live as a herbivore.
lot of

Jred, I won't argue that eating meat is cruel in and of itself. But if you or anyone out there thinks there is no cruelty involved in the production of the meat you buy at the grocery store or get from restaurants, you should go find out about modern farm and slaughter house practices. If you treated a pet that way, people would be appalled and you could be prosecuted. I will spare all y'all the descriptions here, but anyone who wants to talk about the ethics of dietary choices really should do the research.

It's funny to me that some of the same people (not necessarily jred) who argue it's not cruel to eat meat think its cruel to feed my dog vegan kibble. As if being denied meat is more pain and suffering than what food animals endure.

Believe me, I have been looking hard even for commercial dairy products that are produced from cows that live and die under humane conditions. I want to find them. I have done lots of research. I can't find them. Even if organic or free-range animals live a good life (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't--"organic" does not include rearing conditions in the certification, and "free range" is not defined by any oversight agency or certification standard), they still die in the same awful slaughterhouses. You can still choose to eat animal products, of course, but you should know how it gets to your plate and make the choice with your eyes open.

tyson16v

Jan 18, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #67 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
="jredThis sort of self-righteous attitude is the reason why some people have little respect for vegans. To describe an omnivore as cruel for eating meat is about as stupid as forcing a carnivore to live as a herbivore.
lot of

i am hardly looking for respect from people like you. i am asking for you to respect the life of those that cannot defend themselves, those that die for your consumption, so that you can live a "healthy" carnivorous life.

caughtinside

Jan 18, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #68 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
="jredThis sort of self-righteous attitude is the reason why some people have little respect for vegans. To describe an omnivore as cruel for eating meat is about as stupid as forcing a carnivore to live as a herbivore.
lot of

i am hardly looking for respect from people like you. i am asking for you to respect the life of those that cannot defend themselves, those that die for your consumption, so that you can live a "healthy" carnivorous life.

It almost sounds like you're talking about people.

styndall

Jan 18, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #69 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You do not do any good to anyone by being a vegterian -- read my previous posts on the subject. Think about agricultural wastelands and how many animals (and even entire species) were destroyed to provide you with veggie foods. Face it, by being a big animal placed high in the food chain (and not being able to syntesize nutritients from the elements and sunlight), your lifesupport place a high tax on the environment.

This is wrong. It is true that I do use a lot of resources. However, as a vegetarian, I'm cutting down on the amount of land required to sustain my diet. A fixed amount of land is required for growth of friuts, vegetables, and grains. Many of these grains are fed to me, and many are fed to cows, chickens, and other food animals. A fixed amount of land is required for these animals, in pasture and run (not the case with factory farming, but that's another barrell of monkeys) in stockards, in processing, and the like.

Note that my diet doesn't require the amount of land set aside for production of foodstuffs for livestock or the amount of land set aside for housing and pasture of livestock.

My tax on the land is still extent, but is thus reduced.

It's essentially the same thing as choosing to drive a two-door Civic (which I do, by the way) instead of a larger, less efficient vehicle. I still have a negative impact, but I make choices to reduce this impact.

In reply to:
And it is not only food -- just think about all that toilet paper you use per year -- how many trees (and, consequently, wildlife) is that equivalent to???

There are better ways to decrease the impact and increase sustainability. Get rid of this obsenely large SUV, vote for public transportation, skip on chritsmas shopping, don't do barbeque, use less wrapping, reuse plastic bags, recycle, etc.

These are all good ideas. I indulge in many of them, and I hope and expect that you do as well. It's strange that you have such sensible ideas about these things and yet disregard and be actively hostile to thinking about the ecological advantages of a vegetarian diet.

roy_hinkley_jr

Jan 18, 2006, 9:11 PM
Post #70 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an SUV-driving omnivore who doesn't have kids, I am far more of an environmentalist than the hybrid-owning vegan who breeds rug rats. Hell, I could buy a Hummer and eat meat everyday and still have less impact on the planet than an envirowhacko who raises a single child in the US.

oafy

Jan 18, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #71 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People have been eating meat for millions of years, its a part of life!!...I dont see anything wrong with Vegheads...but come on on think about grazing cattle at any level, or agriculture in general...Its grose what people think is right, and soy "do people know how much shit goes on soy beans to keep them" Come on now people....if you wanna eat meat, by local and from a organic Farmer....and if you wanna eat veggies then buy from the organic farmer...I know this is a hard concept...but people really need to know the facts before they say things. Do some research!!...
Meat has been a major part of every indeginous group and civilization since the start of mankind. So if you yuppies wanna say your a veghead then so be it, dont preech and think your cool cause your a veggie...If your just eatin veggies cause you think it will help you climb...your wrong, you know why people Plateau its cause they dont realize why they truely climb what holds them to a rock, its not what you eat....its your passion for life, its your passion to see things others do not...Alright hope you guys enjoy my thoughts!

jt512

Jan 18, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #72 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Jay

No, Jay, what I said is absolutely correct. Cutting off fish and meat leaves you with less choices.

Anna, when you remove a food from your diet you have to make up for the lost calories from other foods. If you cut out meat and make up the calories from plant foods, the variety of foods in your diet might go down, but the variety of nutrients in your diet goes up. Because meat is just protein (for all intents and purposes), whereas plant foods are combinations of protein plus other important nutrients.

In reply to:
In theory, one can live off tofu, beans, and raw veggies indefenitely, but in practice many of real human vegeterians fall for unhealthy (vegeterian) choices -- processed foods, loads of cheese or oils, etc.

You're incorrect. In the US, vegetarian diets are typically more nutritious than omnivore diets. See Haddad EH and Tanzman JS. What do vegetarians in the United States eat? Am J Clin Nutr. 78:626S-632S. Compared with non-vegetarians, vegetarians, on average, have higher intakes of the following vitamins and minerals: vitamin A, carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, thiamine, folate, calcium, magnesium, and copper. In contrast, vegetarians have lower intakes of only niacin, vitamin B12, and zinc. Thus, although foods are theoretically more restricted, vegetarian diets are more nutritious than omnivore diets in the US (on average, of course). If fact, it is because foods are more restricted that vegetarian diets are more nutritious, because the plant foods that are consumed in place of meats are, on average, more nutritious foods.

In reply to:
Read any vegeterian cookbook -- the recipies generally involve much more food processing (and often are high in fat and simple carbs) to make up for the lack of meats.

Then you're reading the wrong vegetarian cookbooks. All the one's I've looked at are based on whole, minimally processed foods.

Jay

jred

Jan 18, 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #73 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
lot of

This is a joke right? Are you seriously going to take your self righteous attitude and apply it to the vast majority of the species?
What makes you think that I have no respect for life? I have visited a veal farm ,I do not eat veal. I eat organic free range beef/chicken whenever possible (often). I would never wear fur or hunt for anything other than survival. I do not own a dog because I feel that they are a luxury that consumes too much. I love and respect all animals for both their beauty and the sacrifice they make in the cycle of life. I am a human, as a species we are omnivores, sorry.

annak

Jan 18, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #74 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

This is wrong. It is true that I do use a lot of resources. However, as a vegetarian, I'm cutting down on the amount of land required to sustain my diet. A fixed amount of land is required for growth of friuts, vegetables, and grains. Many of these grains are fed to me, and many are fed to cows, chickens, and other food animals. A fixed amount of land is required for these animals, in pasture and run (not the case with factory farming, but that's another barrell of monkeys) in stockards, in processing, and the like.

Note that my diet doesn't require the amount of land set aside for production of foodstuffs for livestock or the amount of land set aside for housing and pasture of livestock.

My tax on the land is still extent, but is thus reduced.

Your logic is correct, but you need specific numbers to justify your conclusions. You may need a larger base for a vegeterian pyramid, for the following reason: you do not produce proteins from the same plants hebrivores do, you need to consume them from different plants. Thus, to make a just comparison of the impacts we need to know how much land and other resources are required to produce 1 g of a digestable soy protein versus one gram of a bovine or poultry protein. I do not know the numbers, but I would not be surprised if the animal protein requires less -- after all, evolution means efficiency.

lmcwil

Jan 18, 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #75 of 522 (25299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic has probably already been over-debated, but barely anyone has suggested the following advice:

Listen to your body.

Unless you feel a very strong moral aversion to eating meat/fish/whatever, why not try out a couple of different diets for a few months and see how your body reacts to it? Some people do great on a vegetarian diet; not everybody does. I tried eliminating most meat/poultry from my diet and only having a little fish and dairy. After a couple of months I decided to try to re-introduce chicken because I felt like my energy levels were low. When I started eating chicken again I felt better. On the other hand, I still don't eat beef because it tends to make me feel worse. Tofu is another thing you have to careful with, since for some people it throws off their hormones (soy is a source of phytoestrogens, which is why a lot of menopausal women take soy-based supplements).

Everyone's body is different so why expect one diet to work for everyone?

WIth respect to climbing, I have found the main issue is that I need to eat MORE than I normally would. If I know I'm going to be climbing later in the day, I consume extra calories in the morning and it has *vastly* improved my climbing. Complex carbs- which you get from veg sources, are definitely good to bulk up on because they keep on giving you energy for hours after you've finished eating.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook